Author Topic: Ramana Periya Puranam  (Read 2548 times)

latha

• View Profile
Ramana Periya Puranam
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
Dear Friends,

Thank you to Sri Ganesanji for this wonderful book called Ramana Periya Puranam (the Inner Journey of 77 Direct Devotees of Sri Ramana Maharshi). It can be downloaded from AHAM’s website.

Sri Ganesanji reminds us that Bhagavan's teachings given to his direct devotees are relevant to each of us. I would like to share some of these beautiful teachings of Bhagavan in this thread. I consider Bhagavan to be my Father, Mother, Friend... and Guru but reading the following lines in the introduction by  Sri Ganesanji, highlights that he is God and the Self.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, it is said, had no name that he called his own. However, he did have a name and he revealed it, not once, but thrice. The first time was in his hymn Aksharamanamalai, The Marital Garland of Letters. In its very last verse, Bhagavan sings, “Place your garland around my neck and wear the garland strung by this Arunachala Ramanan.” The second time was some days later. A devotee at Virupaksha cave wanted to know who Bhagavan really was. He wrote a verse on a piece of paper, “Oh Ramana, who are you? Are you the highest God, Hari, or a rishi, or a celestial being? Who are you?” He then left the note on Bhagavan‟s stone couch when Bhagavan had gone out. When Bhagavan returned and saw the note, he wrote behind it, “I am Arunachala Ramanan, dwelling in the Heart of every being, beginning with Lord Hari to the so called lowest being. If with devotion, you plunge into the cave of your Heart, your inner eye will be opened and you will see this truth as the fullness of non-dual Awareness.” The third time was when Viswanatha Swami wanted to write a verse on Muruganar, another senior devotee. Unable to compose an entire verse in Tamil, he wrote two words, “Mugavapuri Murugan.” When Bhagavan was not there, he left the paper on Bhagavan‟s seat and slipped away. When Bhagavan came back, he completed the verse, “Arunachala Ramanan who resides in the Heart lotus of every being, gave Mugavapuri Murugan a look and destroyed all his tendencies. This enabled him to come out with thousands of spontaneous verses, the beauty of which is comparable with those written several centuries back by the saint Manikavachakar in Thiruvachakam.”

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
Dear lathaji,

Thank You so much for so touching and beautiful words on Bhagavan! And i am so happy to see this thread!

With love and prayers,
        Love

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »
Dear latha,

I am not sure whether the book you are mentioning is the same as Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi, an e-book, where also
Sri Ganesan speaks about a number of direct devotees of Sri Bhagavan.  Nevertheless, I shall check up AHAM Website.

thanks.

Arunachala Siva.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
Dear Subramaniamji,

I could not remember which book Ramana Periya Puranam reminded me of. Yes, it seems very close to the book The Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi. I will look into it to see what the differences are. In spite of the similarities, it is very touching to read about Bhagavan and his devotees. It makes me feel like I am watching the scenes unfold in front of me. Also even the simplest incidents convey big messages about Bhagavan's teachings and grace - reading them repeatedly is interesting and useful.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya mantra
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »
Once, I asked him, “How did you compose the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya?” TKS was kind enough to share the following: “From my early childhood, I was deeply devoted to Lord Krishna. Generations after generations of our family were initiated into the mantra, "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.‟ Vasudeva is another name for Sri Krishna. Hence, I read with great interest and delight the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam. I longed to have the vision of Sri Krishna. One day, a line from the Bhagavad Gita where Lord Krishna declares, “Jnani tu atmaiva mey matam…” meaning, "The jnani is my own Self‟, went deep into my heart. I thought, while I have at hand Bhagavan Ramana, who is himself Vasudeva, why should I worship and long to have the vision of Sri Krishna separately? Thus, I contemplated: "I want one single mantra, a single God and a single scripture, so that there is no conflict of loyalties.‟ Suddenly, it dawned within my heart, "Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya‟. My Heart continued resounding with it without a gap. I ran to Bhagavan and told him of the advent of the sacred mantra. He bestowed the mantra with his full approval. Later, I counted the syllables in the new mantra. It was twelve. The Vasudeva mantra too, contained twelve syllables. I was delighted. Coming to know of Bhagavan‟s full approval of the mantra, the ashram management accepted it so fully that they even altered the original ashram crest so that beneath the symbol of "Om‟ the words "Sri Ramanasramam‟ was replaced with "Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya‟.”

latha

• View Profile

He wrote, “The Ordainer, prevailing everywhere, makes each one play his role in life according to his karma. That which is not destined, will not happen despite every effort. What is destined to happen is bound to happen. This is certain. Therefore, the best course is to remain silent.”

