Author Topic: Ramana Periya Puranam  (Read 4310 times)

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:49 AM »
I am wondering if these devotees would have survived the corporate world in the west.  The lesson I am getting from these stories is surrender every situation to Bhagavan. He will get us through it.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachalaji,

Yes, Bhagavan's teachings are eternal and will get us through any situation like you said. I personally am not able to do complete surrender and continue to worry about problems and constantly push myself to be better. I am taking baby steps in self enquiry with prayers to Bhagavan when I fall. Reminds me of the following incident with Sri Mudaliar:

He felt that he was simple and was incapable of progressing spiritually. Therefore, on many occasions, he appealed to Bhagavan, “You should save me. I cannot save myself.” One day, Mudaliar came across a Tamil song in which the poet laments that he is not like a tenacious young monkey that can hold on to its mother tightly, but rather like a purring kitten that must be carried by the neck in its mother's jaws. The poet prays God should therefore take care of him. Mudaliar showed the song to Bhagavan and told him, “My case is exactly the same. You must take pity on me, Bhagavan, hold me by the neck and see that I don't fall and get injured.” Bhagavan's answer was characteristic, “That is impossible. It is necessary both for you to strive and for the guru to help.” Mudaliar then pleaded that even scriptures recognize the two methods of the baby monkey and the kitten - Markata Nyaayam and Marjala Nyaayam – as being suited to seekers with differing capacities. But despite all his pleading, this was the only answer he got from Bhagavan. (The endeavour of the disciple is the grace of the guru. There is no lag and no difference. The devotee's effort and guru's grace are synonymous. We have to hold on tightly to the guru like a baby monkey and the guru will take care of us like a mother cat!)

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam -Sri Muruganar and Bhagavan
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 03:16:02 AM »
Muruganar is the link between Bhagavan, the truth, and us, ignorance. If it was not for his living example, we would have thought Bhagavan to be an unattainable ideal like Buddha or Jesus Christ. Had Muruganar not lived a whole life of austerity, purity and Self knowledge through Self Enquiry, however much we try to intellectualize and understand Maharshi's teaching of Self Enquiry as the direct path, we would have missed the point. Muruganar lived the teachings and showed us that though he was just like us, it was possible to lead a pure life totally dedicated to the teaching. And the master poured all his grace on him.

Once, an herbal oil was being made at the ashram. When it was ready, it had to be filtered by pouring it on a cloth spread across a large vessel. Bhagavan held the cloth and asked Muruganar to pour the oil into it with a ladle. Bhagavan was talking about these herbs, some of which could even make one disappear from one place and appear in another. So rapt was he by Bhagavan's stories, that Muruganar continued to pour the oil without noticing that it had begun to overflow. Bhagavan was attentive and efficient, so he chided him saying, “Stop! What are you doing? You are spilling the oil. You are so careless!” Then, to pacify him, he added cajolingly, “Come now, take the spilled oil and smear it on your head. Who will give you such good, costly, herbal oil? Go on and put it on your scalp.” Muruganar's attention was still riveted on Bhagavan, and so, instead of taking the oil, he scraped up mud from the ground. Bhagavan quickly said, “Hey stop! I asked you to put the oil on your scalp, not mud!” This is the guru-disciple relationship: the guru's grace not only awakens the highest wisdom but also oversees the welfare of the devotees.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Dear Lathaji:

I am slowing making my way through Ramana Periya Puranam. There are new photos that weren't there in the unauthorized version and so much more new information that I either missed or was not ready to understand when I read the first version. It is unbelievable Bhagavan's grace upon us.

One of the pictures is of Bhagavan walking near the ashram well where the present dining hall is. From now on, that spot will for ever be sacred to me when I line up for lunch at the ashram.

Thank you Ganeshan anna for bringing all this alive for us.

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:21:17 PM by Child of Arunachala »

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »

I had the exact same feeling - either there was new info or I was more ready to understand! Either way, it is a wonderful blessing.

The only time I visited Ramanashramam, I was so moved thinking that Bhagavan had stepped on all those spots. It was also very special walking up to Skandashramam remembering the hill is Lord Siva and also Bhagavan was there.

I am very thankful to Sri Ganesanji for sharing his experiences with Bhagavan's direct devotees.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - Daivarata
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
Daivarata asked Bhagavan a crucial question demanding a definite answer. He asked, “Bhagavan, what is the paramount duty of a seeker?” Bhagavan replied, “Discovering one's own true nature is the paramount duty.”

Daivarata is the only person who has described Bhagavan‟s voice. No one else has spoken on how Bhagavan‟s voice sounded. He says, “Maharshi's voice is melodious and soft as that of a child. It is exceedingly sweet. At times, it is so soft that it is not even heard clearly. It must be listened to with attention. When we hear his voice, we feel as if we are hearing a divine and subtle voice coming across the firmament. His is the form of divine speech so vastly extolled in the Vedas.”

