Author Topic: Sadhana Tips  (Read 10992 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Sadhana Tips
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »
Duality is not at a contradiction with advaita.
Dear Sri Tushnim, I agree completely with You. To go beyond duality we dont need to be in quarel with it. I belive just oposite is the case. Also,it is true that we shouldnt be attached to any outside condition to realise Self. I believe that person who is among the world and out of the world can gain much in meditation,and become resistent on all sorts of things. I believe that many here are Bhagavan disciples,just cant accept Him yet. And we all should be honest and ask ourselfs why we chose some approach before the one who is superior. Maybe simply because is more comfortable. With love and prayers,
        Love

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Friends,
This is what Sri Ramakrishna says regarding spiritual practice in Solitude:

Advice to householders
MASTER: "It is difficult to lead the life of a householder in a spirit of detachment. Once Pratap said to me: 'Sir, we follow the example of King Janaka. He led the life of a
householder in a detached spirit. We shall follow him.'
I said to him: 'Can one be like King Janaka by merely wishing it? How many austerities he practised in order to acquire divine knowledge! He practised the most intense form of asceticism for many years and only then returned to the life of the world.'
"Is there, then, no hope for householders? Certainly there is. They must practise spiritual discipline in solitude for some days. Thus they will acquire knowledge and devotion. Then it will not hurt them to lead the life of the world. But when you practise discipline in solitude, keep yourself entirely away from your family. You must not allow your wife, son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, friends, or relatives near you. While thus practising discipline in solitude, you should think: 'I have no one else in the world. God is my all.'

You must also pray to Him, with tears in your eyes, for knowledge and devotion.

"If you ask me how long you should live in solitude away from your family, I should say that it would be good for you if you could spend even one day in such a manner. Three days at a time are still better. One may live in solitude for twelve days, a month, three months, or a year, according to one's convenience and ability. One hasn't much to fear if one leads the life of a householder after attaining knowledge and devotion".

"If you break a jack-fruit after rubbing your hands with oil, then its sticky milk will not smear your hands. While playing the game of hide-and-seek, you are safe if you but once
touch the 'granny'. Be turned into gold by touching the philosopher's stone. After that you may remain buried underground a thousand years; when you are taken out you will still be gold".

The Master is quite clear on what he advises and does not say something that has to be interpreted.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Duality is not at a contradiction with advaita! Duality nicely merges in Advaita! A true Advaitin is comfortable with duality as well as the nonduality in duality :)!!

Duality is not at a contradiction with advaita.
Dear Sri Tushnim, I agree completely with You. To go beyond duality we dont need to be in quarel with it.

True, So in that case, the advaitin would not have a problem with the following original quote, from which this discussion has sprouted -

The mind cannot dwell on God if it is immersed day and night in worldliness, in worldly duties and responsibilities; it is most necessary to go into solitude now and then and think of God. To fix the mind on God is very difficult, in the beginning, unless one practices meditation in solitude. - The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,
The mind cannot dwell on God if its immersed on wordliness.
The problem is Not in what Sri Ramakrishna said,but in That how we understand what he said! He didnt said that mind in world cannot realise God,but the mind immersed in wordliness. And thats the point of all spiritual practices,that we live,unles we wont to simple vegetate and die,and be dettached. Means inwardly. Our state of mind is important,and not what we do. And if we cannot rise our state beyond circoumstances,how will we progress in meditation. Thats the point of meditation,to change inner world,not outside. That approach of Ramakrishna,how You understand it,and Bhagavans,are for me,totaly contradictional.
        Love

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
The quote clearly states the need for going in solitude even as highlighted by you, for such ones who are immersed in worldliness would benefit by going to solitude. There was no need for debating over it! But Logic corrupts innocence!

Is it simply that people turn up at Ramanashram or Ramakrishna Math, don't the devotees themselves know these things? Bhagavan himself has said that Power cannot be denied.

When an opportunity strikes I bet each and every one here would love to go to that place that is close to ones heart, be it Ramanshram or Ramakrishna Math. Simply bringing in Advaitic logic and rational i felt is needless. This is why the Master also has said that reasoning beyond a point is not advised.

It was merely a Sadhana Tip, and to highly rationalise these things is a great impediment!

Had Ramana or Ramakrishna been alive today, how many would say and practice this advaitic jnyAna, and say, Ramana and Ramakrishna is within, there is no need to go Arunachala. I mean, we need not bring Advaita to practice. Advaita has to be within.

