Author Topic: Why topics are deleted?  (Read 3813 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Why topics are deleted?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Graham,
Truly appreciate your efforts.I am happy to find Anil's posts more or less in tact.I will be happy to have this backup restored.I suggest that others may take a backup of whatever they would like to be retained in the  'post february' phase and post the same once you restore the backed up version.
I wish and hope Anil will be back to continue his posts.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
Dear Sri Graham

Thanks for your efforts .I also support your efforts to have the backup restored . So now the onus is on us to make backups of the posts we made since the first week of february .
So I approve of the restoration of the backups .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »
Yes happy for the backup graham ji.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Dear Ravi,

You said that Siva has burnt all the topics on that Sivaratri Day.  Now Narayana is recreating and going to sustain those
old topics, like He went into the ocean and came back with the World which was stolen by Hiranyakshaka.

I only remember this famous verse of Tirumangai Aazhwar in Periya Tirumozhi - 956.

Narayana will give all that we want, lineage, wealth, etc., and also remove the sufferings of the devotees. He will
confer Vaikuntam.  He will with grace gives us large lands. All He will give.  He will do good more than a mother.
We have only to say that mantra Narayana, Narayana, Narayana. 

குலம் தரும் செல்வம் தந்திடும் அடியார்
 படு துயராயின வெல்லாம்
நிலந்தரஞ் செய்யும் நீள் விசும்பருளும்
 அருளோடு பெரு நிலம் அளிக்கும்
வலந்தரும் மற்றும் தந்திடும் பெற்ற
 தாயினும் ஆயின செய்யும்
நலந்தரும் சொல்லை நான் கண்டு கொண்டேன்
 நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:27:19 PM by Subramanian.R »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
Subramanian,
Wonderful verse and thanks very much for the contextual insight!  :)

Here is an Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
God alone has become all this-maya, the universe, living beings, and the twenty-four cosmic principles. 'As the snake I bite, and as the charmer I cure.' It is God Himself who has become both vidya and avidya. He remains deluded by the maya of avidya, ignorance. Again, with the help of the guru, He is cured by the maya of vidya, Knowledge'.

We were bitten so to say by the 'Snake' around Siva's neck and had swooned and now we are restored so to say by the charmer 'mAmAyan' nArAyanA!

Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
Dear Graham Sir,

Thank You very much for Your efforts to restore all the posts. I also agree with it.

You also mentioned that several hundeds of posts should be deleted,so i guess that should be done again. I supose it is a big work,so if there is anything which should be erased,which simply do not belongs here,kindly tell us to help if it is possible or needed.

With love and prayers,
        Love

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
Dear Sri Graham,

I just returned from duty and saw your post announcing that you, after great effort, managed to obtain a backup version of the original database dated 9th Feb, 2014. I do not have words to express my gratitude. Thank you.
I agree with Sri Ravi that once the backup version is restored we should ourselves post whatever we would like to be retained ‘post 9th February'.

I would certainly start posting soon. Thanks once again, dear Sri Graham, for your Herculean effort, and succeeding at last.   

Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:45:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
Hi all,

I hope you can keep the shivarati 2014 thread

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=8177.0

Thank God you found a back-up because I love reading and re-reading some of the really old posts.

Sorry to hear you lost the restored photographs years ago and had to recreate them.

Child of Arunachala

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »
Dear All,

Please backup what you can of your posts from 9th February 2014 until Thursday 6th March 2014 midnight UST.

That will be 5.30am Friday 7th March here in Tiruvannamalai and at that time I will switch databases and do a clean install of the forum software, which hopefully will get rid of any bugs.

The restored backup of the database will become this forum default version and the current forum database (the one you are using now) will be switched to the temporary forum and left there for a couple of weeks in case you forgot to save anything.

Please back up your data if you value it.

Best wishes

Graham

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »

:D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:23:01 PM by Nagaraj »

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »
Dear Grahamji,

I am glad you got a backup and are able to restore. Thank you for all your effort in maintaining this forum. It has helped me a lot and it is Satsang to visit the forum.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:15 AM »
Dear Graham Sir,

Your post No. 38.  The temporary forum created for transferring the posts after 27th Feb. is a welcome feature.
Can you kindly tell me whether we can cut and paste the posts from the temporary forum to the proposed forum,
so that the posts after 27th also can easily be brought into main forum, now proposed?

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
Graham,
I find that some strange characters are creeping into the posts(may be to do with format change of the backed up text):
Example-""Since ‘the Kathamrita’ has been written on the basis of first class evidence, the lawyers, the scientists and then the Westerners will be able to appreciate the real value
of this book."
Is it possible to fix this?
Namaskar.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
Dear All,

You will be able to copy and paste topics and posts.

The strange characters noted by Ravi generally occur when text is copied and pasted from a Mac or from some word processing program using 'smart quotes', rather than a simple text editor.

It has to do with how quotes are interpreted by the web page/browser/email program. If the web page or program does not support UTF8 then smart left and right quotes will appear as three characters (left ‘ and  ’ right).

On the web it is always best to use a simple plain text editor to copy and paste things from, as plain text does not bring up errors.

This page explains it better - http://ask-leo.com/why_do_i_get_odd_characters_instead_of_quotes_in_my_documents.html

Graham
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:34:13 PM by Graham »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »
Graham,
Thanks very much.I find that it has mostly to do with the characters : '  " .Mostly these are getting misrepresented.We can live with it and correct it as and when we come across it in the posts.
Namaskar.