Author Topic: Last moments... Swami Satyananda  (Read 937 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Last moments... Swami Satyananda
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
I was born in 1916 in Kerala. My mother being of pious disposition used to serve sadhus and help them in various ways. Her piety made me turn to spiritual path when I was only eighteen. Once I went on a pilgrimage to Rameshwaram in the company of some sadhus. On the way, we stayed at a math managed by one Narayanaswami. He spoke to me of the greatness of Bhagavan and gave me the address of the Ashram on a piece of paper.

From Rameshwaram I went to Tiruvannamalai. When we arrived Bhagavan was sitting in the hall alone. He looked at us and smiled. I can never forget that smile. I spent seven years at the Ashramam, begging my food in town. I then obtained, by Bhagavan's grace, the good fortune of serving him as his personal attendant.

On the evening of April 14, 1950, we were massaging Bhagavan's body. At about 5 p.m. he asked us to help him sit up. Precisely at that moment devotees started singing 'Arunachala Siva.' When Bhagavan heard the singing, his face lit up with radiant joy. Tears began to flow from his eyes and continued to flow for a long time. I was wiping them from time to time. I was also giving him spoonfuls of water boiled with ginger. Bhagavan's breathing became gradually slower and slower and at 8.47 p.m. subsided quietly. There was no struggle, no spasm, none of the signs of death. At that very moment, devotees who were outside saw a bright meteor in the sky, which reached the summit of the holy hill Arunachala and disappeared high in the sky.

Swami Satyananda was a personal attendant of Sri Bhagavan from 1946 till Bhagavan's Mahanirvana in April 1950.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Last moments... Swami Satyananda
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »

About Mahanirvana of Bhagavan Ramana, there is a small pocket book where Arthur Osborne and Viswanatha Swami have given a
heart melting, picturesque account.  Dr. Karamchandani and his wife were one of the last persons who were seeing Bhagavan at close quarters, apart from attendants.  Smt Karamachandani specially brought orange juice and she felt that if Bhagavan Ramana could take a little of it, she would be blessed.  She offered and without hesitation, Bhagavan Ramana took it.

Prof. G.V. Subbaramiah asked Him, [perhaps not on the last day but  on one of the last days]:  Is there hope?  Bhagavan Ramana replied, "Yes, there is hope, there is hope!

Yes, for all of us, this Hope, the Cape of Good Hope, makes us
adhere to His  teachings and life.

Verse 69 of Sri AAMM says:-

Poo maNa maa manam poorana maNam koLap
Poorana maNam aruL Arunachala!

My mind now smells of the world.  Wed me, O Arunachala, so that it may be fragrant with infinitude!

[Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan]

Arunachala Siva.