[

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
jewell,
"Our state of mind is important,and not what we do"

Every sincere seeker appreciates what you have said;yet what Sri Ramakrishna is saying is quite important.We cannot take our state of mind for granted.Everything will seem very fine and we may not be aware of what all weaknesses are lurking behind our seeming calmness and detachment.The Master always insisted on practising these things in outer life and Living.
M literally did this and he did not give up some of these practices even when he was eighty years old and was firmly established in God inwardly.
It is alright to say that one does not agree with Sri Ramakrishna and his teachings;that is quite understandable.Yet,one cannot say that Sri Ramakrishna meant some other thing when he had expressed himself in unequivocal fashion.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
It is alright to say that one does not agree with Sri Ramakrishna and his teachings;that is quite understandable.Yet,one cannot say that Sri Ramakrishna meant some other thing when he had expressed himself in unequivocal fashion.

I long to express the same.

[

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj, I said same thing. Someone can live in a cave and still be immersed in wordliness,like someone can live be in the world,and out of the world in same time. I agree that we need to go solitude,but when solitude comes,not when we chose to. Thats why i said we need to be honest to ourselfs. Is it something we chose a real and genuine compulsion,or just escapism. I dont wish to argue,i just wish to bring the point,which is,sure,my own seeing. You know for Yourself what is dear to You,which Guru. That is not my business. But,that was not the poing,but something much subtle. We are unwilling to surrend,that is. With love and prayers,
        Love

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
Sri Jewel,

I do not see any difference between Gurus.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
Friends,

When it rains, don't we use the umbrella? Doesn't the umbrella help us in not getting wet?

[

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, Sri Ramakrishna said simple,but what matters is to whom He said it also. I was quoting Sri Tushnim's sentence,which goes in hand with my own experience. Not thinking. I stand behind that with my own head! Can You stand behind solitude and renounication?
        Love

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Dear Sri Tushnim, I was quoting Your quote on Advaita,and that was,indeed all what i wanted to convey. And i am not arogant,but stand behind my sayings. How will someone interpret that is not my buisiness. Thank You for wishing me luck! :)
        Love

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
Jewell/Friends,
Sri Ramakrishna has said to practically all householders.M literally practised this and I do not consider anyone here who is 'employed' and supporting himself as not a Householder!
This is what M said to Paul Brunton who met him in 1932  after nearly 46 years of Sri Ramakrishna's passing away.I have posted this in Rough Note-Book thread,Pages 9 & 10:
" One day the master said to me:
'" I can see from the signs of your eyes, brow and face that you are a Yogi. Do all your work then, but keep your mind on
God. Wife, children, father and mother, live with all and serve them as if they are your own. The tortoise swims about
in the waters of the lake, but her mind is fixed to where her eggs are laid on the banks. So, do all the work of the world
but keep the mind in God
.'

And so, after the passing away of our master, when most of the other disciples voluntarily renounced the world, adopted
the yellow robe, and trained themselves to spread Ramakrishna's message through India, I did not give up my profession
but carried on with my work in education. Nevertheless, such was my determination not to be of the world although
I was in it, that on some nights I would retire at dead of night to the open veranda before the Senate House and sleep among
the homeless beggars of the city, who usually collected there to spend the night
. This used to make me feel, temporarily at
least, that I was a man with no possessions."

I have quoted this,so that we take the original advice from Sri Ramakrishna that Nagaraj has quoted in the proper spirit and carry it out as much of it.No need to rationalize what he said.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
Friends,
Just read what Sri Ramakrishna has said regarding King Janaka and how people consider themselves as Detached and Free from worldliness!He is just saying that one may practise living in solitude even for a day ,a few days,a week ,a month or a year as is convenient and doable.Just take a calm look at what he has said and see if one is inspired to do it.It is not enough to just physically isolate oneself but it is also necessary that one should use that time in intensifying sadhana.This suggestion has to be Practised and seen;without doing so,just rationalizing about it will only leave us confirmed in what we already believe or think we are.
After considering it,if one does not feel inspired by this,one may just leave it.Why argue that others also do not need it?
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
I have never done sAdhanA in a city, or even visited one, so I can't give you an expert opinion on this. People tell me that the air in cities is very polluted, that there is a lot of noise, and that the spiritual vibrations are very bad. If you have a choice it is better to do sAdhanA near a Guru or in a sacred place where the vibrations are good. If this is not possible, a place in the country will be better than a place in the city.

Wherever you live, try to avoid associating with worldly people, that is, people who are not doing sAdhanA. try to find someone who is established in the Self and spend time in his or her company. If you cannot have satsang of the formless Self, this is the next best thing. If you are sincere, Bhagavan will arrange all the circumstances of your life in a favourable way. he will put you in a place where you can make the most progress.

Living by the words of Bhagavan

[