Author Topic: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,  (Read 8376 times)

Krishnan

• View Profile
Re: Sri Bhagavan and animals, birds etc.,
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Dear Sri. Subramanian,

Thank you very much for these stories! Please continue to post more such anecdotes!

Namaskarams,
Krishnan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
Crow and the Parrot:

In addition to the animal shrines in Sri Ramanasramam, Bhagavan constructed two more samadhis for animals  while
He was still on the Hill.  The first one was for the pet peacock which  lived at Skandasramam, which died on Bhagavan's
lap.  The second one is for a parrot. 

One day, Echammal, one of the earliest devotees of Bhagavan, was climbing the Hill after giving bhiksha to Him. She
saw a parrot being attacked by a crow.  At that time Bhagavan  was living on the Hill in Skandasramam.   She brought
the injured parrot to Bhagavan.  Bhagavan and Echammal tended it for four or five days.  But finally one day the parrot
died when it was in Bhagavan's hand.   When the parrot was buried on the Hill, Bhagavan remarked, 'A building will
come up here.'  The prediction came true.  A building soon appeared there to be known as KiLi Guhai  - Parrot Cave.

(Source: Living by the Words of Bhagavan, ed. David Godman.)

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
Reminiscences of Sampoornamma:

During the early days, Bhagavan would go to the kitchen early in the morning, and help the cooks there. Sampoornamma
was a staunch devotee who worked in the kitchen in those days.  This was what she had to say reminiscing about the
days, she spent with Bhagavan in the kitchen:

According to Bhagavan, high souls often visited the Asramam in animal bodies.  Once, for example, a white breasted
eagle, which is considered holy in India, flew into the old Hall, and sat on the cupboard near Bhagavan.  After a while
it flew around Him and disappeared.  'He is a Siddha (a perfected Being) who came to pay me a visit.'  said Bhagavan
seriously. 

On another occasion, Bhagavan remarked: When I was on the Hill, a crow used to come near me. He used to give me
company.  He was a Rishi in a crow's body. He would not eat from anybody's hand but mine. He died soon after.'

The respect Bhagavan showed to the animals  and the birds was most striking.  They were served food first like some
respected visitors.  Who knows in how many different forms, birds and animals, human beings, and divine beings visited
this embodiment of the Almighty?  We common and ignorant women knew only the bliss of His Presence and could not
tear ourselves away from the beloved of all.

(Source: Sri Ramana Smriti, Sri Ramanasramam.)

Arunachala Siva.           

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 02:15:46 AM »
-----------------------------------------------

1. A devotee who had arrived from Madras went out to bathe at a tank close by. Bhagavan who was talking to some visitors in the kovil, suddenly got up and went out. By that time a tiger was looking at the new person near the tank, maybe for a meal! At Bhagavan's behest the tiger went back to the forest. The visitor was thus saved.

2. The stay was arranged by a devotee, Rangaswami Iyengar. The latter went out to answer a call of nature and just about then a leopard arrived there. He tried to frighten the leopard but it growled. He was terrified and chanting Ramana's name began running for life. Normally, a leopard would not leave such a person but it kept quiet. Bhagavan arrived near that place and asked the devotee to show him
the leopard. But it was no longer to be seen there. Such could be the power of Ramana nama smarana.

- Ramana Leela

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
It is cool and soft:

Once, a devotee wanted to know from Bhagavan whether it was true that He was friendly with snakes while living
on the Hill.  Bhagavan replied: 'Yes, it is true.  One particular snake crawled over my body.  It was a very friendly snake.
As its touch my body used to feel as though it was tickled.  The snake used to come and go whenever it liked, on its own
accord.'

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao, the Asramam doctor, asked Bhagavan whether a snake had crept over His body.  Bhagavan replied:
'Yes. Snakes raise their hood and look into our eyes.  They seem to understand that they need not be afraid of me and then
pass over me.  It did not strike me either that I should do anything to it.'

When another devotee asked, how Bhagavan felt when snakes crawled over His body, He replied laughingly: 'Cool
and soft."

(Source: Day by Day with Bhagavan.)

Arunachala Siva.     

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »

The Maharshi Nurses Newborn Squirrels

In the roof of the Old Hall, squirrels would build nests. Once, some new-born squirrels dropped on Bhagavan's sofa. Their eyes remained yet unopened and the size of each baby may not have been more than an inch; they were very red in color with fresh flesh, absolutely tender to touch. The mother squirrel ignored them. Now what to do? How to feed and attend to such tender things?

