Author Topic: Pearls from the bhAgavatA  (Read 25576 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Pearls from the bhAgavatA
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:40 AM »
bhakti

When all the powers of man' senses, which are ordinarily frittered away through external contacts, are purified through devotional practices and dedicated action, and they get naturally focused on IshwarA (sattvA) exclusively, without any extraneous and self-centered motivation, and with a firmness which no obstruction can overpower  that state of mind is called bhakti, or the highest form of devotion for the Lord. Such devotion is superior even to Mukti. It burns up the covering of ignorance in a person just as fire burns objects put into it.

Some endowed with such bhakti do not aspire for mOkshA or even oneness with My Being; for their delight consists in serving Me and in working out My will (and not in becoming one with Me). They therefore congregate together and honor Me by adoration and participation in My works. Such holy persons perceive and engage themselves in loving conversations with My enthralling spiritual Emanations, who possess beaming countenances and lotus-like eyes and have the power to grant all that the devotees may want.

Though their minds are thus captivated by and absorbed in My enchanting form-full aspect with its charming and sublime features, movements, smile, looks and speech, their devotion leads them in the end to liberation (mukti), though they themselves do not care for it.

(kapilopadEshA,  III, 25, 32-36)

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Pearls from the bhAgavatA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
Supreme state of bhaktI

The practice of bhaktI takes many forms according to the differences of traditions. This is necessitated by the fact that people's attitude and tendencies differ according to the dominance of particular nature in them.

The man dominated by tamas imagines Me, at the bidding of his cruel nature, as a being entirely in separation to be propitiated from motives of vengence, ostentation, jealousy and other low propensities.

The man of rajas nature worships Me as an extraneous being in images and the like for worldy enjoyments, wealth and fame.

The man of sAtvikA nature, while still maintaining the attitude of separateness from Me, performs worships for liberation from the bondage of karmA (ie. for mOkShA), or as an offering to God, or as a scriptural injunctin to be obeyed.

When, by the mere hearning of My excellences, the mind streams forth like the waters in the sea, unmotivated, unrestricted, and onepointed towards Me, the purushOttamA and the Presence in the hearts of all, that kind of love is called bhakti that transcends the gunAs.

Such devotees do not accept, even when offered, any of the five forms of libration (mOkshA) - sAlOkyA (living in My sphere), sAmIpya (living close to Me) sAUpya (having a form similar to Mine), and sAyUjya (being one with Me). The only thing they wabt is the opportunity to render loving service to Me. Such is th greatness and glory of this supreme state of bhaktI that by means of it the jIvA overcomes the hold of the three gunAs of prakriti and becomes fit for My divine state.

(kapilOpadEsa, III, 29, 7-14)

[

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »
I am so happy for this work of yours, Sri Nagaraj! Keep doing it! :)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Thank you sri harI, Bhagavan willing, we would be able to keep it going :)

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Life lived without bhaktI
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
Life lived without bhaktI is useless

A man has really lived only during those moments of his life that have been spent in the thought of the Lord. Vain are th lives of the rest, their life-span being merely food for time to swallow through its jaws of sunrise and sunset. Do not trees live their life span? Do not bellows take take in and send out air? Do not animals, domestic and wild eat and mate? Alas! What is human life worth, if it fulfills only these very same functions!

He into whose ears the Lord's name has not entered, he is a man in form, but but in fact only an animal, a dog, a pig, a camel, an ass, or the like. That ear in to which words dealing with the Lord's excellences have not entered, is a mere cavity and nothing more. He whose perverse tongue has never uttered the Lord's names and praises is verily as despicable as the tongue of a frog. The head of a man, though bedecked with silk turbans and diadems, is with all its adornments just a burden, if it does not bow down before the Lord. And a hand that never serves the Lord is verily a cadaverous limb worn on it. The eyes that are not accustomed to see the images of the Lord and holy men, are as purposeless as the eyes in the centre of peacock feathers. And the feet that never tread the way to holy centres of His worship, are no better than those of trees that cannot move. That man is a mere living corpse who has never contacted the dust of th feet of devotees; a breathing corpse is he who has never breathed the fragrance of the tulasi leaves with which the Lord's feet have been worshiped. A man whose heart is unmoved, whose eyes shed not tears, and hair stand not on end when the Lord's names are uttered, he verily is possessed of a heart of stone.

