Author Topic: Pearls from the bhAgavatA  (Read 29377 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Pearls from the bhAgavatA
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
Dear Friends,

I always wanted to share this article "BHAKTI DEVI AND HER TWO SONS" from Bhagavata Mahatmyam, but since it is big article, it has been evading. i shall post this in series of posts. Those who have listened to Guru Nochur's pravahcam may be familiar. Devotees may assimilate the ambrosia herein.

--

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
BHAKTI DEVI AND HER TWO SONS

Introduction

Srimad Bhagavata Mahatmyam: The first chapter is Srimati Bhakti Devi narrating her story to Sri Narada Muni, a story of despair at the current age of Kali and its effects, especially on her two sons, Jnana and Viragya. The second chapter is where Sri Narada Muni speaks about the glory of Bhakti and the one benefit of the age of Kali. Also the Sanat Kumaras instruct Sri Narada Muni to speak the Srimad Bhagavatam as the means for reviving Jnana and Viragya. The third chapter is where the Srimad Bhagavatam is glorified and Jnana and Vairagya are revived appearing in Badrikasrama with Bhakti Devi chanting the Holy Names of the Lord.

Suta Goswami had said to the rsis headed by Saunaka, "I'll tell you a story, bhakti-katha, a story full of bhakti. What I have heard from my Guru, Sukadeva Goswami in a secluded place, I'll will tell you."

The Age of Kali

Once in the Badrikasram the four Kumaras Sanaka, Sanatana, Sanandana, Sanat Kumara appeared there. They are always five year old boys, always naked. They are the first born sons of Bramha, not ordinary personalities. They appeared there in Badrikasram.
So at that time, they saw Devasi Narada looking very morose. The four Kumaras said, "Oh Naradaji, why are you so morose? Your face indicates that you are very much morose. Why? What is the reason for your moroseness? From where are you coming? Where are you going? It seems that you have lost a very valuable asset and therefore you look morose like that. What is the reason?"

Narada said, "I wandered everywhere in this material world and I cannot get satisfaction at all because this Kali Yuga has come, Kali yuga is the age of sinful activity. Such sinful activities are rampant, people are envious of each other, quarrelling and fighting, so much enviousness is there. All of these things are going on. What is the condition of Kali Yuga? "

This is Kali yuga, there is no truthfulness, everyone is speaking lies. All are affected by Kali yuga. There is no tapasya, no austerity, no penance, no sadachara. All human beings are only engaged in how to fill their belly, eating, sleeping, defending and mating, this is our activities in Kali Yuga.

Intelligence is bad, fortune is bad, manda-bhagya, suffering from disease, so many diseases are there. There are so called sadhus, pseudo sadhus. They are running after a woman and wealth, no krsna-katha.

In every grha, household women are predominating, not men. The brother of the wife is minister, gives instruction, do this, do that. Every human being has developed so much greed for the objects of sense enjoyment. They earn money, money, money. They are selling their own daughters. Only quarrelling goes on. Fighting between husband and wife. Fighting between father and son, fighting between friends. Everybody thinks I am great, I am great. This damba, pride is the measuring rod in Kali Yuga. Two persons quarrel and fight, two groups quarrel and fight, two communities quarrel and fight, two neighbors quarrel and fight, all are quarrelling and fighting. Aham bada hai! "I am great!" This is Kali yuga.

In Bharata-varsa, India, all the ashrams headed by the brahmacari-asaram are polluted, all holy places, the holy rivers, all are occupied by melechhas and yavanas. This is Kali yuga. Many, many temples are broken down. It is very, very difficult to get siddha-sadhaka because everything is being burnt by forest fire, the Kali yuga is like a forest fire."

"In Kali yuga all the human beings are so greedy, so greedy. They are only thinking how to earn money, money, money. Brighter than sunshine, sweeter than honey, more money, more money, more money. They are selling rice, anna in the baazar. Anna should not be sold. Anna should be distributed, but they are selling! This is Kali yuga. In other yugas it is not done like that.

