Author Topic: Skanda Sashti from Sun 3 Nov - Fri 8 Nov 2013  (Read 1753 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Skanda Sashti from Sun 3 Nov - Fri 8 Nov 2013
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
Om Saravana Bhava - for the devotees of Lord Subramanya the Auspicious" Skanda Sashti" festival starts from today Sun 3 Nov - Fri 8 Nov for 6 days . This is when Lord Subramanya's Highest Power emerges on the earth plane readily available for you to absorb into your own core essence.Skanda Sashti is the powerful time to quickly increase your vibrations for power, new perceptions and perfect body, health and relationships.

For More details on how to Observe Skanda Sashti Vratham ,follow the link below :
http://www.penmai.com/forums/festivals-traditions/44893-shashti-vrata-puja-details.html
For those who are unable to follow the strict rules of Skanda Sashti Vratham let us at least Chant on these 6 days one of the following stotras without fail to invoke the blessings of
Skanda Sashti Kavacham , Skanda Guru Kavacham , Shanmuga Kavacham ,Kandar Anubooti ,Subramanya Bhujangam , Subramanya Karavalamba Stotram etc
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Skanda Sashti from Sun 3 Nov - Fri 8 Nov 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

Skanda Sashti is celebrated in all Siva temples where Muruga is also there.  But the actual war for 6 days took place only
in Tiruchendur, between Skanda and three brother demons, Surapadma, Gajamukhasura and Simhamukhasura.  However
Skandam (Sanskrit) says the war took 18 years to complete.!  Skanda was just three when he went to war with the demons.
After the war, Indra, the leader of devas offered his daughter Deivayanai in wedding to Skanda.  This wedding took place in
TiruparangunRam near Madurai.  There there are no idols in stone or metal.  In the cave wall, the pictures of Muruga, Deivayanai,
Siva and Uma are carved along with Narada and Brahma.  The priests apply milk, honey, ghee, sandal paste, curds, panchamirtam
on the Cave carvings, wash them finally with water and then show arti.

Ganapati Muni used to call him as an avatara of Ganapati and Sri Bhagavan as an avatara of Muruga in Sri Ramana Gita.

There is also a stray verse by Sri Bhagavan saying that He came after Ganapati and that is, He is Muruga.

One day in 1912, a potter came to the Virupaksha Cave with a small image of Sri Ganapati that he had made and presented it
to Sri Bhagavan.  A disciple suggested that both Sri Bhagavan and he should write a verse each to celebrate the occasion,
and that this is what Sri Bhagavan wrote:

He who begot you as a child, you  made   
Into a beggar; as a child yourself
You then lived everywhere to just support
Your own huge belly; I am too a child.
O Child God in that niche!  Encountering one
Born after you, is your heart made of stone?
I pray you look at me!

Sri Bhagavan discretely says that He is Muruga who was born after Ganapati.

Arunachala Siva.           

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
Yes Subramiam Sir , Bhagavan Ramana is Lord Subramanya himself .
Our Kula Deivam is Lord Subramanya ( in Tinniyam , near Lalgudi ) and it is unique in that Lord Subramanya there is facing South ( like Sri Dakshinamurti ) . Lord Subramanya rarely face South in the Temples . For me both Kula Deivam and Ishta Deivam is Lord Subramanya and when I pray to Lord Subramanya I feel I am praying to Bhagavan Ramana and vice versa .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Our Kula Deivam is also Swamimalai Murugan.  However it is years since I went last time.  I also consider Sri Bhagavan
as Skanda and pray to Him. 

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Today is the last day of Skanda Sashti and I am sharing below the message of Swami Sivananda .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
Dear atma vichar,

Today in the evening, Skanda kills the last of the three demons viz., Surapadma, who appeared as a hill, in order to avoid
noticing by Skanda.  In no time, Skanda knew it and pierced the hill with his spear and killed Surapadma.  Immediately,
next day, Indra offered his daughter Deivayanai for marriage to Skanda.  The wedding took place (tomorrow) at TiruparankunRam.

To Isvara Swami who asked why marks of Muruga are not visible in Sri Ramana, Sri Bhagavan replied in verse:

The javelin, the bright eastern hill, the Mother's milk of grace, the twelve arms, the big blue
peacock mind-beguiling, all these are in
the measure that one lives in the world of fear
of Ramana the Mother, (in fear of Ramana's mother.)

Arunachala Siva.             

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
Subramaniam Sir

1)What about Lord Muruga's Marriage with Valli ? Was it after marrying Deivayani ?
2) Today is Soor Samharam and it took place in Tirchendur and most TV Channels are telecasting it live today at 4.30 p.m the event at Tirchendur .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

1. Muruga married vaLLi later in Tiruttani.  The two weddings are only symbolic.  Deivanayaki represents iccha sakti and
VaLLi represents jnana sakti.  All are divine sports only. Sri Lalita Sahasranamam says: iccha sakti, kriya sakti, jnana sakti
swarupini....  Here the kriya sakti is the Vel - Spear.  It did the work of killing the demons.  The two wives are the other
two saktis.

2. Thanks for the information.  I shall watch the channel where Sura Samharam is telecast.

Arunachala Siva.