(Sri Ganesan's question to Daivarata)
“Swami, you have to tell me all about Bhagavan as a man and also Bhagavan as God.” He smiled at me - perhaps he was laughing at my ignorance - and uttered just one sentence, “Bhagavan was God living within the garb of the human frame of a man.” He had described Bhagavan as man and God in one sentence.

He went on to say that Bhagavan had tremendous powers but was hiding them. Immediately I asked,” What do you mean by that? Can you give an example?” Daivarata said,” Yes, I can tell you but can you understand that?”I replied, “Tell me and I will try.” He said “Bhagavan has the power to go back to the past and alter the past.” I replied, “Not only can I not understand, I do not even know what you are talking about.” He was kind enough to share with me what he had experienced: Once, in 1940, he was wandering around the snowy peaks of the Himalayas, immersed in meditation. Suddenly, he noticed tears dropping from his eyes and wanted to know the reason for it. Then, some force or power from his Heart revealed to him that it was his separation from Bhagavan that was causing this anguish. Immediately, without any preparation, he headed straight for Arunachala. The journey took him fifteen days. As soon as he came, he went and stood in front of Bhagavan with tears of joy. On seeing him, Bhagavan said, “Just a few moments back I thought of you and had a strong urge to see you, and now you are here!” Daivarata called me his namesake as he was also Ganesa. He said, “Hey, my namesake, have you understood?” I said,” No, I have not understood.” Daivarata explained, “Though Bhagavan had said "just a few moments back‟, it travelled fifteen days back and gave me a push to start my journey towards him. He even made me shed tears and realize that he was calling me. Bhagavan then went walking on the hill and I followed. Bhagavan told me, "Abide in the Heart. Remember the Heart is Arunachala.‟ Bhagavan had called me to him all the way from the Himalayas to give me this last message. Ever since then, Bhagavan constantly lives in my Heart as Arunachala.”

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04:16 AM »
I am wondering if these devotees would have survived the corporate world in the west.  The lesson I am getting from these stories is surrender every situation to Bhagavan. He will get us through it.

Child of Arunachala - there are probably many people not just surviving but even succeeding in the corporate world, while also gaining jnana. Nochurji keeps saying jnani in pant/shirt :) He said a jnani believes he is not doing anything but other people may see him performing work.

Our swamiji also has mentioned a couple of successful executives who are well advanced in nishta. After all, it is a matter of being akartrutva while the BMI continues to do karma.

If we achieve this bhava, it should be possible. (I have hopes for myself!)

Latha - thanks for the beautiful postings.. have downloaded the ebook, but don't know when I will get to it. Small samples from you may kindle the desire to fruition.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
Dear Lathaji and Deepaji:

I was wondering if it was really possible for a spiritual person to survive  in today's corporate world in the west and imagine my surprise when I opened the page where I left off yesterday:

Ganesan Anna wrote:

I used to communicate with Paul Brunton because I wanted guidance from a devotee who made Bhagavan known all over the world. Though I wrote many letters inviting him to come and stay in the ashram, no reply came. But I persisted in sending him letters through his friends who were visiting.

In one of them, I raised this question: “Brunton, you had asked Bhagavan about work and wisdom. When you told Bhagavan, "You are in a jungle ashram, but I have to go back into the world and work to earn my livelihood. So, how can I live?‟

Bhagavan replied, "There is no difference between work and wisdom.‟

Since Bhagavan told you directly that there is no contradiction between work and wisdom, you will have clarity on this matter. Please share that with me.”

He replied with a short, beautiful letter which he sent through a friend: “Things happen to you, don‟t they? Now you think that things are being done by you. It is wrong. Things are done through you. Alter the attitude "done by me‟ to "done through me‟. Ramana Maharshi was the pure channel for the higher power to pass through. All these sages, saints and messiahs were channels for the higher power to pass through. You and I are also the same. There will be no difference between work and wisdom, if like the sages we too allow ourselves to be the channel for the higher power to pass through.” The moment you have the attitude that things are happening "through you‟, you will see everything becomes light. Jesus Christ said, “Be a light unto yourself.” What is the heaviness in you? It is the sense of doership, thoughts and memories of the past and the future. Give up that and accept and surrender to the higher power. You will be surprised at how light you feel!

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:05:54 PM by Child of Arunachala »

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »

Wonderful post! Swamiji in Chinmaya Mission has been saying the same message - give up the doership and do your duties with no attachment.