Those brahmanas are selling Vedas! Yes, they are utilising the Bhagavata like a mercantile commodity. They are selling it to earn their livelihood. Women are selling their hair and making wigs. Selling their body and becoming prostitutes to earn money. This is Kali yuga." In the Western world it is very, very true.

End of Part 1; to be continued
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:09:00 AM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »

Vrndavana Dhama

Narada Muni said, "Just seeing all this, wandering through all the world, I cannot get any happiness or any satisfaction. At last, I came to Vrndavana dhama. There Krsna played His rasa dance. Oh great sages! I saw a wonderful thing there, a wonderful incident. I went to the banks of the Yamuna River and there I saw one young lady, a devotee maiden, sitting there crying and crying. She was very, very unhappy. On her left hand side two old men were there, just lying there, very, very old and breathing heavily. This lady was serving them taking care of them, sometimes giving consolation, sometimes crying.

I also saw some sadhus and innumerable young maidens there. The sadhus and the young maidens were saying to the crying maiden, "Oh Devi, oh goddess, have patience, have patience, good fortune will come to you. Lord Krsna will definitely shower mercy on you." They were saying this again and again. I became amazed. I approached the maiden out of curiosity. Seeing me that young lady, who was sixteen years old, stood up and greeted me saying, "Oh sadhu, Narada Muni, you are a great sadhu, please stay here. Seeing you I feel some consolation, some solace in my heart. I hope you will definitely give me consolation and my distress will vanish, because when someone meets a sadhu, it is to be understood that good fortune has arisen for him. I think because a sadhu like you has come, some good fortune has come to me."

[ tatrapi durlabham manye
  vaikuntha-priya-darsanam

Even those who have achieved human life rarely gain the association of pure devotees, who are dear to the Lord of Vaikuntha. ]

End of Part 2; to be continued..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
Bhakti Devi and Her Two Sons

Narada said, "Oh Devi, O goddess, who are you? Why are these old men lying here? Why are these young ladies here? What is your tale of woe, please tell me?"

Then that young lady said, "I am Bhakti. I am celebrated by this name Bhakti Devi. These two old men are my sons, Jnana and Viragya, they have grown old, affected with old age." Mother is young, sons are old, it is the complete opposite. "All these ladies you see are all the holy tirthas headed by Ganga, Yamuna, etc. They have come here to serve me." They have come to serve the Goddess Bhakti. "Though I am served by them, still I have no happiness, I have no good fortune. I am very, very distressed and unhappy. Oh Narada Muni, please listen to my tale of woe. If I speak then I'll get some solace in my heart." Yes, if you speak your tale of woe to your friend then you will get some solace, yes.

Bhakti Devi continued, "My birthplace is Dravida bhumi, South India. I grew up in Karnataka and sometimes I stayed in Maharashtra [to the North] but when I went to Gujurat I became old. Kali reigns there in Gujurat, yes. Many pasandis reside there. They injure my body and I became old. My sons became old and morose lacking all vitality. They had no strength. So now I have come to Vrndavan. When I entered into Vrndavan I got back my youth. I am now young again, but my sons are not getting back their youth, they are still old.

Bhakti Devi said: idam sthanam parityajya videsam gamyate maya, I want to leave this place to go to the Western countries, a foreign land, why I'll stay in this land? I am now young but my sons are old, therefore I am much distressed." Mother is young while her sons are old, have you seen this anywhere? It is completely opposite?

Narada Muni said, "This has happened to you but don't feel distressed. You are famous as Bhakti devi. Definitely Lord Hari will shower His mercy on you and you will find happiness."

Suta Goswami continued to narrate the story to the Rsis headed by Sanaka.

Narada Muni immediatley understood everything and said, "Oh Devi please hear from me. This is a very, very dreadful age now in Kali yuga, all sat-karma is completely destroyed and the yoga-marga, the path of yoga is completely lost. In Kali Yuga all are sinful persons: papis, cheaters and hypocrites. Their numbers are rampant, increasing and all of them are engaged in sinful activities as they are now all demons.

santo hy asmin su-duhkharta asanto hrsta-manasah
drsyate dhira-cittas tu pandito ’pi na ko ’pi ca
[Srimad-bhagavata-mahatmyam ch.1, vs.57]

In Kali yuga such pasandis are very happy, they are very happy, but those who are real sadhus are suffering.