(Sage shaunaka)

(II, 4, 17-24)

[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

This is exactly what Sri Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam, Tiru Sadakam, Verse 1:

மெய்தான் அரும்பி விதிர் விதிர்த்து உன் விரை ஆர் சுழற்கு என்
கைதான் தலை வைத்துக் கண்ணீர் ததும்பி வெதும்பி உள்ளம்
பொய்தான் தவிர்ந்து உன்னைப் போற்றி சய சய போற்றி என்னும்
கைதான் நெகிழ விடேன் உடையாய் என்னைக் கண்டு கொள்ளே. 5

My body should have sweat and it should wobble with melting love for you.
I should keep my hands over my head and pray to anklet wearing feet.
My eyes should copious tears. The mind should melt. I should avoid all lies and falsity.
I should say Jaya Jaya and praise your glories, I should not leave your feet., O Lord
my Master, please look at me and shower Grace.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »
Very beautiful verse Sir, "That One" has been seen commonly by all great sages. Simply reading the tamil words itself is a bliss, by default!

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
reveal Thyself to us out of Thy infinite mercy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:09 AM »
Reveal Thyself to us out of Thy infinite mercy

O'Infinite Being! Thou, who, though present in the hearts of of all, art not experienced by evil-hearted persons, hast verily appeared today before our very eyes. This perhaps is not to be wondered at, since Thou hadst entered into our hearts much earlier through our ears when we received the instructions from our father, Brahma, about Thy mystic glory. We know that it is Thou alone, who art the Supreme Spirit, that has taken this form of pure sattvA, generating infinite joy in the hearts of devotees, Thou art realised as such in the hearts of sages who are endowed with renunciation and the knots of whose hearts have been cut asunder by the firm and devoted practice of the disciplines of bhaktI which Thou Thyself hast revealed to mankind out of Thy grace

O' Beloved Lord! Thou worshipful one! Thy devotees who have taken shelter at Thy feet and who are intelligent and sensitive enough to understand and feel the incomparable sweetness of Thy excellences, as revealed through Thy creative and redemptive activities, reject even mOkshA, considered as Thy highest gift, in preference to Thy service. How little will they then care for boons that bestow joys of the perishable world, which come and go at the movement of Thy brow.

Let us be born in any state of misery, due to our misdeeds. We do not care for the sufferings of it, if our minds would even then delight only in Thy feet as honey-bees do in flowers, if our ears would always be filled with nothing but the sounds of conveying Thy excellences and if, like the humble tulasI leaves, our words will derive any worth solely due to their connection with Thy feet.

O' Lord! O' Thou the all-renowned! Thy form now revealed to us can never be seen by impure minds. Thy revelation of it has brought to us the bliss of spiritual fulfilment. We salute Thee the Supreme Being who, though imperceptible to men without self-control, has beeen pleased to reveal Thyself to us out of Thy infinite mercy.

The Prayer of the kUmArAs, III, 15, 46-50)

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
bhAgavata dharmA
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
bhAgavata dharmA

For man suffering from the agonies of the life of samsArA, springing from the identification of the Atman with the body, the worship of the feet of acyutA, the immortal Being, is the only way to attain the state that is free from fear and suffering. For one attaining Him the fears of samsArA end for ever. For the easy attainment of the truth of the Atman by persons who are uninstructed, the Lord has Himself directly revealed a way. Know that to be the bhAgavata dharmA. O King! No obstacles can stand in the way of one adopting this dharmA. He will no slip or fall down while running on the highways of samsArA, even if his two eyes are blindfolded (ie. even if he is unable to derive knowledge from any source) What ever actions there are that a person does with his body, word, mind and all other sense organs by the prompting of tendencies generated by one's past karmA - all hat should be dedicated to nArAyaNA (in respect of fruits and agency)

For one whose mind is turned away from the Lord, there will be no awareness of his own true self. As a consequence he will feel identified with the body; from such identification will rise hankering and attachment for bodily objects; and from it, fear of their loss and of death. All this arises from the functioning of His mAyA (which none can overcome except by His Grace).