At face value, this looks like a reply rejecting his mother's pleas. However, these words bear a deeper meaning. "That which is not destined, will not happen despite every effort. What is destined to happen is bound to happen.‟ Then, what is the role of an individual? If everything is predestined and everyone is acting according to how he or she is being directed to act, then what is the reality of the individual? This doubt raises the fundamental question, "Who am I?‟ With the next sentence, "This is certain,‟ Bhagavan gives a stamp of authority, certainty, for the mind needs the anchor of certainty. The last sentence is, "Therefore, the best course is to remain silent‟. To remain in silence is a positive step towards surrender. The first step is to surrender. Surrendering in silence is the guiding force that helps one begin the quest for the Self. One cannot do this with a disturbed mind. We all need to contemplate on the hidden wisdom in this first upadesa. When we read about the life of a saint, not like a novel or a historical narrative, but with reverence and devotion, a sentence, even a word, can guide us. This first teaching which Mother Azhagammal brought out from Bhagavan Arunachala Ramana is a most important and powerful one.

Jesus Christ said to his mother, “Mother, woman, what have I got to do with you? I have come to do my Father's business.” Bhagavan, through his note and his action, seems to be similarly telling his mother, “I have got this work of my Father, to spread his message that his true state is the silence which is hidden in the Heart of everyone and that humanity has forgotten it. I have to remind them that Arunachala is the unconditioned awareness of "I AM‟ in each one's Heart. The mind clouds it now. Therefore, it has to be removed so that the Heart shines forth in all its splendour. This is my Father‟s business. So, oh Azhagammal, my mother, you too accept it.”

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:58:47 AM »
Dear Subramaniamji,

I could not remember which book Ramana Periya Puranam reminded me of. Yes, it seems very close to the book The Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi. I will look into it to see what the differences are. In spite of the similarities, it is very touching to read about Bhagavan and his devotees. It makes me feel like I am watching the scenes unfold in front of me. Also even the simplest incidents convey big messages about Bhagavan's teachings and grace - reading them repeatedly is interesting and useful.

Latha

Please clarify how to purchase this book Ramana Periya Puranam.  Is the title same as you had given?  What is the difference from Human Gospel book of Ganeshan Ji?  ( I have not read Human Gospel book either)

Wondering how this book is not available in Sri Ramasramam.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi alias Sri Ramana Periya Puranam is available only as e-book.  It has not been printed
and published by Sri Ramanasramam.

Arunachala Siva.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
Dear Krishnanji,
I have downloaded both these books from online. I live in US and find online books to be most convenient. I love the physical books and try to buy my favorite ones.

I read the Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi a while ago and was very touched by it. I am reading Ramana Periya Puranam and find the comments written by Sri Ganesanji even more touching. I used to feel a sense of longing on reading about incidents where he blessed his direct devotees. In this book Sri Ganesanji constantly reminds the reader that Bhagavan's grace is extended to us. I highly recommend both these books.

Hope your Dad is doing better - I pray to Bhagavan for his well being and for strength for you and your family.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - Bhagavan's teachings on Destiny and free will
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
Mudaliar and Bhagavan one day: “I can understand, Bhagavan, that the external factors in a man‟s life such as his nationality, family, profession, marriage, death etc., are all predestined according to his karma. But, can it be that his entire life down to the minutest detail is already predetermined? Now, for instance, Bhagavan, I have put this fan in my hand down on the floor. Is this also already predestined?” Bhagavan replied very firmly, “Certainly. Whatever this body is to do and whatever experiences it has to pass through is already determined when it comes into existence.”

Mudaliar did not stop. He put forth further questions: “What becomes then of man‟s freedom and responsibility for his actions?” Bhagavan, looking graciously at Mudaliar answered, “The only freedom man has, is to strive for and acquire jnana, wisdom, which will enable him not to identify himself with the body. Man is free to free himself from body identification and that is the only freedom he has. Identified with the body, man has no freedom from destiny at all. The body will go through all actions already enjoined to it to be done.” (Just the thought, “I do not identify with the body,” is not enough, because it is merely another thought. This is why we have to do sadhana. To cut off our identification with the body, we must have jnana by being steady in the Heart.)

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
Dear Lathaji,

I am sorry. I am only now seeing this thread as I got busy with 'life'.  Here is an explanation for the two versions. 

When I was in Tiruvannamalai early this year, I told the President's wife how much the people on this forum liked the "Gospel".  She seemed surprised that such a book exists.  Ganeshan anna must have checked it out and realized it was an unauthorized one, edited it to his satisfaction and has now published it through the AHAM website.  I haven't read the edited/authorized version yet but I am sure it is better than the unauthorized one. I know I cried through the first version. 

Here is what the AHAM website has to say:
May 28th, 2013

Greetings Friends,

Several years ago, AHAM (Association of Happiness for All Mankind) had the rare privilege of recording stories of 75 direct devotees of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, as told by V. Ganesan, who has had the unique opportunity to move closely with most of them. In case you are not aware, V. Ganesan is the grandnephew of Sri Ramana Maharshi and the former general manager of Ramanasramam. He also served as editor of the ashram’s official magazine, Mountain Path, for many years.