End of Part 3; to be continued..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

The Burdon of Mother Earth

Narada Muni said, "Alright, please have patience, please have patience. Those who are patient are dhira, they are never bewildered, dhiras tatra na muhyati [BG 2.13]. The burden of the earth is increasing day by day in Kali yuga because her inhabitants are all demons. Demons are a great burden on the earth. Ananta deva who is carrying this earth is feeling her to be heavier and heavier. No auspiciousness is there in Kali Yuga, such a dreadful age.

No one is now taking care of your two sons, Jnana and Viragya. They are completely ignored in Kali yuga because the demons are very much attatched to sense gratification and material enjoyment. Who wants Jnana and Viragya? Therefore, you are distressed. This is good fortune that you have come to Vrndavan dhama. You have regained your youth because in Vrndavan only bhakti dances here. Bhakti Devi dances here in Vrndavan, but there are no customers in Vrndavan of Jnana and Viragya. We all want bhakti but no one wants Jnana and Viragya, therefore your two sons cannot get back their youth. They cannot give up their old age because there is no one who wants them. Nobody wants Jnana and Viragya in Vrndavan dhama. Still they have got some little happiness here, therefore they are sleeping. They are having a very sound sleep."

End of Part 4; to be continued
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:31:38 AM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
The One Benefit of Kali Yuga

Bhakti Devi said, "Why didn't Pariksit Maharaja kill Kali? Why he didn't kill? Merciful Lord Hari is tolerating all these things now, how is He letting all these things happen? This is my doubt, please dispell my doubt."

Then Narada said, "Oh Devi, alright, I'll tell you. You please hear then all your doubts will be dispelled and you will get some solace if you hear this katha."

drsto dig-vijaye rajna dina-vac charanam gatah
na maya maraniyo ‘yam saranga iva sara-bhuk

yat phalam nasti tapasa na yogena samadhina
tat phalam labhate samyak kalau kesava-kirtanat
[Srimad-bhagavata-mahatmyam ch.1, vs. 66-67]

Narada Muni said, "When Pariksit Maharaja was wandering in the world, he saw Kali and was going to kill him but Kali took shelter and surrendered to him. This is the dharma of a ksatriya, if someone surrenders he will give him shelter and not kill him. Therefore, Pariksit Maharaja is a sadhu, so he is an ideal ksatriya. He therefore didn't kill Kali.

kaler dosa-nidhe rajan
asti hy eko mahan gunah
kirtanad eva krsnasya
mukta-sangah param vrajet
[SB 12.3.51]

"My dear King, although Kali-yuga is an ocean of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: Simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom."

But, though this Kali yuga is a horrible age, a most sinful, degraded age, so many evils are here like an unlimited ocean, still one good thing is here. If one chants Krsna-kirtan immediately you will be delivered. Such an opportunity is not available in any other yuga. What people achieved through tapasya, yoga-sadhana and samadhi of other yugas, people of Kali yuga will achieve only by doing Hari-kirtan, Krsna-kirtan. They will get all the same results. For this reason, Kali yuga is such a good age. Pariksit Maharaja understood all these things therefore he did not kill Kali. If he had killed Kali then this benefit of Kali Yuga would not have been available.

End of Part 5; to be continued

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
The Nature of Kali Yuga

People in Kali yuga are engaged in all abominable activities, sinful activities. The essence of Bhagavata-katha is lost because all are non-devotees avaisnavas pandits. Their activities are selling the Bhagavata, utilising the Bhagavata as a mercantile commodity to earn money. Such 'pandits' are there in Vrndavan giving bhagavata-pravacan and earning money. Some also come to the Western world speaking Bhagavata-katha and earn millions of dollars.