So let a wise man serve the Lord through while hearted devotion, recognising His presence in the Guru, in the deities and in all beings. The objective world, a second existence seems to exist, but it has no such separate existence in reality. Such existence as it has, is like that of the contents of a dream or of a reverie, which are entirely based on the dreamer's mind, and do not exist apart from the mind. So let a wise man control the movements of the mind, which is projecting itself through images and cognition over them at the prompting of desires. In order to gain such control, let a person move about in the world, without attachment for anything, constantly hearing about the sanctifying incarnations and the sportive actions of the Lord and chanting without any bashfulness His holy names indicative of His attributes and sportive actions.

In an aspired devoted to this discipline of chanting the beloved Lord's name constantly, there develops intense love that melts his heart As s consequence he laughs and cries in ecstasy, chants the names of his Lord aloud and sings about His deeds and excellences, and sometimes dances like one inebriated and entirely oblivious of the external world.

The sky, air, fire, water, earth, celestial luminaries, living beings, quarters, trees, rivers, oceans - in fact all such features of Nature should be recognised as the body of the Lord and greeted with prostrations in a mood of intense devotion to Him.

The efficacy of the practice of the bhAgavata dharmA is wonderful. Just as to one eating, every ball of rice gives pleasure, strength of body, and freedom frmo hunger at the same time, so does a devotee, who has surrendered himself to the Lord, obtain simultaneously three things - intense devotion to the Lord, experiences of Him, and detachment from all objects of the world.

Thus, an aspirant who is engaged in the constant service of acyutA, comes to have devotion, detachment, and realisation of Him at the same time. Afterwards he attains to the Supreme Peace of mOkshA.

(kavi, one of the the nine nava yOgIs, XI, 2, 32-43)

[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Manikkavachagar says in Tiru Sadhakam, 7.3 : I pray to You, who even takes over the liar. I pray to Your golden feet.
O Master, I pray to You. I pray to You who is air, earth, water, fire and Akasam, and also the two shining objects, sun
and moon!   

போற்றியென் போலும் பொய்யர் தம்மைஆட் கொள்ளும் வள்ளல்
போற்றிநின் பாதம் போற்றி நாதனே போற்றி போற்றி
போற்றி நின் கருணை வெள்ளம் புதுமதுப் புவனம் நீர்தீக்
காற்றிய மானன் வானம் இருசுடர்க் கடவுளானே. 67

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
karmAs are ordained in the vEdas
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
karmAs are ordained in the vEdas

Ordained action, prohibited actions, and non-performance of ordained actions - what these are, has to be settled by vEdic authority only. They cannot be settled by any worldly means like custom, observation, or reasoning.

And, vEdA, being divinely inspired and not composed by any human agency, is difficult to understand even for great scholars. The words of the vEdA have often indirect and mystifying meaning. Just like the attractive speech of parents to persuade their children to take medicine, the vEdic sentences imply an indirect purpose, and not the heavenly felicities they seemingly offer. As a medicine is given to cure a disease, so the karmAs are ordained in the vEdas in order to free man from karmA and not to continue indulgence in them.

If an ignorant man of uncontrolled senses fail to perform the works prescribed by the vEda, he will be guilty of the sin of negligence of ordained duties and will go from death to death again and again, entangled in the trans-migratory cycle. If the vEdA-ordained karmAs are done non-attached and in a spirit of dedication to the Lord, karmA eventually will lead one to naishkarmya or the state of Atman-consciousness. The promise of worldly fecilities are only an incentive offered to the dull and the ignorant.

(Sage Avirhotra, XI, 3, 43-46)

Note: karmA ordained is universal. the dharmA is universal to all religions. Therefore, this injunctions has to be understood in the lines that a Christian adhere to his karmAs ordained in his scriptures (prayers, etc.) and a muslim adhere to his karmAs ordained in his scriptures (namAz, etc.)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:36:17 PM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
yamA and niyamA
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
yamA and niyamA

yamA and niyamA consist in the observance of the following disciplines, internal and external:
       yamA
  • non-injury
  • truth
  • non-covetousness,
  • non-attachment,
  • conscientiousness,
  • non-hoarding,
  • faith in the scriptures,
  • continence,
  • moderation in speech,
  • constancy,
  • forgiveness 
  • fearlessness
                    niyamA
  • Cleanliness,
  • purity of mind,
  • japA (repetation of holy names),
  • tapas (austerity),
  • hOmA, pujA,
  • shradDhA (sincere faith in matters spiritual),
  • hospitality,
  • worship of the Divine,
  • visiting holy places,
  • service of others,
  • contentment,
  • service of the teacher

Men who follow these disciplines attain to what they want, material or spiritual.

