Author Topic: Gazing at Bhagavan's photograph as a sadhana  (Read 1808 times)

nobody

• View Profile
Gazing at Bhagavan's photograph as a sadhana
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
Dear friends,
Is gazing at Sri Bhagavan's photograph an effective sadhana?

Thanks

Anand

• View Profile
Re: Gazing at Bhagavan's photograph as a sadhana
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
Absolutely,
The very fact that you are asking this question means you have considered him(RAmana)  your Guru and he will obviously accept you .
You have fallen into the jaws  of the Tiger - so to speak.
Gazing at his photograph is invoking his grace .Bhagavan allowed photographs of his to be taken for a very specific meaning though he never said it openly.It(Seeing his photograph)  was his mode of initiation for  all his future disciples till eternity who could not see him in the flesh .
Regards,
Anand.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:03:30 AM »
Dear nobody and Anand,

Very much yes. Gazing at photograph of Sri Bhagavan is an effective Sadhana. To do so,
without submitting any request, without any other thought, in total silence -- is still a
better Sadhana. 

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
Thirumoolar sings:

theLivu guruvin thirumEni kANDal
theLivu guruvin thirunAmam ceppal
theLivu guruvin thiruvArththai kETTal
theLivu guruvuru cinthiththal thAnE.

Clarity is seeing the holy Body of Guru;
Clarity is saying the holy Name of Guru;
Clarity is listening to the holy Words of Guru;
Clarity is contemplating on the holy Form of Guru.

Salutations to Bhagavan

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Excellent quote. About Guru, Tirumoolar has composed many decads, about Guru,s Grace,
Guru's Power to change the disciple, the facets of genuine Guru, the characteristics of bogus
Gurus, Guru and Sivam, Sakti nipatam etc.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes. I agree with you. I said this in a different way in my reply to ramana, today, in
another post.

Arunachala Siva.

Astralman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
I love that someone thought to ask this question.
I came across a photo of Bhagavan tonight that I had never seen before. He was obviously in a high state when it was taken and knew what he was doing. I couldn't stop looking.
It is saved to my computer and I can't get over it. I even sent it to a friend who is even now visiting family in India.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
Dear Astralman,

All photographs of Sri Bhagavan are wonderful. They reflect your mood and emotions like a mirror.  If you are happy and peaceful,
you will find peace and happiness emanating from it. If you are sad and sulky, the same will be mirrored by the photo.  There are
many photographs of Sri Bhagavan which are really wonderful. I could list a few: 1) when He was a young boy with large nails uncut,
looking straight at the camera, with large black unkempt hair. It was taken sometime in 1900.  Just around the time when He wrote on
sand and slate the answers to Who am I? 2) The famous Welling Bust, a bust size photograph, two variations, one where head straight
and the other where it is tilted.  3) One with Mother Azhagammal sitting on a rock. 4) one regular sitting easy on the couch.

You can observe many wonderful things in His photographs. You can never see Him yawning, or picking His nose, or straightening His
hands. He never folds His palms to say Namaskaram to any one. He never shows His right palm as a blessing pose. In no photo His
eyes are closed. You can never see Him lying flat on His couch with back on the bed.

Arunachala Siva.         

Astralman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
There is nothing that soothes me and turns me within more than the photo of Mathru Sri Sarada sitting it a room with doors open behind her. It can be found on the website dedicated to her.
Such photos and the the photos of Bhagavan bring home and convey the reality of the Self.
David Godman mentions in an interview somewhere that those who realize the Self seem to undergo a bodily transformation and their skin seems to become creamy and they radiate a perceptible glow. At least, that is the impression I got it memory serves me well.
What shines through the photos of such beings is unbroken Joy without hinderance.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
Dear all,

Major Chadwick who was with Sri Bhagavan for many years till Sri Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana and later up to his own merger with
Sri Bhagavan, says:

1. Though Sri Bhagavan may be called a man of not very fair complexion, somewhat brown like a typical Asian, He shone like a
burnished gold statue sometimes.  This is seen only by mature sadhakas.

2. I myself have felt a light soothing fragrance from His body, though He never used any scented soaps.

All these are due to His High State.

Arunachala Siva,       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan Himself advised: Go from the Form to Formless.

Arunachala Siva.