There are no real brahmans in Kali yuga, kalau sudra sambhavah. All are sudras, only hypocrites going to every household speaking Bhagavata and earning money. Therefore the essence is lust. The people of Kali yuga are affected with lust, anger, delusion. Some demons undergo severe austerities and tapasya. The result of tapasya is only lust.

Those who are materialistic pandits, day and night, they are like dogs or hogs only enjoying sex. They are very expert in producing children. They are completely forgetful of their goal of life in Kali yuga. This is such a dreadful age and this is its nature. So who shall I blame, it is the nature of Kali yuga. Lotus eyed Lord Hari is tolerating everything.

End of Part 6; to be continued

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
The Promise of Narada Muni

Then Bhakti Devi said, "O Devarsi Narada, you are glorified, very good fortune has come to me because you have come here and I met you. It is very rare to have the darshan of a sadhu."

Narada said,

baddhvanjalim tvaya prstam kim karomiti caikada
tvam tadajnapayat krsno mad-bhaktan posayeti ca
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 2, vs. 6]

"Oh Devi, one day you approached Lord Krsna with folded hands and asked Him what shall I do? At that time Krsna said, "You maintain my devotees." That order is there with you. It is Krsna's order. Krsna became very much pleased with you. So he gave mukti as your maid servant and gave Jnana and Viragya as your two sons."

anya-dharmams tiras-krtya puras-krtya mahotsavan
tada naham harer daso loke tvam na pravartaye
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam ch. 2, vs. 14]

Then Narada promised, "If I cannot establish bhakti, if I cannot establish you and instead only varnasramadi-dharma and other dharmas are there, I promise, I'll never go by this name of Hari dasa." Such a promise Narada Muni made to Bhakti Devi.

Sri Krsna is Submitted by Prema Bhakti

nrnam janma-sahasrena bhaktih su-krtinam bhavet
kalau bhaktih kalau bhaktir bhaktya krsnah purah-sthitah
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam ch. 2, vs. 19 ]

Those persons who have accumulated sufficient pious activities for thousands of births achieve bhakti because by execution of bhakti alone, one is able to situate himself in the abode of the supreme Lord Krishna.

manusyanam sahasresu
kascid yatati siddhaye
yatatam api siddhanam
kascin mam vetti tattvatah
[Bg. 7.3]

Out of thousands among men, one makes an endeavour for perfection. Those very few who reach perfection, hardly one may understand Me in tattva.

It's not an easy to endeavour for perfection in Kali yuga, it is very, very difficult. After thousands and thousands of years and thousands and thousands of births, one maybe attracted towards bhakti. But in Kali yuga only bhakti is there. There is no jnana, karma or yoga. Kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha, [Cc. Adi 17.21]. No other way is there, three times it is mentioned. Karma, jnana and yoga: these three are denied in Kali yuga, only bhakti is there.

Krsna only becomes submitted by prema-bhakti, ‘Bhaktye’ krsna vasa haya, [Cc Mad. 20.136]. Krsna appears before his pure devotee, a premi-bhakta, otherwise Krsna will never appear."

End of Part 7; to be continued

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
Awakening of Jnana and Viragya

Then Narada tried his best to awaken Jnana and Viragya. In their ears he very loudly shouted, "O Jnana! O Viragya! Wake up! Wake up!" But they were not waking up. Seeing it was not possible to wake them by this means, Narada Muni then uttered the Upanisadas and then the Gita, again and again in their ears. He thereby tried his best to awaken them. They would just raise their heads a little and then fall back asleep: "Ahhh! Ahhh!" Nothing would awaken them.

They were very, very old and all their hairs had grown white like a crane. Their limbs were very, very weak, like dry wood. Seeing this, Narada Muni became very distressed and thoughtful. "What shall I do? I cannot see any means to awaken them. Why aren't they awakening from sleep? Why isn't their old age going away? Then as he remembered Bhagavan Govinda, one aerial voice came and spoke, "O Devarsi Narada, don't be distressed, don't be disappointed. Your endeavour must be fruitful, there is no doubt in it. Sadhus like you are the ornaments of the world. You go and meet some sadhus, they will tell you what is sat-karma. If you do that sat-karma, then Jnana and Viragya's old age will be reversed. They will wake up and become young again and Bhakti Devi will be blissful. Mother Bhakti will dance everywhere." The aerial voice spoke to Narada in this way.