Also remember Sri Nochurji was talking about Sri Krishna with the flute all the time and the reason being the flute is hollow. similarly if we don't have ego, we will become an instrument in God's hands making beautiful music! Even if it is in the corporate world :)

Good message to start the day with. Thank you.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - G.V. Subbaramayya
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 04:59:15 AM »
G.V. Subbaramayya, the principal of a college, was a remarkable person. Spiritual seekers are greatly indebted to him, because he extracted from Bhagavan an assurance that he will protect and emancipate all of us. Bhagavan dropped his body on the fourteenth of April, 1950. Around April seventh or eighth, Professor Subbaramayya and sub-registrar Narayana Iyer, went to see Bhagavan. They wept inconsolably. Bhagavan asked Subbaramayya, “What do you want?” Subbaramayya replied, “Abhayam yivalla,” meaning "give me protection‟. Bhagavan looked at him and said, “Ichchanu”, meaning "it is given‟. By this, he meant not only protection, but also liberation. Sub-registrar Narayana Iyer who was also weeping, questioned, “Bhagavan, is it only for Subbaramayya?” Bhagavan turned to him and replied, “For everyone!”

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - G.V. Subbaramayya
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
Subbaramayya once said this to me: “There are many guidelines for going outside. There are doors and road maps to guide us. But for going within, there is no map and there is no guide. Just as the Upanishads say, "The bird has no path; where the bird flies is the path. The fish has no path in water; wherever it swims is the path.‟ Similarly, you have to dive within and find your path. None of the scriptures can help you; none of the theoretical knowledge that you have will help you. You can achieve it by having complete faith in yourself. How beautifully the bird flies! Does it worry about the path? Does the fish hesitate? Then why do we hesitate? Plunge within! My master Ramana always said, "Dive within, plunge within and go inwards.‟ Dive within with full faith in Bhagavan and you are sure to find the inner guru waiting for you with open arms.”

G. V. Subbaramayya had two daughters, Lalita and Indira. They used to come to see Bhagavan regularly even though it was very difficult for them to travel the distance. On one visit, the elder girl Lalita turning over the pages of the then new Telugu edition of Upadesa Saram, picked up the first two letters of bold type in the four lines of a Sanskrit verse by Sri Bhagavan, and read them together aloud as Deham-Naham-Koham-Soham. The words together meant, “I am not the body. Who am I? Iam He.”On hearing this Bhagavan said, “Very good! That will do. The rest of the stanza you need not read. What you have read is the quintessence of wisdom. Make it your mantra.” Thereafter, every time Bhagavan saw Indira on this visit, he would ask her to repeat this mantra. Soon, she knew it by heart. On the final day of their visit, the two of them were taking leave of Bhagavan just as he was ready to go for his usual walk up the hill. They approached him and said, “Bhagavan, we have to go home.” Saying this, they cried. Patting Indra most lovingly Bhagavan said, “You go to your place, while I go to my place,” pointing to the hill. Significantly it proved to be their last leave taking. After reaching home, both children wrote to Subbaramayya. Lalita wanted him to convey her salutations to Sri Bhagavan and inform him of her promotion to the next class. Indira wrote that she was constantly repeating the mantra and meditating on Sri Bhagavan. On perusing these letters, Bhagavan looked most graciously pleased. Sometime later, little Indira passed away. Subbaramayya had a samadhi built for her, on which was inscribed the mantra Deham-Naham-Koham-Soham.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam -G.V. Subbaramayya
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »
Once in the early hours of the morning when Subbaramayya visited Bhagavan, Bhagavan talked about how we have a glimpse of our real Self every day. Between the state of sleep and waking, there is a moment of twilight. The waking consciousness begins with the thought of 'I'. Just before the upsurge of this thought, there is a fraction of a second of undifferentiated pure consciousness. So, first there is unconsciousness, followed by pure consciousness and then creeps in the thought of 'I'. It is during this state that we become conscious of the world around us. We can sense pure consciousness only if we are alert and watchful for the state.

The beauty of Bhagavan's teaching is that it is simple, direct and natural. We are fortunate to be able to read about these sacred relationships between the supreme master and his old devotees. In the process, our own consciousness becomes purified. It becomes equipped to focus on the truth. We automatically turn to our brain, our memories, our desires, because we feel that security is there. One must have total faith. Arunachala means Aruna-achala. Aruna is being, aliveness, and achala means 'unmoved'. When the mind remains unmoved, then it has no other choice but to dissolve itself in the Self, in Self awareness, in other words, that which is called 'unmoved'. That is what Bhagavan meant when he said, “Everyone finally has to come to Arunachala.” If you want the truth you have to keep the moving mind immobile.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - Major Chadwick
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Many seekers, as their meditation progresses, experience an intense and inexplicable fear. This happened to Chadwick too. He went to Bhagavan and told him about it. Bhagavan reassured him, “The fear is not for you. The fear is created by the ego and the ego has to face this fear. Ask who is facing this fear? When you ask this, the fear will drop off. The ego will bring in, particularly in meditation, many obstacles. Whatever the nature of the obstacle, immediately ask who am I? To whom is this trouble? To whom is this problem? It will immediately drop. And in raising this question 'Who am I?', if you notice the silence instead of looking for an answer, that silence will dispense with the ego instantly.” Chadwick's ripeness was such, that at the very moment he listened to Bhagavan he got completely rid of the fear. He never had fear in his meditation again.