Author Topic: In what order shall I read the books of Maharishi?  (Read 1341 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
In what order shall I read the books of Maharishi?
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
Namaste to All,

I am happy I have found this Forum and I am thankful for being a member of it from now.

I have been to Arunachala once, those days were the best days of my life for sure. I long to go back and hope to manage it when Shiva calls me back again.

Since then I have been feeling an inner urge to go back to the "basics" and begin to read the books by Paul Brunton (I do hope I don't break the Forum rules by mentioning him, if yes, this part can be edited) and Ramana Maharshi.

But I don't know where to begin. In what order shall I read their books so that I can learn and benefit more from them?
Could you write an ordered list of their books/titles? Which is the first, second, etc?

I know some people may say, practice is what matters, but I really want to read all their books, too and so I am looking for an order in what they are better to be read.

Thank You for your insights and help.
Arunachalam,
Lisa

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: In what order shall I read the books of Maharishi?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Dear Kici108,

Welcome to Satsang  :)

I have always found the best course is to read the stories and incidents and experiences of direct devotees to begin with which gives the ambrosia of Bhagavan's grace which enables one to genuinely feel the grace of Bhagavan.

Cherished Memories by Kanakammal
At the feet of Bhagavan by TK Sundaresa Iyer
Day by Day with Bhagavan by Devaraja Mudaliyar
Talks with Bhagavan
and others...

When we have a fair idea of background of Bhagavan and his way of being and his way of guiding devotees, then it would be perfect to read the "Who am I" which would make some real sense.

However, there are no specific order, really! You could just pick any book and it would give the same ambrosia! It all depends on the person.

Reading Bhagavan's books itself is a Sadhana :)

Salutations to Bhagavan

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
Dear Kicsi108,

To begin with you read Who am I? preferably in Tamizh, the Question and Answer version.  There is also an essay version.
But you can read Q & A version. Read daily, understand the question and the answer given by Sri Bhagavan, thoughtfully.
This reading of Who am I? should be done slowly, everyday, as if you are reading for the first time. Continue reading this,
daily, even after you move to other works. I am reading this daily since 5 years.

Next, you read Sri Arunachala Aksharamana Maalai. This is a poem but very easy to understand in couplets.  This is full
of bhakti bhava with Jnana bhava mixed. Chant it daily. There is CD available for this also. It can be understood without
any book of meaning or commentary. In case you do not understand certain lines, refer to simple commentary by Sivaprakasam
Pillai, or English commentary of Arthur Osborne. Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam consists four other songs apart from Akshara
Mana Maalai., These also you can read, with or without meaning and commentary by others. 

Next you move to Upadesa Saram. This needs a suitable commentary. The commentaries are available in Tamizh and English.
You can refer to them.

Finally you can come to ULLadu Narpadu, which is the toughest of all. This, you should read first. Every verse. Without mistakes
of pronunciation. Then you should definitely need Tamizh or English commentary. These are available. The best Tamizh commentary
is by Lakshmana Sarma and English commentary by Arthur Osborne. Smt. T.R. Kanakammal has also written commentaries in
simple Tamizh for all the above works.  You should have your own copy of Kanakkamal's two volume commentary. 

Arunachala Siva.

vishnave

• View Profile
    • Om Tat Sat - Shrimad Bhagavad Gita
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
Namaste,

I you search an order you can buy :

Arunachala Ramana The Boundless Ocean of Grace ( 8 volumes set)

Every thing is included :

talk, day by day, letter, differents texts wrote by Ramana...

A must if your are fond for many anecdote from ramana.

By an order is not important : follow the list by Subramanian.R

Namaste

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Dear Kicksi108,

For reading the reminiscences of various devotees, no order need be followed. For other works, in terms of periods, Talks
with Sri Ramana Maharshi comes first. Then Day by Day and Letters of Suri Nagamma cover mostly the same period. Regarding
Sri Bhagavan's own works, the order which I had indicated may be followed.

Arunachala Siva,

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »
Namaste All,

Thank You very much for your answers.
I have just gathered the works by/about Sri Bhagavan I have here at home:

The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi
 - Self-enquiry
 - Who am I?
 - Spiritual Instruction
 - Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam
 - The Marital Garland of Letters
 - The Essence of Instruction
 - Reality in Forty Verses

Absolute Consciousness

Conscious Immortality

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, Volumes I & II

About Bhagavan:

The 108 Names of Sri Bhagavan
Day by Day with Bhagavan
Maharshi's Gospel
At the Feet of Bhagavan

Other works related to/referred to by Sri Bhagavan:

Ashtavakra Gita
The Ribhu Gita

So, this is my collection. I would like to set up an order of these works to read them.
Thank you for your help.

Arunachalam

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »
Dear Kicsi,

You can also collect Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, by Munagala Venkatramayya which is an essential prose work.  All the
ones listed by you along with this, will be more than adequate for you.

Arunachala Siva.