Establishing Bhakti and the Sat-Karma for Kali Yuga

Narada Muni thought where are those sadhus who can tell me what is sat-karma? Narada Muni went to Badarikasrama and saw the four Kurmars. "O Devarsi Narada, you are glorified, you are the chief Hari Dasa and dear devotee of Krsna. Only you can establish bhakti. We will tell you what is sat-karma-sadhana. Please hear:

sat-karma sucako nunam jnana-yajnah smrto budhaih
srimad-bhagavatalapah sa tu gitah sukadibhih

bhakti-jnana-viraganam tad-ghosena balam mahat
brajisyati dvayoh kastam sukham bhakter bhavisyati
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 2, vs. 60-61]

The four Kumars said, "All pandits have said jnana and viragya are sat-karma. Jnana-karma is bhagavata-katha, the Bhagavata spoken by Sukadeva Goswami. If you do that sat-karma, bhagavata-katha, speak the Bhagavata [Srimad Bhagavatam] then Bhakti Devi's Jnana and Viragya will get strength. Bhakti Devi will be blissful and her sons will regain their youth and strength, yes. This is sat-karma.

pralayam hi gamisyanti srimad-bhagavata-dhvaneh
kali-dosaime sarve simha-sabdad vrka iva

jnana-vairagya-samyukta bhaktih prema-rasavaha
prati-geham prati-janam tatah kridam karisyati
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 2, vs. 62-63]

Hearing the roaring of a lion, a tiger becomes fearful and flees. Similarly in this Kali yuga if a pure devotees, a pure bhakta-bhagavata speaks bhagavata, then all the ills of Kali yuga will be destroyed. Jnana and Viragya along with Bhakti Devi will get their strength and there will be a flood of prema, yes. If this bhagavata-prema coming from bhagavata-katha will innundate every house then Bhakti Devi will be blissful and Jnana and Viragya will become young again."

End of Part 8; to be continued..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Narada said, "I have already spoken the Upanisadas and the Gita in their ears, again and again, but they did not wake up. Why they didn't wake up since you are saying bhagavata-katha will do so? How is it possible? Bhagavata is the essence of all the Vedas, Vedanta, Upanisadas including the Gita. I spoke continuously in the ears of Jnana and Viragya and they still did not wake up. How they are not waking up? This is the essence of the Vedanta, Upanisadas.

The Kumars said, "Yes that's a fact. Bhagavata is the essence of all the Veda Vedanta, Upanisadas, but the Srimad Bhagavatam is their fruit, nigama-kalpa-taror galitam phalam, [SB 1.1.3]. This is the most ripened, sweetest nectarean juice of the Vedic tree. It is a product of the tree of Bhagavata. As for example, ghee is there in the milk, but if someone drinks milk, can he taste the ghee? If milk could be prepared into butter and all the water removed then ghee can be prepared. One can then taste the ghee in the milk.

cari-veda—'dadhi', bhagavata—'navanita'
mathilena suke, khailena pariksita
[CB. Mad 21.16]

"The four Vedas are like yogurt, and Srimad Bhagavatam is like the butter. Sukadeva Goswami churned the Veda to produce the Bhagavatam and Pariksit Maharaja relished this butter, the Srimad Bhagavatam."
Yogurt contains water but Sukadeva Goswami churned that yogurt so butter came out, then Pariksit Maharaja ate this butter. Similarly, as sugar is there in the sugar cane juice, it gives sweetness. When sugar cane juice is boiled and condensed to extract sugar then one can taste the sweetness in the sugar.

