Author Topic: The Bridal Garland of Letters in praise of Sri Arunachala by Sri Sadhu Om  (Read 5048 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Translation by Michael James
The Bridal Garland of Letters in Praise of Sri Arunachala

ஸ்ரீ அருணாசல அக்ஷரமணமாலை

தருண அருணமணி கிரண ஆவலி நிகர்
தரும் அக்ஷர மண மகிழ் மாலை
தெருள் நாடிய திரு அடியார் தெருமரல்
தெளிய பரவுதல்  பொருளாக
கருணாகர முனி ரமண ஆரியன் உவ
கையினால்  சொலியது  கதியாக
அருணாசலம் என அகமே அறிவொடும்
ஆழ்வார் சிவனுலகு ஆள்வாரே

Those who sink into the Heart with the thought ‘Arunachala’-taking as a means this joyful Akshara-manamalai-(the bridal  garland of letters), which is like a series of golden rays of the rising sun and which  was sung in divine ecstasy by our Guru, Muni Ramana, the Embodiment of Grace, as a refuge, as a prayer to dispel the ignorance of good devotees who seek enlightment –will rule Siva-Loka(that is, they will  become one with Lord Siva Himself).     Sri Muruganar

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:35:51 AM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
காப்பு

அருணாசல வரற்கு ஏற்ற அக்ஷர மண மாலை சாற்றக்
கருணா கர கணபதியே கரம்   அருளிக் காப்பாயே

O Ganapati, the bestower of Grace  protect me  by Giving Your helping hands so that I may make and offer a Bridal Garland of Letters worthy of the bridegroom, Arunachala.

அருணா சலசிவ அருணா சலசிவ 
அருணா சலசிவ அருணா சலா!
அருணா சலசிவ அருணா சலசிவ 
அருணா சலசிவ அருணா சலா!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:37:12 AM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
1. அருணாசலமென அகமே நினைப்பவர்
     அகத்தை வேர் அறுப்பாய் அருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, You root out the ego of those who think 'Arunachalam' in the heart.

2. அழகு சுந்தரம் போல் அகமும் நீயும் உற்று
    அபின்னமாய் இருப்போம் அருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, may 'I' and 'You' like Azhahu and Sundaram, unite and be non-different.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:39:05 AM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
3. அகம் புகுந்து ஈர்த்து உன் அக குகை சிறையாய்
     அமர்வித்தது  என்கொல் அருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, having entered my heart and having drawn me (towards you),
       You have kept me as a prisoner in the cave of Your heart.  What (a wonder is the Grace of Yours)!

4. ஆருக்கா எனை ஆண்டனை அகற்றிடில்
       அகிலம் பழித்திடும்  அருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, for whose sake did You take me as Your own? If You now reject forsaking me, the world will blame You.

Note:  Arunachala has taken possession of the devotee not because of the recommendation of anyone else, but only because of His own uncaused grace.  After such a spontaneous act of grace, if Arunachala now forsakes the devotee, the whole world will blame him.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:41:36 AM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
5. இப்பழி தப்புனை யேனினைப் பித்தா
      யினியார் விடுவா ரருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, escape this blame.  Why did You make me think of You? Now who can leave
        (the bond which You have thus created between us)?

Note:  Having made the devotee think of Him, Lord Arunachala has created a bond from which neither He nor the devotee can escape.  Therefore, to escape the blame of the world, Lord Arunachala must now complete His work by destroying totally the ego of the devotee.

6.ஈன்றிடு மன்னையிற் பெரிதருள் புரிவோ
   யிதுவோ வுனதரு ளருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, who is far more gracious than one's own mother,(if You now forsake me) is this Your grace?

Balaji

• View Profile
7. உனையே மாற்றி யோடா துளத்தின்மே
     லுறுதியா யிருப்பா யருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, be seated firmly upon my mind so that it may not cheat You
 and run away (due to desire for the outside world)

8. ஊர்சுற் றுளம்விடா துனைக்கண் டடங்கிட
      வுன்னழ கைக்காட் டருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, show me your beauty so that, by seeing you uninterruptedly,
my mind, which (by nature)wanders about the world, may subside ' in You, the real Self, and never leaving you).

Note: The word "Vidadu" may be taken to mean either uninterruptedly or not leaving.  In this translation  both meanings are incorporated, the former without brackets  and the latter within brackets.

Balaji

• View Profile
9.   எனையழித் திப்போ தெனைக்கல வாவிடி
        லிதுவோ வாண்மை யருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, is this manliness, if You do not now unite with me, destroying me (my ego or the sense of individuality)?

10.  ஏனிந்த வுறக்க மெனைப்பிற ரிழுக்க
        விதுவுனக் கழகோ வருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, when others are dragging me away, why this (seeming) sleep? Does this befit You?

Explanatory Note:  O Arunachala, when the desires for external objects are dragging me away from
      You, the real Self, why do you pretend to sleep as if You do not know what is happening? 
      Since I rightfully belong only to You, does this indifference on Your part befit You?

Balaji

• View Profile
11.   ஐம்புலக் கள்வ ரகத்தினிற் புகும்போ
        தகத்தினீ யிலையோ வருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, when the thieves,(the desires for the objects known through) the five senses,
       entered my heart, were You   not in my heart?(already)

12.  ஒருவனா முன்னை யொளித்தெவர் வருவா
       ருன்சூ தேயிது வருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, unknown to You, who are the One (who alone truly exist), who can come(into my heart)? 
       Therefore,(when those thieves entered my heart ) it was only Your trick.