(srI kRushna to udDavA, XI, 19, 33-35)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:44:17 PM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
What is not attainable if He, the master of all gifts and boons, is pleased with one? But who cares for these boons - these insignificant attainments? To those who worship with intense and motiveless devotion, He reveals Himself of His own accord. There is no blessing higher than that. Except a beast of a man, who having discrimination and a true sense of life's values would desist from consuming the nectar of the Lord's doing, selected from ancient tradition, if he had but once drunk  a little of it with the cup of his ears and come to know of its delectableness?

(Sage maitrEyA, III, 13, 49-50)

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
nAradA's past

In my previous birth in an earlier kalpA (cycle of time) I was born as the son of a maid-servant in a community of vEdic ritualists. I was, therefore, from boyhood engaged in attending on yOgIs who gathered at the place for the chAturmAsyA (4 month retreat during rainy season) Those holy men, though even minded in their outlook, were mightily pleased with my services, especially seeing how I, thought a mere boy, was devoid of all fickleness and boyish playfulness, was disciplined and brief-spoke, and atteneded on them with dedication and understanding of their needs.

Permitted by these holy men, I once partook of the remnants of the food left by them Being purified in mind by this act, I developed a taste for the devotional life which these holy men followed. By their blessing I was able to hear every day their attractive recitals of kRushnA's life and actions. Hearing every syllable of those recitals with faith and attention, I developed the feeling of delight in the Lord, whose glories are charming to contemplate.

After I developed this delight in the Lord, my mind would never disengage itself from Him of endearing glory. In this mental state I experienced that the whole of the universe in its subtle as well as gross condition is generated y His power of mAyA in Himself, from whom my entity, the jIvA, too has no separate existence.

Listening continuously all through the spring and the rainy season, at the three sandhyAs of the day, to the recitals of the Lord's sanctifying glory by these holy men, there sprang up in me that powerful devotion which obliterates all traces of tamas and rajas.

When dispersing after the chAturmAsyA period, the kind-hearted and merciful holymen imparted to me the transcendent knowledge of the Supreme Divine (jnyAnam guhyatamam), whjich He himself had revelaed to them. For, though a boy, they found in me a fit recipient, as I was loving, humble, sinless, attentive, self-controlled and obedient.

By that knowledge I was enabled to obtain the grace of the mAyA of vAsudEvA, the omiscient and omnipotent Lord, by which the jIvA attains to His being.

(nAradA to Sage vyAsA, when vyAsA was discontent inspite of segregating the vEdAs, writing mahAbhAratA, etc.,)

(I, 5, 23-31)

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
State of the Awakened One
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
State of the Awakened One

Withdrawing attention from the false objective world, abandonment all ideas of enjoyment
 from any object of desire, and steeped in the bliss that is one's Self, the aspirant should
withdraw from all work and sit absolutely quiet. But the world of multiplicity rejected by him
will be experienced no and then owing to the strength of tendencies acquired in the past,
but it will not attract and involve him in any way, as he has lost the sense of reality for it.
The memory will persist but only as of a dream, all through life.

Such a man of realisation is not even aware of the body with the help of which he has
attained that state - whatever happens to it by the power of prArabdhA, whether it
comes or goes, sits or works - just as a heavily drunken man knows not whether his
wearing cloth is on or has fallen off. So long as the prArabdha-karmA that led to the
present embodiment lasts, the body will remain alive. But the knowing on who has
attained the state of samAdhi will view the body and the world connected with it only
as n awakened man views the body and experiences of his dream.

(Lord kRushnA to udDhavA)

(XI, 14, 35-37)

[