Similarly, in bhagavata-katha, this bhagavata is nigama-kalpa-taror galitam phalam, [SB 1.1.3]. It is the most ripened, sweetened, nectarian juicy fruit of the Vedic tree. If the fruit is collected from the Vedic tree then that is the Bhagavata. When Bhagavata is recited by a premi-bhakta then you can taste its sweetness.

yatra bhagavati varta tatra bhakty-adikam vrajet
katha-sabdam samakarnya tat trikam tarunayate
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 9]

Where bhagavata-katha is spoke by a premi-bhakta, where Bhagavata-patha pravacana is going on then Bhakti Devi, Jnana and Viragya run there, they run there. Hearing this bhagavata-katha they regain their youth and strength.

The Kurmaras said, "Hearing the glories of the Bhagavata, Mukti becames a maid servant. Mukti is the maid servant of Bhakti Devi. Where there is bhakti, then mukti becomes a maid servant.

This is the glory of the Srimad Bhagavatam, yes. Sadyo hrdy avarudhyate ’tra [SB 1.1.2] Sri Hari who is there in the heart immediately becomes bound up, yes. Such is the glory of Bhagavata. This is a daily activity. Therefore as one has daily activities; one eats food daily, take bath, passes stool, all these things are done daily, similarly, one should read and hear Srimad Bhagavatam daily. Not even one day should be missed. If you follow my instructions then all your miseries and sufferings will be gone, yes. You'll become a very handsome looking young man, no more old age, you will be youthful. Daily we should hear Srimad Bhagavatam.

The Kumaras said:

tavat samsara-cakre ‘smin bhramate ‘jnanatah puman
yavat karna-gata nasti suka-sastra-katha ksanam
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 27]

“As long as one has not heard Bhagavata-katha from the lips of Sukadeva Gosvami, he will never be free from the dense darkness of ignorance. He will remain covered by this ignorance, and continuously revolve in the cycle of birth and death.”

katha bhagavatasyapi nityam bhavati yad grhe
tad grham tirtha-rupam hi vasatam papa-nasanam

asva-medha-sahasrani vajapeya-satani ca
suka-sastra-kathayas ca kalam narhanti sodasim
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 29-30]

“Any home where bhagavata-katha is recited daily or any place where bhagavata-patha pravacana is going on then that house becomes tirtha, holy place. The sinful reactions of the residents of that house will be destroyed immediately. They receive the results of performing thousands of asvamedha-yajnas, horse sacrifices and one hundred vajapeya-yajnas, yes. Such a result they get. Not only this result but just one-sixteenth the benefit of hearing Srimad-Bhagavatam is as good as performing one thousand asvamedha-yajnas, horse sacrifices and one hundred vajapeya-yajnas."

tavat papani dehe ‘smin nivasanti tapodhanah
yavan na sruyate samyak srimad-bhagavatam naraih
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 31]

"O Narada Muni, tapodhanah, as long as human beings have not heard bhagavata-katha then all the sins will reside in their bodies."

slokardham sloka-padam va nityam bhagavatodbhavam
pathasva sva-mukhenaiva yadicchasi param gatim
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch.3, vs. 33]

If you really want to achieve the supreme perfection in your life, you should utter one Bhagavatam verse daily. That is why we write and recite the Bhagavatam sloka at the beginning of Srimad Bhagavatam class every morning. This is non-different from Krsna. If somebody utters half a verse or one fourth of a verse daily he gets param gatim, the supreme destination.

yas ca bhagavatam sastram vacayed arthato ‘nisam
janma-koti-krtam papam nasyante natra samsayah
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 37]

If someone speaks and explains one sloka of the Bhagavata daily, if he does bhagavata-pravacan, the sinful reactions that he may have accumulated for crores of lives will be destroyed. There is no doubt in it, yes. He is considered sukrtivan vyakti, a pious and fortunate person. If he explains, even utters half a verse, or a fourth of a verse he gets the results of performing rajasuya-yajna and asvamedha-yajna, the horse sacrifice and rajasuya sacrifice performed by great emperors.

anta-kale tu yenaiva sruyate suka-sastra-vak
pritya tasyaiva vaikuntham govindo ‘pi prayacchati
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 40]

