Author Topic: Authenticity of Bhagwan's Writings and Dialogues  (Read 7094 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Authenticity of Bhagwan's Writings and Dialogues
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »
All the neo-advaitins and modern day instant vedanta schools commit some sort of mistake like this -- jumping suddenly to Self and overlooking the karma, desires,  moha etc. that one has so far accumulated.  It is very important that one practice detachment and burn his vasanas before he is ready for  a experience of Self.

Dear Kaskat
Even recently 2  famous people one in the tradition of Yoga and other from Tradition of Advaita have been caught for sexual + financial misconduct and are in hiding now . This did not attract Media attention here but their close students and admirers have deserted them seeing their dubious behavior . They feel ashamed to come out now .There was no question of lack of Knowledge for them .They came from Traditional lineage ( one in Yoga and another in Vedanta ) ,well versed in the relevant Scriptures of Yoga and Vedanta and were excellent speakers and also had many books published to their Credit .
Yesterday I came across the following quote of Bhagwan Ramana posted by Nagaraj in another thread and that very aptly summed why some highly knowledgeable people are getting caught in Sexual and financial misconduct .I have given my comments on the other thread also about this .
Knowledge can remain unshaken only after all the vasanas are rooted out - Bhagwan Ramana.

Note : I am not saying all people who are giving lectures on Yoga , Advaita etc are like that . Nor do I say that their lectures and talks are incorrect .Their talks are very correct and still hold true inspite of their misconduct and I still read them because they have presented the vision correctly as the received from their Gurus /lineage .
I have no objection in people presenting Advaita directly i.e advaita without going through intense sadhana .That is their right but I request them to please not make fun of those who are doing Sadhana and Bhakti . The above 2 people were doing exactly that and look where they have landed now . The funny thing is that now they are doing "intense sadhana and invoking God " to come out of this mess . I wish them all the best .
There is enough knowledge in the world right now . My small 1 inch pendrive can accommodate all the Major Scriptures ( text + audio ) and many are now freely available on net for downloading . The problem is not knowledge but living an ethical  integrated life more so if you are taking an open role of preaching /teaching to others .
The mistake these 2 people did has not just affected them but has affected the entire tradition that they represented to such an extent the common people like us has have started questioning them and their relevance more so in the context of many such spiritual people getting now caught with their pants down on TV and Internet .
I still respect the tradition and still respect the knowledge that has been passed on through the tradition but at the end I need to introspect myself how far I am living those teachings in my own day to day life . We definitely need Knowledge + Sadhhana + Bhakti + Grace of Ishwara to lead an ethical ,Integrated life .
Om Peace .
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:09:24 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
Tushnim

For me whats really important is the understanding that changes my life..

I concur with the above quote of yours . In the past i.e many years back I used to get upset when I used to hear these sort of news but  after reading "Living By the Words of Bhagwan " I just smile when I get these sort of news . No doubt I do get upset but I do not allow that to dominate my thinking anymore .

Personally these are what I try to follow in my own life to avoid falling in to such mental traps :
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important -Teal'c

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.-Buddha

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.- Buddha

Mind your business .Attend to what you came for - Bhagwan
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »
Sri Tushnim,

If you feel you are not understood then the onus rests on you to make yourself understood, as it is you who are communicating something, it is in the right decorum if you make yourself understood better, rather than demanding others to provide a summary of what you have been saying.

You may have excellent pointers, but if it lacks in its objective that is lucidity, you have to introspect on your communication, your choice of words and sentences.

That is communication which does not give raise to long lasting endless doubts.

my humble thoughts,

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
Sri Tushnim,

Thank you, i feel already content with my relationship with God and reasoning. I also have the books of Sri Annamalai Swami, and regularly read it. I do not feel a need to strive myself to understand further over what truth reveals at various instances and teach.

You asked,

:) that would have been the case if the readers have told me "we did not understand".
If I tell them "you did not understand" and they are thinking "we have understood" :) ... LOL! what do you want me to explain

At various instances I have noticed, when ever a question was asked to you, you conveniently avoided introspection by expressing as follows:

:)
Harih Om!

I do not hold anything personal with you. All i request you as a friend is to follow the pulse of discussion with fair introspection. That is all.

I conclude myself with this.

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
Dear Atmavichar,
      :) What you said is perfect :)!
"Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis"

When we do this, even if the teacher is found to have not lived it, the teaching would remain valid within ourselves coz we live it! :)

Tushnim

I have stopped worrying much about teachers behavior .I had to bring out this issue because there was a quote on "knowledge" and "vasanas" and there has been a sort of new age Vedanta /Non duality  movement that says problem is ignorance and solution is "knowledge" and that is enough to take care of everything . I personally have no objection to any sort of theory ( New Age/Old Age ) and everyone has the right to share what they feel . That theory might work for some but I do not belong to that category .
I believe in what Bhagwan said about Vasanas and pointed out as an example of how some leading people failed in spite of having knowledge because they have not worked out on their vasanas .
I have nothing personal against those people and I have no advice for them and leave it to them /almighty to decide how they should go about with their own future .
So I am guided by those pointers I have listed before but I know that is quite a hard work and that is why I am relying on prayer to Lord Shiva /Lord Arunachala in giving me strength to go ahead on this spiritual path without getting trapped through false Gurus and false teachings and spiritual laziness .So far I have been blessed in getting the right people and right teachings in my life and I hope the same will continue in future .I consider this forum to be also a blessing in my life .
Om Peace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
Vasana Kshaya is advocated very strongly in Muktikopanishad and even Jivan Mukti viveka.
so the importance of Vasana Kshaya and Mano-nasha must be understood.

The problem however is ... what is Vasana ? The fundamental vasana is that i am the body/mind. If this is the vasana, it can only be done away with "i am not the body/mind". The thorn of "i am not the body/mind" has to be used to remove the vasana called "i am body/mind". if i am meditating on "i am not the body/mind" ... it would not be correct for me to say "i am bound". Infact every time the "i am body/mind" vasana makes me feel bound, i counter it by seeing that i am not the body/mind but the Drk of that!

If I keep giving this idea that "I AM bound" importance ...either in the secular or religious sense, then i am actually watering the vasana called "i am the body/mind" !!

Tushnim

This needs a separate thread for discussion . Let us follow it up later in a separate thread .I have started a separate thread on Vasana Kshaya . This was one reason why I asked you to start writing on "Tattva Bodha" that discusses the fundamentals . There is lot of confusion on basic words , confusion in meaning and confusion in their usage . There is a conflict in the language of experience v/s the language of understanding . I am not competent to talk about this issue at this stage .Kindly share your inputs on that thread on "Vasana Kshaya"

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
Friends

I have opened a separate thread  on vasanas for this .Kindly transfer your contents there and share your views .