Balaji

• View Profile
13.  ஓங்கா ரப்பொரு ளொப்புயர் வில்லோ
       யுனையா ரறிவா ரருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, import of the sound 'Om', unequalled and unsurpassed,
       who can know You(as You are)?

14.  ஒளவைபோ லெனக்குன் னருளைத் தந்தெனை
       யாளுவ துன்கட னருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, like a mother (who is  spontaneously kind to her own child),
       it is Your duty to bestow Your grace upon me  and to take me as Your own.

Balaji

• View Profile
15.   கண்ணுக்குக் கண்ணாய்க் கண்ணின்றிக் காணுனை
          காணுவ தெவர்பா ரருணாசலா

O Arunachala, who can see You, who being the eye to the eye, sees  without eyes ?  (Therefore) See me (by turning the glance of Your grace upon me).

Note:  The Tamil word  ‘kan’ literally means eye,  but is also used figuratively to mean consciousness. Arunachala is the eye to the eye; that is, it is the consciousness which illumines the mind, which sees through the physical eyes.   Since the very nature of the mind is to see only second and third person objects through the eyes and other senses, how and by what eye can it see Arunachala, which is the reality of itself, the first person?
By itself, the mind is insentient, like a reflection in a mirror.  If we wish the eyes of our reflection to see us, we must see them, must we not? Likewise, since the mind is only a reflection of Arunachala, the real Self, it can see Arunachala only when Arunachala graciously sees it.  Therefore in this verse the devotee prays to Arunachala to see him by turning the glance of Its grace upon him.

If we wish the eyes of our reflection in a mirror to look at us , we should look at them, should we not? Our reflection seeing us is nothing but our seeing it.   They are not two separate actions.   The cause that makes that reflection see us, is our seeing it , is it not? Likewise, ’we’ the unreal Jiva, are only a reflection of the Sadguru, who is Self, the Supreme Reality.  If we wish to see our Self or Guru, we cannot do so unless He, by His grace, turns His gracious look upon us.   That is why this prayer for his gracious look is made.

16.   காந்த மிரும்புபோற் கவர்ந்தெனை விடாமற்
          கலந்தெனோ டிருப்பா யருணாசலா. 

O Arunachala atttracting me as a magnet attracts iron, by united with me and never leave me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:51:46 PM by Balaji »

deepa

• View Profile
Re: The Bridal Garland of Letters in praise of Sri Arunachala by Sri Sadhu Om
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
Hari Om Balaji-ji,
Why do you say "By Sri Sadhu Om" in title of this thread? Is the translation by Sri Sadhu Om?
I opened it thinking it is something else.. confused!
Deepa

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »
Dear Madam Deepa

The Book Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam

Word by Word in Tamil translated to English
Meaning-  Sri Sadhu Om
Translation: Michael James.

I post Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai from this book.

In this book Sri Sadhu Om explains word-for- word meanings of Sri Bhagavan Ramana's verses .

It is easy to read in tamil and english like ,

கருணை                 Karunai                  of grace
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:49:16 AM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
17.  கிரியுரு வாகிய கிருபைக் கடலே
         கிருபைகூர்ந் தருளுவா யருணாசலா

O Arunachala, Ocean of Grace in the form of a Hill, being intensely gracious, bestow grace upon me.

18.  கீழ்மே லெங்குங் கிளரொளி மணியென்
         கீழ்மையைப் பாழ்செய் யருணாசலா.     

O Arunachala, Gem of light which shines everywhere, both in the low and in the high,
       destroy my lowness(my base and impure nature).

Explanatory Note:  O Arunachala, You are the pure and precious light of consciousness which shines in me as 'I am' in all places and at all times, both when my mind is in a low and impure state , and when it is in a highly mature and pure state.   Since You are therefore unaffected and undefiled either by my purity or by my impurity, reveal to me your true nature and thereby destroy my baseness.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
19.   குற்றமுற் றறுத்தெனைக் குணமாய்ப் பணித்தாள்
        குருவுரு வாயொளி ரருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, who shine as the form of Guru, enslave me,
        destroying my defects entirely (along with their root, the ego) and endowing me with good  qualities.

20.    கூர்வாட் கண்ணியர் கொடுமையிற் படாதருள்
          கூர்ந்தெனைச் சேர்ந்தரு ளருணாசலா.

O  Arunachala, being intensely gracious  join with me ( to protect me)
         so that I may not be ensnared in the alluring (delusive) cruelty of sharp sword eyed (women) people.

This also indicates jealous eyed people.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:37:08 AM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
21.  கெஞ்சியும் வஞ்சியாய்க் கொஞ்சமு மிரங்கிலை
          யஞ்சலென் றேயரு ளருணாசலா.

O Arunachala , though I humbly entreat You, like a cheat You do not show
      even the least pity.(Now, at least) bestow your grace( and give me refuge)saying, 'fear not'.

22.   கேளா தளிக்குமுன் கேடில் புகழைக்
          கேடுசெய் யாதரு ளருணாசலா.

O Arunachala , instead of blemishing your blemishless fame of giving unasked,
        bestow your grace upon me.

Note: Arunachala has attained blemishless fame by His knowing and answering the needs
       of His devotees even  before they pray to Him.   Therefore, if He does not bestow His grace even after
       the devotee has humbly entreated Him so much His fame will surely be blemished.