The baby squirrels were in the palm of Bhagavan. Bhagavan's face glowed with love and affection for them. While there was a question mark in the faces of those who surrounded Bhagavan, He Himself was happy and cheerful. He asked for some cotton to be brought. He made a soft bed for them. He also took a bit of cotton and squeezed it to such a tiny end, the end portion looked like a sharp pin. He dipped it in milk and squeezed milk into the tiny mouths. At regular intervals, Bhagavan repeated this act of compassion. He tended them with great care and love till they grew up and ran around. They did not run away, only ran around their 'Mother'. Kinder far than their own mother!

- V. Ganesan, Moments Remembered

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
Snake at Skandasramam:

Once, a snake crept into Skandasramam.  Bhagavan's mother was frightened when she saw the approaching cobra.
But Bhagavan began walking towards the snake very calmly. As He did so, the snake began to withdraw and moved out.
It withdrew into a crevice in the rocks.  Bhagavan followed the snake to the crevice.  The passage in the crevice ended against
a rock wall. Being unable to escape, the snake all of a sudden turned towards Bhagavan and raised its hood and looked steadily
at Bhagavan who in turn returned its gaze. The game of mutual hypnotizing went on for sometime.  The snake presumably,
grasping that Bhagavan was harmless, uncoiled and approached Bhagavan confidently.  It almost touched His feet, and later
slithered away.  The same snake would often visit the Skandasramam for Bhagavan's darshan even when He was amidst visitors.
The snake would occasionally try to climb on to Bhagavan.  But He would not encourage it.  There were two peacocks in the
Asramam.  When they danced, quite surprisingly this snake also would join them in their dance.  The peacocks never hurt this
snake.

There was another snake which would come to Bhagavan, go round Him in pradakshina three times. Bhagavan would say:
'Go away. Visitors come here for darshan.  Seeing you, they will be frightened.  Please go away!' and the snake would
slither away!

(Source: Self Realization, B.V. Narasimha Swami)

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
Obedient Snake:

At Skandasramam, a peacock would follow Bhagavan everywhere.  One day, a huge black cobra appeared in the
Asramam and peacock attacked it fiercely.  The cobra spread its hood and the two natural enemies were poised to fight
to death.  When Bhagavan saw this, He understood the gravity of the situation.  Bhagavan went near the cobra and said
softly, 'Why did you come here?  The peacock will kill you.  Better go away at once.'  The cobra immediately lowered its hood
and crawled away. 

(Source:  At the Feet of Bhagavan, T.K. Sundaresa Iyer/)

Arunachala Siva.       

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
------------------------------------------------

Squirrel Stories

Once a cat ate the mother of some young squirrels. Again Ramana took on the task of caring for the young. As he liked to use daily events to teach his devotees he said to them, “These little ones do not know that wisdom lies in remaining in their nest. They keep attempting to come out. All trouble lies outside but they cannot remain within. Similarly if the mind is not externalised, but remains sunk in the Heart then there would only be happiness. But the mind keeps moving out.” When Rangaswami asked, “What is the path for keeping it inward?”, Bhagavan said, “It is exactly the same as what I am doing now. Each time a young squirrel comes out, I keep putting it back into its nest. When I go on doing it, it learns the happiness of staying in the nest.”

- Rangaswami

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
--------------------------------------------

Valli the deer

One day devotees brought a deer named Valli to the Ashram. Again Ramana did not want to accept it at first. Finally Madhava Swami said he was willing to look after the deer and so it was allowed to stay. It soon became the darling of the Ashram. Annamalai Swami relates, " Valli often came to the Hall and put her forehead on the soles of Bhagavan's feet. Sometimes when she did this Bhagavan would play with her by pushing his feet strongly against her head. Valli would respond by playfully butting Bhagavan's feet. At other times, when Valli danced on her hind legs, Bhagavan would stand alongside her, imitating her actions by dancing with his feet and waving his arms.

- Ramana Maharshi: His Life, Gabriele Ebert

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
Do not kill the Snake:

One morning, in December, 1945, Chinnaswami and others saw a snake crawling  near Bhagavan's Hall.  People started
shouting outside.  'What kind of a snake is it? Beat it! Beat it!'  When Bhagavan heard the sound of beating of the snake.,
He cried out, 'Who is beating it?'  Apparently this remonstration of Bhagavan was lost in the noise of the crowd, and the
snake was killed.  When Bhagavan came to know of this He said, 'If these persons are beaten like that, then they will
know what it means to be beaten.'

(Source: Day by Day with Bhagavan, Devaraja Mudaliar.)

Arunachala Siva.         

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »

On a moonlit night some devotees were going round the holy Arunachala Hill, chanting the Vedas. Suddenly they saw a leopard standing right in the middle of the road and looking at them. The singers were paralysed with fear. They could neither sing nor walk ahead or run away. The leopard looked at them quietly for quite a long time and then slowly crossed the road and disappeared into the jungle. The devotees thanked their stars, completed their round of the hill and, after returning to the Ashram, related their adventure to Bhagavan, who listened carefully and said, "There was no reason for fear. The leopard is a jnani who came down from the hill to listen to your chanting the Vedas. He went away deeply disappointed because out of fright you broke off singing. Why were you afraid"?