Ganesan took the CDs of the original talks to India to have them carefully transcribed. He devoted the time necessary to get this monumental work painstakingly edited and to also incorporate old photos of devotees and events. This work is entitled: “Ramana Periya Puranam, (the Inner Journey of 75 Old Devotees of Sri Ramana Maharshi)".

Ganesan – its author and the sole copyright holder - is now humbly presenting “Ramana Periya Puranam” through the AHAM website.

There is another unauthorized version of the book that is circulating on the Internet. This version was not approved by Ganesan and is not edited to his satisfaction.

Ganesan has made it clear that only AHAM (Association of Happiness for All Mankind) is permitted to present this manuscript via the Internet, for no fee (or cost) to any reader. We are very grateful for the opportunity to present this approved version. We hope that these inspiring reminiscences will further illuminate the intimate relationship between Sri Ramana Maharshi and His close devotees.

In gratitude,

Stan Davis
Spiritual & Executive Director of AHAM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:01:03 AM by Child of Arunachala »

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachalaji,

Thank you for your explanation - it makes sense. I am very greatful to Sri Ganesanji for taking the time and effort to put together Bhagavan's teachings given to his direct devotees.

latha

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Periya Puranam - Sivaprakasam Pillai's devotion and humility
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
Often, in a state of ecstasy, Sivaprakasam Pillai composed many poems. Bhagavan appreciated and approved them. He even included some of them in the daily parayana or recitation in the ashram.

These are four of Sivaprakasam Pillai‟s poems:

“From dawn to dusk I spend my day in vain talks. Not even for a moment do I think „Who am I?‟ My lord, you have told me if you speak one word, it will multiply into many words. Ramana Deva, I am only pretending to be your devotee and not conducting myself as one.”

“I am a sinner who wastes most of his time listening to others‟ misdeeds and talking about them. I have many defects myself, but if others mention them, my mind boils with rage. Thinking that there is no harm in it, I do not hesitate to utter small lies.O Ramana Deva, is it not high drama to fall at your feet as if I am your devotee?”

“Though I have become old and suffer from various diseases, I have not destroyed the desire for women. The ghost of my mind desires to see their beautiful faces, converse with them and listen to their honey-like speech. Even though I give advice to the mind, it does not subside but wanders after them. Ramana Deva, when will this delusion end and my mind become firm?”

“You know that my qualities and character are poor. You also know that among the ignorant full of defects, I am the worst. Though you know all this, you still sought me and took possession of me. Ramana Deva, how can I explain this wonder?”

A devotee once asked Bhagavan, “Bhagavan, Sivaprakasam Pillai was such a great ascetic. He unswervingly put your teachings into practice. Reading his poems, I wonder where I stand! If he is in this wretched state, what will happen to me?”

Bhagavan responded with a beautiful reply: “When extolling God, Adi Shankara, and other sages have berated themselves and said the same thing. This is how sages guide others and warn seekers.”

Viswanatha Swami told me that once he asked Sri Bhagavan to show him Sivaprakasam Pillai because he knew that he was seated somewhere in the hall. The hall was crowded with devotees - perhaps it was a festive day. Bhagavan pointed his finger toward the farthest corner and said, “There, you see! With both arms covering his bare chest and seated unobtrusively like a rustic villager. That is our Sivaprakasam Pillai. He sits here like a domesticated cat. One should see him at his office. There, he is like a wild lion. His uprightness, honesty and hard work mark him out and cause everyone to approach him with awe and respect.”

Coming to know that Sivaprakasam Pillai had become old and sick and was unable to travel from his village, my father, who had not seen him, urged Kunju Swami to take him to his village near Chidambaram. The austere appearance of Sivaprakasam Pillai and his humility was outstanding. His body used to shine like molten gold with spiritual maturity. While introducing Sivaprakasam Pillai to my father, Kunju Swami wholeheartedly and reverentially lauded him as the most humble, scholar-devotee who had brought out Sri Bhagavan‟s direct teaching. Sivaprakasam Pillai, in all humility and with fervent love, held the hands of Kunju Swami and put them on his eyes and on his head. With tears flowing from his eyes, he said, “These sacred hands had the great good fortune of touching and serving the holy body of my master. That merit I never had in my life. You are very blessed and infinitely greater!” After narrating this incident, Kunju Swami said, “This is how truly great people put themselves down to enhance the glory of others. Where are the "others‟ for them? Every one is the same, single Self only!”

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »
Madam latha

very nice  story regarding Sri Sivaprakasam pillai and his prayers to Bhagavan
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »
Dear Sri Balaji,

I find these stories very inspiring as well. The devotees were so devotional and humble, Bhagavan was so compassionate. There seems to be a lesson to learn in the smallest of incidents.