"If a person who is dying, at the time of death hears bhagavata-katha that has come out from the lips of Sukadeva Gosvami, then Lord Govinda will be very much pleased with him and gives him a place in Vaikuntha-loka. Therefore this Vedic system is there in India, if somebody is about to die, people will recite the Bhagavata before him. Let him hear the Srimad Bhagavatam because he will go to Vaikuntha. This understanding is there in India. In the Western countries it is not there, but this is a fact."

dhik tam naram pasu-samam bhuvi bhara-rupam
evam vadanti divi deva-saroja-mukhyah
[Srimad Bhagavata-mahatmyam, ch. 3, vs. 43]

"He is the most unfortunate person who has not even drunk one drop of this amrta, nectar emanating from Bhagavata-katha. He is a great sinful person, and though he is living he is a dead body, jivan-mrtya. He is a great burdon on Mother Earth."

Therefore, O Narada Muni, you should perform this sat-karma, bhagavata-patha-pravacana. Make such arrangements. There are no rules or regulations for performing bhagavata-patha-pravacana. At any place, any time, one can speak bhagavata-katha. It is sravana-kirtan. So make arrangment for this sravana-kirtan of bhagavat-katha. This Bhagavata is saksad-dhari, is as good as Lord Hari and is the vani-avatara, the vani incarnation of Lord Krsna. By serving the Bhagavata, hearing Bhagavata, reading Bhagavata, seeing Bhagavata, no pap, sin will remain in the body of such a person.

Suta Goswami said, "Sanakadi, the four Kumaras in this way glorified the Bhagavatam."

End of Part 9; to be continued..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
The Appearance of Bhakti Devi

Suta Goswami continued, "At that time a wonderful incident took place. Please listen, I am telling."

Immediately Bhakti Devi, assuming the form of a very young maiden with her two sons Jnana and Viragya appeared there. Her sons were no longer old but youthful. All of them were uttering, Krsna Govinda Hare Murare Madhu Kaitavare. They are uttering the name of Krsna Govinda Hari Murari, again and again. This is the wonderful incident that took place.

At that time, the munis were arguing amoung themselves how Bhakti Devi appeared here at Badarikasrama? The Kumars said, "Bhakti Devi has appeared with her two sons, Jnana and Viragya because of this Bhagavata-katha, glorifing the Bhagavata."

Then Bhakti Devi offered obeisances to the four Kumars. She said, "In this Kali yuga my limbs have been injured here but hearing the glories of bhagavata-katha from your mouth, O Sanat Kumar, I am nourished now. My full youthful body has returned and my two sons have also regained their youth. But where shall I stay now?"

Then the Kumar's said, "You are Bhakti Devi, you stay with the bhaktas, devotees, those who are dear devotees of Lord Hari. You maintain the bhaktas, thereby they can get prema, krsna-prema. Their bhava-roga, material diseases, janma-mrtyu-jara-vyadhi, [Bg. 13.9] will be completely gone. So this is your place. Please stay in the heart of such vaisnavas, that is your place, yes. Always you should stay, patiently, in the heart of such vaisnavas, bhaktas."

Concluded.

One may interchange Bhakti Devi to Jnana Devi or Varagya as well. Let the reader not to misled that this is only glorifying Bhakti. The essence is that one cannot be without the others, BHAKTI - VAIRAGYA - JNANA. They all are just ONE!

Bhagavan willing, i will also post the story of Atma Deva. yet another excellent story!

--

--
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:52:32 AM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »

O King! Living beings feel injured when subjected to physical sufferings or insults.
They also feel killed when threatened with physical death. This is due to their
identification with the physical body - the feeling of I am the body idea.

The Supreme who is the one without a second, who transcends Prakriti and is the
Soul and controller of everything, can have no particular identification with
anything or attachment to anybody.

