Author Topic: Strange Incident Happened For Muruganar's First Visit to Ramana  (Read 4102 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Strange Incident Happened For Muruganar's First Visit to Ramana
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
Reading the post regarding hallucinogens. I remembered Appayya Dikshitar who was a great yogi. My uncle had told this to me some years back.

One may call himself a Siva Bhakta but should not Lord Siva accept him as His Bhakta? Does not the real glory lie in Siva accepting him as His Bhakta? One may claim to be a Bhakta or the whole world might declare so but if the Lord does not accept it, the Bhakti goes in vain. Let the whole world be indifferent to him or abuse or ignore him, but if the Lord accepts him then he is, indeed, the fortunate, the blessed. The world accepting or rejecting you is irrelevant. God should accept you. Many people lead a religious/spiritual life not for the sake of the Lord but for earning the appreciation of the world. We should test
ourselves to know if we really possess Bhakti deep within us.

You must have all heard of the flower Oomattham-poo. The name is actually 'unmattham-poo' . In Sanskrit 'unmattham' means madness. It is said that
by eating the unripe fruit of this tree one turns insane. Appayya Deekshitar, who had decided to test the genuineness of his Bhakti, called his disciples and said to them, 'I am going to grind the unripe fruit of this tree and eat. I would turn insane. Note down all that I blabber in that state. Then, get the help of a doctor to cure me. Once I regain my sense of balance I wish to know what I had blabbered in this state of insanity.'

Appayya Deekshitar ate the unripe fruit of this tree and he became insane. The disciples wrote down all that he uttered in that state of insanity. He was then cured of this state through medicines. He regained his sense of balance. It was found that in that state of insanity he had written wonderful stotras on Lord Siva! Appayya Deekshitar had written many stotras earlier. The play of words in these stotras is simply fascinating. The most surprising fact was that the stotra that came out of him in his state of insanity was unique! It was much more wonderful that those composed earlier, in his normal state.It was only after this 'Atma pariksha' did he feel joyful. He was pleased that he had come out successfully in this 'Atma pariksha'. This incident of ‘Atma pariksha’ of Appayya Deekshitar took place in the precincts of Lord Siva Temple inside the Chennai I.I.T. campus. Thus, Chennai is a great Kshetra.

I had a unique opportunity to look at this place myself at IIT, one of my uncle was a professor here. There is also one very very old, Shiva temple, which had been  submerged in water for many years, and after its "Punar Nirmaanam" re-installation, it was named "Jalakanteshwara" installed by Shankaracharya.

Even this day, you find deers, roaming around the campus. It is said that Deers reside only in those places where great sages were or are present. Deers are said to be very sensitive animals and they are most satvic animals.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
The most popular verses that he wrote during the period of intoxication is "Unmatta Panchadasi", it is also known as "Aatma Samarpanam"

[

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
This incident of ‘Atma pariksha’ of Appayya Deekshitar took place in the precincts of Lord Siva Temple inside the Chennai I.I.T. campus. Thus, Chennai is a great Kshetra.

Dear Nagraj garu,

Potti Sreeramulu fasted in the heart of Madras (Chennai) city for over 58 days for an Andhra state with Madras as the capital. He described "Andhra without Madras as a dead body without a head.

But finally by prarabdha tirupati came to A.P and chennai went to Tamil Nadu.

Observing Potti Sreeramulu's commitment, Mahatma Gandhi once remarked, "We can achieve independence within a year if there were another ten people as committed and dedicated as Potti Sreeramulu."
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
Dear I,

I always wondered why India had to be divided based on languages. There are so many places that still carry the names of Andhra. It would have been great if division had not happened at all. Tiruchirapalli is one example.

Its like, people and languages which were in unity are made to be diversified unnecessarily. Bharathiar the Maha Kavi praises Telugu as Sundara Telugu. Tamizh and Telugu have shared the best marital life in the past, how beautifully, they have co existed for centuries untill our politicians came into picture.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:38:21 AM by Nagaraj »

[

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
well said Nagaraj garu.

Britishers have achieved what they want "Divide and Rule" and thanks to some indian politicians also at the time of independence we are finally divided based on language etc...

Somehow i feel india is like europe where though we seems to be united as a single country but still internally we have feeling that their language/state is best.

Thanks to sages like guru ramana who again is uniting us all with his grace.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »

Appayya Dikshitar was not habitually taking any drug.  He only
wanted to test whether even if he takes the "oomatham poo", which drives one to madness, he could remember Siva.  So he told the disciples to make a paste of "oomatham poo"  and give it to him,
and watch how he behaved. Accordingly it was done. But his mind
was not affected at all and he chanted the famous Unmatha
Panchasat. 

A similar incident happened in the life of Padmapada [Sri Sankara's disciple] also.  His uncle who was a Sri Vaishnavite, in Sri Rangam,
saw his advaitic works and became jealous of him.  He not only burnt the house when he was staying, and all the books were lost in fire. The uncle also gave him in the food some poisonous herbs mixed.  Padmapada became somewhat mad and started laughing and crying alternately.  The other disciple brought him back to Sri Sailam where Sri Sankara was staying at that time.  There he cried before Sri Sankara and told about his predicament. Sri Sankara gazed at him intently for some minutes and soon Padmapada's mind became clear.  Then he wrote a famous book.  [I do not remember the name of the book right now.]. Sri Sankara also helped him to re-write all those books which were burnt in Sri Rangam house.

Arunachala Siva.

Arunachala Siva. 

sonagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »
I think it was Annamalai Swami who told the story that the ganja-taking sadhus used to meet at the Draupadi Shrine that is just to the west of Palakottu. In the 1920s they would go to Bhagavan and say, 'We are going for Draupadi darshan,' and everyone, including Bhagavan would know what they were up to. Muruganar's first visit (1923) was during this period.