Author Topic: What is Sanatana Dharma really?  (Read 1622 times)

Hari

• View Profile
What is Sanatana Dharma really?
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
Every Hindu, Yogi or some mystics say "We are following Sanatana Dharma"? But what It really is? There is three main groups:

1. God is Supreme, man and the world are His (Her) creations and must serve Him (Her).

2. God, man and world are not different. They are one consciousness. And what must be achieved is eternal union with Godhead.

3. God is not different from you. You are God Him/Herself.

So what is Sanatana Dharma according to Hindus. I really cannot figure it out. Is there some Sacred Text which directly say what It is?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: What is Sanatana Dharma really?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
Dear ramana 1359,

Sanatana Dharma is ancient dharma - righteous codes for life.

This means:

one should live a righteous life before marriage, during brahmachari times. If a brahmin, he should have tuft of hair
and do gayatri three times including water abulations. Upon marriage, he should love his wife but beget children only
for progeny. No sex for pleasure. After completion of married life, that is, conducting weddings etc., for sons and daughters,
both man and wife should do exclusive meditation on God or Brahman. When they take up sannyasa, each one should live
separately i.e. wife in the house and man in the jungles and continue his self surrender or self inquiry and complete the life
while attaining godhead at the time of death.

For Jnanis, celibacy is there right from the beginning.

Other castes should also follow their own dharmas, a kshatriya, protecting the country etc.,

Arunachala Siva.,

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
They call It Eternal Religion or Eternal Truth. But the Truth of different Hindus is different. So how Sanatana Dharma can be "applied" to all Hindus. So far as what you mention about the different periods of life I don't think that there is many men and women who follow them.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
Dear ramana,

The caste system was started with a good purpose.
Division of labor. Hence different caste people cannot follow the same dharma. The king cannot spend all his time studying Vedas.
The trader class cannot spend his time in meditation all the time, since he has to attend to his trade. But if in trade, he is honest
making only a reasonable profit, not cheating people with substandard goods, that itself is his dharma. An agriculturist or labor
class should work for growing paddy, etc., Without him, the other three cannot get food. His job is to do the agriculture properly
and sell the produce to traders for a reasonable profit. The king should protect all the three classes and also his own kshatriya class.

All excepting the last one can chant gayatri and all the classes can go to temples for prayers.  There is unity in diversity.

Such differences are there in other religions too. In Moslem community, the women cannot even go to the mosque
In Christian religions, the bishops and jesuit fathers should not marry. Nuns should not marry. Not other Christians.

In Moselm community a man can marry four wives. Not among Hindus. Only one wife for one householder.

Catholics pray to Mary also apart from Jesus. Protestants do not pray to Mary.

The women in Moslem community can read Koran only at home and not in mosques.  There are no women  nuns in Moslem
community.

Hindus say to be tolerant to other members of other religions.  Moslem say - Convert them with a sword. There is no conversion
business in Hinduism.

So all religions are having many sub classifications and are not having a common code for all.

Arunachala Siva.       

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
very well explained subramaian garu.

ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
I don't know. I always have been trying to accept Dvaita system but I face some serious objections. If you believe that there is always many Gods and One of Them is Supreme then:
1. You cannot accept other's believes
2. You cannot be tolerant in your heart to them
3. You cannot love them because you see them as separate creatures
4. You even start hating them because they don't follow "your" God or don't love Him
5. You stick to the scriptures much more literally and sometimes you lose the meaning of them
6. You and I are different. Why should I help you? You don't follow my Lord.
and many many other problems

I live among christians. I know pastors. They are good people. They love God. Many of them had lost everything for the Lord. They help everybody. But they cannot accept other faiths and believes. They put a barrier to themselves and people with other understandings of life. They truly want all people to be happy but also want people to accept their faith. The same is with muslims and most of the hindus. So how can a dvaitin to follow Jesus', Mohammad's or Vedanta's teachings? How can dvaitin to follow Sanatana Dharma?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
If you look subtly, you are trying to accept your own understanding of dvaita system. Your rebelling with yourself. You are accepting and rejecting your own views and opinions.

At all times, we are only rebelling with our own understandings of various things.

Once we find out the one that tries to understand all things, all differences would get sorted out and would not exist!

back to source - who am I

doubts after doubts keep coming about, once the doubter is sought, all doubts disappear. The problem is the doubter! (Ramana Maharshi)

Salutations to Bhagavan

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya!

Dear ramana1359,

Sanatana Dharma  is the contribution of Bharatha desam  to the mankind. It is considered as the  perennial  dharma  and as stated by Sri. Srkudai, seems ever-fresh.  Systems  and procedures , rules and regulations may change with the age but the essence is valid through all the ages. But please don’t  identify it with the word Hinduism since Sanatana Dharma includes all, Christians, Muslims etc.. , all type of believers  and non-believers. 

Dvaita is there for the people in worldly affairs and even in worship which is applicable to Adviatins too.

The answers for you are in your questions itself. Ask Bhagavan these questions  and be ready to face HIS  Brahmastram – Who are you?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Dear ramana,

Dwaitam means dual. God and You are two different entities.  Are there really two?  If then, there are two, which
god you will pray? Is it Narayana, Siva, Muruga and Devi?  Then what is your Atma, that Power within, which keeps you
alive even during your sleep. Then there would be five Gods. So, what Sri Bhagavan said: See within.  Find out. And you
will find that when the mind/ego is killed, the real I-I dances within you. This is Aham. It is Atma. It is that. You are That.
Tat tvam asi.  You can give any name thereafter. Call that I-I as Siva, Narayana, Devi, Muruga or merely Atma, the formless
nameless one with out a second. But don/t try to look for It outside you. If you do so, it becomes dual.

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
Thank you Sri Swaroop, srkudai and Subramanian!