- Tales of Bhagavan recounted by Chalam

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »

The other day I learnt of one more incident in Bhagavan's life on the hill and so I am writing to you about it. When Bhagavan was living in Virupaksha Cave, the roar of a leopard was heard from the place where drinking water was available nearby. By the time the scared devotees had gathered some plates and drums in order to make a noise and drive the leopard away, it had drunk the water it required and gone away with one more roar. Bhagavan looked at those frightened devotees and said to them in an admonishing tone, "Why do you worry so much? The leopard intimated to me by the first roar that she was coming here. After drinking water she told me by another roar that she was going. She went her own way. She never meddled with your affairs. Why are you so scared? This mountain is the home of these wild animals, and we are their guests. That being so, is it right on your part to drive them away?"¯ Perhaps with the intention of relieving them of their fears, Bhagavan added, "A number of siddha purushas (holy beings) live on this mountain. It is perhaps with a desire to see me that they come and go, assuming various shapes. Hence, you see it is not right for you to disturb them." From that time onwards, the leopard used to come frequently to that place to drink. Whenever the roar was heard, Bhagavan used to say, "There you are! The leopard is announcing her arrival."¯ Then again he used to say, "The leopard announces her departure."¯ In this manner he used to be quite at ease with all the wild animals.

- Letters from Sri Ramanasramam by Suri Nagamma

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
-------------------------------------------

Do you know how much liberty our brother squirrel has with Bhagavan? Two or three years back, there used to be one very active and mischievous fellow amongst the squirrels. One day it so happened that when he came for food, Bhagavan was reading and otherwise occupied and so delayed a bit in giving him food. That mischievous fellow would not eat anything unless Bhagavan himself held it to his mouth. Perhaps because of his anger at the delay he abruptly bit Bhagavan's finger, but Bhagavan still did not
offer him food. Bhagavan was amused and said, "You are a naughty creature! You have bit my finger! I will no longer feed you. Go away!"¯ So saying he stopped feeding the squirrel for some days. Would that fellow stay quiet? No, he began begging of Bhagavan for forgiveness by crawling hither and thither.  Bhagavan put the nuts on the window sill and on the sofa and told him to help himself. But no, he wouldn't even touch them. Bhagavan pretended to be indifferent and not to notice. But he would crawl up to Bhagavan's legs, jump on his body, climb on his shoulders and do ever so many things to attract
attention. Then Bhagavan told us all, "Look, this fellow is begging me to forgive him his mischief in biting my finger and to give up my refusal to feed him with my own hands." He pushed the squirrel away for some days saying, "Naughty creature! Why did you bite my finger? I won't feed you now. That is your punishment. Look, the nuts are there. Eat them all."¯ The squirrel would not give up his obstinacy either. Some days passed and Bhagavan had finally to admit defeat because of his mercy towards devotees. It
then occurred to me that it was through pertinacity that devotees attained salvation.

That squirrel did not stop at that. He gathered together a number of his gang and began building a nest in the roof of the hall exactly above the sofa. They began squeezing into the beam bits of string, coconut fibre and the like. Whenever there was wind, those things used to fall down; so people got angry and began to drive them away. Bhagavan however used to feel very grieved at the thought that there was not sufficient room for the squirrels to build a nest and that the people in the hall were driving them away. We have only to see Bhagavan's face on such occasions to understand the depth of his love and affection for such beings.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
-------------------------------------------

Baby Cheetahs

About a year ago, some person who was rearing two baby cheetahs brought them into Bhagavan's presence. When they were fondled and given milk, not only did they move freely amongst the people in the hall, but they got on to the sofa with Bhagavan's welcome and slept soundly thereon. One of the Ashram devotees took a photo of that unusual group. From about 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Bhagavan confined himself to one end of the sofa keeping the cubs on the sofa in the same position all the time. They woke up afterwards and were there till about 4 p.m., moving about freely in the hall. Once again, before Bhagavan went up the hill at the usual time, photos were taken with the cheetah cubs on the
sofa and also on the table in front of the sofa. They were published in the Sunday Times later.

The wonder of it was that even the cheetah cubs lay down happily on the sofa, overpowered by sleep induced by the touch of Bhagavan's hands. While they were there, the squirrels came and ate nuts and the sparrows came and ate broken rice, as usual. In olden days, when animals and birds of all sorts moved about together without enmity in any place, people used to think that it was perhaps a Rishi Ashram.