Author Topic: Destroying vasanas  (Read 3742 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Destroying vasanas
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
Udai,

I do not resonate with the line of view that there is one - binding vasanas, and the other non binding vasanas, which can continue. It is certainly not correct way to put it. what is meant when you say non binding vasanas can continue? continue for whom? so it implies, "to me" - as the answer, 'who am I' has to still continue. without enquiring the source of this 'I' , it is not enough even if so called non binding vasanas can continue! Unless the person to whom it continues is dissolved, it is not the end yet.

The way i see is that the the destruction of Vasanas is moksha, vasanakshayam moksham, as said by Shankara, now what you are presenting are speculation as to how the state will be like for the one who has freed oneself from binding vasanas and what sort of vasanas will be around him, etc... what i do discern is that one has to persist with the quest for Self, when one truly engages ones whole self with absolute steadfastness, there is no vasanas, only when one breaks from the tapas one falls into the grip of vasanas. when one is engaged in tapas, there is no talk of vasanas, only when one discontinues from the tapas one is flooded with all opinions.

Even the knowledge that vasanas has to be killed etc... understanding the true purport etc.. all these also come into picture only when one has discontinued from tapas.

Even the opinion that a Jivanmukta simply responds to only those karmas that present before him also is only the view of the onlooker alone.

the point is liberation cannot be defined at all. it is beyond anything one attempts to define.

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

I just read carefully, i somehow would prefer to stick to the traditional paramparic teachings. I would stick to my kula Guru (Sringeri and Paramacharya), and Sri Ramana as well never gave such explicit statements, he simply turns back the 'I' to the source, and Sri Ramakrishna as well has not given such explicit statements. Kindly excuse me to exit from this discussion. Somehow, this does not resonate with my heart.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
I would like to highlight to stress the point in Sri Ramana quite mentioned by you, that it be not misread -

D: How can I control the mind?

M: There is no mind to control if the Self is realised. The Self shines forth when the mind vanishes. In
the realised man the mind may be active or inactive, the Self alone exists. For, the mind, body and world
are not separate from the Self; and they cannot remain apart from the Self. Can they be other than
the Self? When aware of the Self why should one worry about these shadows? How do they affect the
Self?

The point in red is most important.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Because the jnani is aware of the body, he will also be aware of the thoughts and vasanas that arise in that body. None of these vasanas has the power to cause bondage for him because he never identifies with them, but they do have the power to make the body behave in certain ways. The body of the jnani enjoys and experiences thses vasanas although the jnani himself is not affected by them. that is why its some times said that for the jnani there are bhoga vasanas but no bandha vasanas.

Vedas do not speak in the same spirit. A Jnani is free of all vasanas. Even if Vasanas do arise, whether one is affected or not is different matter, but Vasanas do arise.

It is not simply that we have a tradition of worshiping the bodies of Saints, it is because they are so pure, nothing remains in them to even affect them or they remain unaffected by anything.

I will try and post some posts from my source in coming times. We will take it from there.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Udai,

Vasanas no longer remain in one who has gone beyond ones body. The question that vasanas arise but they do not affect such a person is not the lakshyartha. It is not correct. It does matter to see the context to which these were said so, which is why, not always we can take a dialogue of saints with devotees as a pramana vakya, veda is final authority.

[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Experience of  Jnana gained without rooting out all the vasanas cannot remain  steady. Effort must be made to eradicate the vasanas
lock, stock and barrel. Otherwise rebirth after death takes place. Some say direct experience results from hearing one's Master.
Even here such an experience can remain unshaken only after all the vasanas are rooted out.  The grip of the ego can be slackened
only by not adding new vasanas to it. Large amounts of Japa will also duly slacken and cause vanishing of the grip of ego and vasanas.

(Sri Bhagavan to a visitor)

A visitor: Can one realize the Truth by learning the scriptures an study of books?

Maharshi;  No. So long as predispositions remain latent in the mind, realization cannot be achieved. Sastra learning is itself
a Vasana. Realization is only in Samadhi.,

So long as there are vasanas contained within, they must come out and exhaust themselves. It can also be scorched once and
for all, by self inquiry.

Rama asked Vasishta: Brahman being Pure how can  Maya arise from Him and veil Him also?

Vasishta replies: In pure mind associated with strong dispassion, this question will not arise....Oneself sinking into the Self
the Vasanas will entirely disappear, leaving no room for such a question (i.e. Maya veiling Brahman etc.,)

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Subramanian Sir,

Thank you, excellent compilation, it is a blessing truly.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,
         :) Vedanta is not easy to understand. They have to be studied with Bhashyam of Shankra from a guru. Have you done this ?

If you have studied with Bhashyam of Shankara under a proper guru , please give me the bhasyam reference , the vedantic reference and then it would stand some discussion.

Otherwise its like speaking about E=mc^2 without understanding what it means !! I do not have anything to discuss on a specific vedantic text unless you provide Shankra Bhasyam for this reason.

Are you telling me or asking me? just look at the intent in your own post and the voice and loudness. Your expressions clearly exhibit an impatient outburst.

You seem to say merely listening to Paramarthanandaji's lectrures you have gained everything and have learnt everything under a proper Guru? how do you see others and in what light do you see everybody else? You do not know anybody, it is all in your hands if you see it as speaking as e=mc2.

You have very openly conveyed that it is only you, who have understood the true purport and have truly known what has to be known.

I do not feel inspired to correspond with you and share my thoughts with you. You may revel in your own last say, your knowledge and enlightenment

God Bless.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
Dear Sri Udai,

I do not like to express all these, i have been doing Veda adhyayanm from a proper Guru,  who is an Ashtaavadhaani (one capable of doing 8 things at a time) for over 8 years now and still going on. have covered various works including Gita, Atma bodha, works of Shankara, including some works of Vaishnava and Madhva. i adhere to the instructions of shastras as much as possible and carry out the anhikas without fail.

you may please find somebody if one has studied and then engage yourself in conversation with such a person. I do not wish to communicate with you. i prefer to converse with an ordinary layman or the ordinary street dog near my house that is my highest Guru, who does not know anything, for he has much more to offer than Shankara bhasyam or sometimes even Ramana or Ramakrishna or shankara acharyas or other modern swamiji or pravachakas.

I say, this is nothing, knowledge is nothing, shankara bhashya is nothing, all books are to be burnt, there is nothing you will gain in them, unless you stand stark naked before the higher power. If you are looking for an educated shastric person, I am not the person. each day as I learn, i only realise all learning is nothing! I am not the person, so you communicate with me, you may find somebody who appreciates the vedanta just as you do. I pray may you find one very soon

Prayers,

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
Udai,

i am not heated up, even if I am heated up, what matters? I am that awareness, for me, as awareness, remain untouched by any heat :D

I do not belong to any school of thought, I do not strictly follow any school of thought, my guru has been teaching me to be free of any school of thought. He has only been teaching me that I am nothing. So therefore truly i may not satisfy your conditions for a dialogue, i may not strictly quote shankara bhashya even though My Guru has covered shankara Bhashya for some important works. If you want to have a dialogue with somebody's education background, and not the very person itself, then my heart stops behind from venturing into any dialogue. My Guru teaches the Bhashya of Heart, he has taught me that this Bhashya is supreme to every other Bhashyas.

[