Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments  (Read 12928 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »

To a Bengali, who had been accustomed to hear the Lord's name chanted with fervor and devotion, accompanied by dancing
and sankirtan, as introduced into Bengal by Lord Gouranga more than four hundred years ago, Bhagavan's method of inquiry
in absolute stillness of the mind presents a sharp contrast.  In  the life of Bhagavan, I am confronted with a towering personality,
like of which I have never seen or heard of or come across in books.

He never ran down any religion or the traditions sponsored by a religion.  For instance, the Hindu caste system had become a
target of criticism by preachers and reformers but Bhagavan would never attack it outright.  When asked whether we should
ignore caste rules, He said, 'Not in the beginning, Observe them to start with.  They serve a check on the vagaries of the mind
and it is thus purified.  On the same subject, He says, 'Differences always exist, not only in human beings but also in plants,
animals etc., This state of affairs cannot be helped.  You need not notice these distinctions. There is diversity in the world, but a
unity runs through the diversity.  The Self is the same in all. There is no difference in spirit.  The differences are external and
superficial.  Find the unity and you will be happy.

I myself am a disciple of Sri Sitaramdas Omkarnath Maharaj, the strict follower of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal dharma based
on the Vedas and Upanishads, to which foreigners have given the name Hinduism.  He is also an upholder of our Varnasrama
Dharma or caste dharma.  I therefore very much appreciate the Maharshi's respect for every religion. Once, for instance, He
told a Muslim devotee to try to understand and follow the word, Islam which means -- 'the total surrender of the ego'

Bhagavan's courageous message, reminding us of our heritage of the rishis of old, give us faith and courage despite the gloom
of the present day materialism, to seek liberation from bondage to the non Self, the fake ego, which causes sorrows and
frustrations of life.

Jagannath Chattopadyyaya - Silent Power.

Arunachala Siva.             

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »
3rd July, 1936 Talk 226.

A visitor from Tirukoilur asked if the study of the sacred books will reveal the truth.
M.: That will not suffice.
D.: Why not?
M.: Samadhi alone can reveal it. Thoughts cast a veil over Reality and so it cannot be clear in states other than Samadhi.
D.: Is there thought in Samadhi? Or is there not?
M.: There will only be the feeling I am and no other thoughts.
D.: Is not I am a thought?
M.: The egoless I am is not thought. It is realisation. The meaning or significance of I is God. The experience of I am is to Be Still.

There is a school that affirms that only a systematic study of Scriptures under a Guru alone can remove ignorance.We have had several comments,discussions  in the past on 'Samadhi' and its significance in this forum.It may help to review what Sri Bhagavan has said categorically on this.
Namaskar.