Narada to Yudhishtira (VII, 1, 23-24)

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Was Hiranyakasipu a demon? If we are to truly ask for a better boon from God, then we cannot excel Hiranyakasipu. The boon he asked of Brahma is saakshtaat Aatma Saakshaatkaram. Let us see with insight not just the story alone. The moment Hiranyakasipu was granted boon, Prhlaada was born as his son, Prahlaada is the intellect, the light, the wisdom. The seed of the boon granted to Hiranyakasipu.

Hiranyakasipu's intense austerities and meditation amazed Brahma who appeared before him and shedding tears of joy, saluting him, Hiranyakasipu began to sing the following spontaneously -

When time had engulfed everything in darkness
at the end of the previous cosmic cycle, Thou,
the self-luminous consciousness,
again manifested it by Thy Light.

Thou creates preserves and destroys the manifested (universe)
with the three aspects - satva rajas and tamas
the highest being who infills everything

Salutations to the Primeval Seed, who has the knowledge
of the unity of existence and of the multiplicity as
established in the unity.

Salutations to him who comes into clear manifestation
as Prana, Indriyas, Mukhyaprana (Vital Energy)

Thou art the master and controller of all living and
non living beings. Thou art the master of their consciousness,
Life force, mind and senses.

Thou art the Great being that controls and directs matter,
external sense organs and the internal instrument of knowledge.

(VII, 3, 26-29)

Contd..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
We may generally assume, Hiranyakasipu was a barbarian, uncivilised and so on but if we observe closely, we can see such a great Bhakta in Hiranyakasipu that gets hidden in the external life that is manifested through his body. Only a person of Bhakti and Jnaana can sing something so wonderful. Let us see further of his hymm to Brahma -

Thou art the one soul of all living beings,
the living and limitles one and the knower of all

Thou art the winkles Time, who, in the form of moments
and no longer measures, dost reduce the life span of all beings
and ultimately bring them to their death.

Though Thou art the creator of everything, Thou art not in the
least affected by Thy work of Thy creation

Unmodified Spirit, Lord of all, and beginingless and partless Being,
Thou vivifest all with life.

There is nothing what ever as cause and effect, as the moving
and the unmoving, that exists apart from Thee.

All knowledge, sacred (Vedas) and secular (arts) are Thy form.

Thou art the vat All- Comprehending Being who is beyond the Pradhaana (first)
who i described as Hiranagarbha - Golden egg who holds the whole universe in
seminal (seed) condition within himself.

Thy gross body is the universe, visible to the the eye, with which Thou enjoyest the
functions of the senes, prana and manas remaining at the same time
in Thy transcendental realm and as indweller in all, the eternal being.

He who pervades all this by His limitless and imperceptible presence, to that Being
having matter and spirit as His two powers -

My salutions!!

(VII, 3, 30 - 34)

Contd..

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
Thereafter, Hiranyakasipu lays forth the boon that he desires from Brahma -

1 - Grant that none of Thy creations shall be able to kill me

2 - It should be impossible to to kill me
      during night or day,
      on earth or in sky,
      by man or animal,
      by any wepon

3 - should not meet death from entities with life or without life
     from Devas or Asuras and serpants
     that no opponent will be able to face me in batle

4 - i be the emperor of all the worlds

5 - May i have the imperishable glory and splendor which Thou
     and the protecting Deities possess naturally, and which great men
     acquire by Tapas and Yoga!

(VII, 3, 35-38)

What an intelligent boon to ask! A person who just sang to Brahma a hymm that extols the highest wisdom, would he not know the essence of the kind of boon that he has asked for?

The very world prahlaad means delightl, bliss, showing or shining as brilliantly as the sun.

The very moment this boon was granted, prahlaad began to shine forth from within.

Finally, just as the Bramarakitra nyaya, what had to follow was the fruition of the boon given to Hiranyakasipu, is his recognition of hi Self. The esoteric representation of the Supreme Self in the form of Narasimha is so wonderful. Hiranyakasipu is stumped and the violent and killing of Hiranyakasipu by Narasimha is his coming to terms with truth painfully, what we call in modern terms a death experience. Thenceforth what only remained is "Prahlaad" alone, the Supreme Self!

--

[