Author Topic: A Moulvi's Visit  (Read 1165 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
A Moulvi's Visit
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:16:40 AM »
We were sitting one morning in the hall in deep meditation. Suddenly there was the sound of the tap-tap of a sick. A tall blind Muslim was trying to find the entry to the hall with his stick. I helped him to come inside. He asked me in Urdu where Bhagavam was sitting. U made him sit right in front of Bhagavan and told him, "You are now sitting just in fron tof Bhagavan. You can salute him." The Muslim told his story. He lived near Peshawar and he was a moulvi (teacher) of repute. nce he so happened to hear somebody reading in Urdu about Bhagavan and at once he felt that Bhagavan was his spiritual father and that he must go to him. Blind as he was, he took the next train and travelled thousands of miles all alone, changing trains many times, till at last he reahed Ramanashramam. When asked what he was going to do next, he said. "Whatever Bhagavan tells me, I shall do." His immense faith made me ashamed of myself. How little did the man hesitatee to place his life in the hands of a south Indian swami. And what a mountain oof doubts and hesitations I had to wade though before I came to Bhagavan's feet in earnest!

- Chalam

After reading this, i felt very humbled and very small. Here is a man, a blind man who has travelled thousands of kilometers all alone to have a darshan of a Guru. Persons like this cause to create a dent on my(our) ego. How very small we look someimes. Some people make all our troubles look so small and inconsequential and so very small, which we see as huge as himalayas.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: A Moulvi's Visit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »

I do not remember whether it is the same Muslim boy or someone
else, when they asked him whether he wanted any other book apart
from Who am I?, he had said:  No.  This is enough!

David Godman says that Who am I? alone is sufficient for a sincere
sadhaka.  No other spiritual scriptures are necessary. 

Bhagavan Ramana also says in Who am I?: When the final conclusion of all the books is mano-nigraha, what is the use of reading books endlessly?       

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »

The following is the conversation in Sri Aruna Vijayam Nootrandu
Malar [Tamizh Advent Souvenir, 1996] 1996:-

Question:  In not nama-japa helpful to attain Jnana?

Bhagavan:  Yes.

Question:  Is not nishkama karma yoga also helpful?

Bhagavan:  That is also helpful.

Question:  What is the relationship between name and form?
Can one does not have faith in nama-japa perform atma vichara?

Bhagavan:  They are not different in any way.  This is the relationship.  Name itself is form and form itself is name.  Through nama-japa, the person who owns the name is reached. If a person
does not have faith in the name of any of the gods, but only a longing to know himself, he can inquire into the word "I".
For the thinking mind that is intent upon inquiring into the Self, "I" is like a name.  At this stage of practice, self-inquiry is the thinking of a name or a japa.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

Dear srkudai,

Yes. I fully agree. 

Muruganar says in Verse 732 in GVK:-

Be aware that the two paths of Jnana and bhakti are inseparably
related.  Therefore, without separating one from then other through
the delusion, that they are different, practice both simultaneously
and harmoniously in your heart.

Again in Verse 733, Muruganar says:-

If a person, desiring of Siva's grace, investigates who is the one
who takes refuge in him, the unshakable support, then the ego
[anava] will perish and become Sivam, the firmament of Grace.
After the ego has died, having become a prey to Sivam, that firmament of Grace, there will be no connection with any of the defilements [malas].

Bhagavan Ramana says in Sri AAMM, Verse 102:-

The moment I thought of you as Arunachala, you caught me
in the noose of Grace.  Can the net of your Grace, ever fail to
catch and hold its prey, O Arunachala?

Arunachala Siva.