Author Topic: Regarding Bhagavan's sister smt. Alamelu  (Read 1824 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Regarding Bhagavan's sister smt. Alamelu
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »
I request any devotees to shed some light into the life of Smt. Alamelu. I never came across any bit about Bhagavan's sister. We come across of so many devotees who came and talked to Sri Bhagavan so much. But no where I have read anything about Smt. Alamelu. I wish to know more about Bhaghavan's little sister. I have always known her as a "Silent and mature soft lady"

Also, if any devotee is aware of some conversations of Swami Niranjanananda with Sri Bhagavan apart from Ashramam duties, etc... some personal exchanges, please shed some light into the life of Swami Niranjanananda as well.

Thanks in advance.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
Re: Regarding Bhagavan's sister smt. Alamelu
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
Dear Nagraj garu,

Some information about Bhagavan Ramana's younger brother, Niranjananda Swami is available in Ramana Leela Book and i pasted some imporant points from the book in my blog.

http://prashantaboutindia.blogspot.com/2009/12/bhagavan-ramanas-younger-brother.html

Regarding Smt. Alamelu garu i know that she did not beget children and hence Niranjananda Swami's only son (Venkataraman)  was adapted by their couple while Niranjananda Swami took sanyasa after call from her mother and after her wife was expired.

I think on the whole Alamelu garu though devotional lead a proper gruhasta life and when ever time permitted she used to visit bhagavan.

Alagammal’s only desire was to be with Ramana at the moment of her death. When her daughter Alamelu invited her to the ceremony to open her new house, she declined, fearing that she would be unable to return to her son if she became sick there. She said to Ramana, “Even if you were to throw away my dead body in these thorny bushes I do not mind but I must end this life in your arms.”

Smt Alamelu came to be known as 'aunt' by all the ashramites. She was usually quiet, non-interfering and sweet-tempered. She had a profound devotion for Bhagavan and when he was ill pleaded with him with tears in her eyes that he should cure himself. Bhagavan said to her: "Don't be sorry, my dear. What is to happen will happen. You leave your cares to me and be peaceful."

It seems her husband Pitchu Iyer was able to build a house in a locality called Ramana Nagar. He had generous help from Bhagavan's devotees to build the house.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
Nagaraj,

I agree with you. Even to me she has always seemed to be like the silent, discreet, patient person who just went about her own business and never attracted attention to herself. Sh. T.N Venakataraman, former sarvadhikari of the ashram says:

'Each time ashram brought out a new tamil book, bhagavan would write 'Alamelu' on the first page in his own print-like handwriting and later he would call alamelu when she was present in the old hall amidst other devotees and visitors and lovingly give her the copy.Many such books with Alamelu's name written in them by bhagavan are with me.

The sashtibda of my uncle sh.pichu iyer was celebrated in the ashram itself on 6.3.47. The maharani of baroda came in person to present a costly saree spun with golden thread to my aunt. It was a 'Tissue' saree six yards in length whereas aunt wore the traditional nine yards in length.

It was the maharani's wish and command that aunt should wear the saree on that occassion.Aunt, however was in a fix for she was utterly unused to wearing a non-traditional dress. The news was brought to the notice to bhagavan. Bhagavan sent for his sister and told her "Alamelu, the maharani is so keen to see in this dress. Why not wear this over your own traditional saree"? What a facile denouement to a knotty problem.

When alamelu aunt came to bhagavan dressed int eh gorgeous saree, to prostrate before him, he said "first do namaskaram to mother and then come to me". He was referring to mother's shrine. very lovely rose garlands had been brougt for the occassion. Rose garlands were not easily available at tiruvannamalai in those days. Aunt alamelu deeming it improper for her and her husband to wear them, before seeing a rose garland around bhagavan's neck, took one to him. Once again bhagavan told her in a very loving tone "why not offer it to mother?" How deep was bhagavan's love for his mother and his sister!

Uncle pichu iyer was a gourmet, to be more exact a gourmand. he had a sturdy body but never cared to keep the body and dress clean. He would enter the dining hall in unwashed clothes and would eat with normous appetite. At the end of the meal he would breeze into the pantry, pick up some vadais, bundle them up in his dirty towel  and go away. All this hardly pleased niranjananda swamy who was a stickler for discipline. He wsaw to it that the pantry was locked and the vadais were put of pichu iyer's reach. The old ladies in charge were under orders not to open the pantry to pichu iyer.

One old lady however gave bhagavan a hint of the situation. The next time niranjananda swami was in bhagavan's presence, he told him "Do you know who pichu iyer is? Our sister's husband, our brother-in-law! He has equal rights here! This did the supreme sage instruct his asctic brother in family etiquette.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:02 AM »
How suddenly, the lives of Sri Bhagavan's relatives changed after his realisation. Would Mother Azhagammal, younger brother Nagasundaram, younger sister Alamelu have ever dreamt about what was in store for them?  and at the same time How much they would have wanted to be much closer to Sri Bhagavan, talk with Him, play with Him, being Bhagavan's own siblings.

Thanks so much Prashant, I found sufficient information regarding Swami Niranjanananda. You blog sites put together is a mini encyclopedia on Sri Bhagavan I should say. Very nice visiting your blog.

Many Thanks Lakshmi. Your aricle was heart  brimming to read. Smt. Alamelu was 'the darling' younger sister to Sri Bhagavan.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »
thanks a lot Lakshmi garu for this information regarding Smt Alamelu garu.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:58 AM »
Dear Lakshmi ji,

Are you related to Pitch Iyer? Anyway thanks for giving details of Bhagavan's relatives.

Ramanaduli

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
Ramanaduliji,

How i wish i was related to a relative of bhagavan! Nope. I am not related to pichu iyer. I took all this information from the memoirs of sh.T.N Venkataraman titled 'In the service of sri bhagavan'. Its a beautiful book and really goes through every small little detail of  sh.venkataraman's childhood to his travails regarding the ashram's inheritence. Sh. T.N Venkataraman has toiled and literally shed tears for the ashram. If today we have a beautiful scenic, calm and serene place to run back to, then one has to clearly read through the troubles, the storm and the times of uncertainty the ashram went through. It has not been easy.

Pranams to sh.t.n venkataraman who had dedicated his entire life and did yomen service to the ashram. His wife smt.nagalakshmi was like 'athai' [smt. alamelu] unassuming and quiet in her ways but was like a mother to everyone in the ashram.

Ramanarpamastu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »

Dear all,

Smt. Alamelu and her husband Pichu Iyer were one of the early
settlers in Sri Ramana Nagar in Tiruvannamalai.  Sri T.N. Venkataraman's book gives some details about the couple.  The
lady was called Athai Alamelu (Aunt Alamelu) by devotees, since Bhagavan Ramana are their Father.

I have seen Athai Alamelu's photograph in one of the 8 volumes
of Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace.  She is wearing
a typical sari in madisar fashion, as worn by Iyers' wives in Tamizh
Nadu.  In another incident which I have read, Athai Alamelu had
prepared Tiruchuzhi Dosas for a few devotees when they were living with Bhagavan Ramana, during the days after Mother Azhagammal's Videha Mukti.

About Chinnaswami or Saravdikari, there is a Tamizh book [Asramam Publication] titled Maasila Anandar, the flawless Anandar. This book gives details about Sarvadhikari's long years
of devoted service to Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva.