Author Topic: Micheal James Gives Real Meaning Of Christ Saying 'i Am The Way'  (Read 1033 times)

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
Throughout the history of Christianity, most ordinary Christians have believed that true salvation can only be attained through the person of Jesus Christ,and that atheists, agnostics and the followers of other religions can be saved only by converting to Christianity. They have justified this unreasonable and arrogant belief by their dualistic interpretation of Christ’s saying, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14.6).

Because of their dualistic understanding of his spiritual teachings, they interpret the words ‘I am’ and ‘me’ that he used in this passage to denote only the individual person Jesus Christ, who was born at a certain time in a certain place called Bethlehem.

However, Christ did not mistake himself to be merely an individual person whose life was limited within a certain range of time and place. He knew himself to be the real and eternal spirit ‘I am’, which is unlimited by time and place. That is why he said,“Before Abraham was born, I am” (John 8.58).

The person who was Jesus Christ was born long after the time of Abraham, but the spirit which is Jesus Christ exists always and everywhere, transcending the limits of time and place. Because that spirit is timeless, he did not say, “Before Abraham was born, I was”, but, “Before Abraham was born, I am”.

That timeless spirit ‘I am’, which Christ thus knew to be his own real self, is the same ‘I am’ that God revealed to be his real self when he said to Moses, “I AM THAT I AM” (Exodus 3.14). Therefore,though Christ appears to us to be a separate individual person, he and his Father God are in fact one and the same reality, the spirit that exists within each one of us as our fundamental consciousness ‘I am’. That is why he said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10.30).

Therefore, when Christ said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14.6), by the words ‘I am’ and ‘me’ he was referring not merely to the time-bound individual called Jesus, but to the eternal spirit ‘I am’, which he knew to be his own real self. The inner meaning of his words can therefore be expressed by rephrasing them thus, “The spirit ‘I am’ is the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the spirit ‘I am’,which is the Father or source of all things, but by this same spirit”.

Source: Happiness and The Art of Being By Micheal James
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Micheal James Gives Real Meaning Of Christ Saying 'i Am The Way'
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »

Yes.

Michael James further writes, as to why this is happening:

All the disharmony, conflict and strife that exist between one
religion and another arise only because most of the followers
of those religions are too attached to a dualistic view of reality,
which limits their vision and prevents them from seeing what all
religions have in common, namely the underlying truth of non-
duality.  Therefore true peace and harmony would prevail among
the adherents of the various religions only if they were all willing to look beyond the external forms of those religions and see the simple and common truth of non-duality that lies at the heart of all of them.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Verses 4 and 5 of Sri Arunachala Ashtakam:

Verse #4

To search for God ignoring You who stand as Being and shine
as Awareness is like looking, lamp in hand, for the darkness.
In order to reveal Yourself at last as Being and Awareness,
You dwell in various forms in all religions.  If still there are
people who fail to see You whose Being is Awareness, they
are no better than the blind who do not know the Sun. O mighty mountain Aruna, peerless jewel, stand and shine, One without a second, the Self within my Heart.

Verse #5

Like the string that holds together the gems, in a necklace, You it is that penetrate and bind all beings and the various religions.  If, like a gem, that is cut and polished, the separate mind is whetted on the grindstone of the pure, universal Mind, it will acquire
the light of Your Grace and shine like a Ruby whose brightness
is not flawed by any other object.  When once the light of the Sun
has fallen on a sensitive plate, will the plate register another picture?  Apart from You, O Aruna Hill, bright, auspicious, does any other thing exist?

Bhagavan Ramana never approved conversion from Christianity or any other religion to Hinduism [when devotees had asked that],
and said Atma is common to all.

Arunachala Siva.   

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
Re: Micheal James Gives Real Meaning Of Christ Saying 'i Am The Way'
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »
well said Subramanian garu.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము