Author Topic: These days that year... 1896  (Read 2647 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
These days that year... 1896
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »
it was in 1896, about 6 weeks before I left Madurai for good (to go to Tiruvannamalai - Arunachala) that this great change in my life took place. I was sitting alone in a room on the first floor of my uncle's house. I seldom had any sickness and on that day there was nothing wrong with my health, but a sudden violent fear of death overtook me. There was nothing in my state of health to account for it nor was there any urge in me to find out whether there was any account for the fear. I just felt I was going to die and began thinking what to do about it. It did not occur to me to consult a doctor or any elders or friends. I felt I had to solve the problem myself then and there. The shock of the fear of death drove my mind inwards and I said to myself mentally, without actually framing the words: 'Now death has come; what does it mean? What is it that is dying? This body dies.' And at once I dramatised the occurrence of death. I lay with my limbs stretched out still as though rigor mortis has set in, and imitated a corpse so as to give greater reality to the enquiry. I held my breath and kept my lips tightly closed so that no sound could escape, and that neither the word 'I' nor any word could be uttered. 'Well then,' I said to myself, 'this body is dead. It will be carried stiff to the burning ground and there burn and reduced to ashes. But with the death of the body, am I dead? Is the body I? It is silent and inert, but I feel the full force of my personality and even the voice of I within me, apart from it. So I am the Spirit transcending the body. The body dies but the spirit transcending it cannot be touched by death. That means I am the deathless Spirit.' All this was not dull thought; it flashed through me vividly as living truths which I perceived directly almost without thought process. I was something real, the only real thing about my present state, and all the conscious activity connected with the body was centered on that I. From that moment onwards, the "I" or Self focused attention on itself by a powerful fascination. Fear of death vanished once and for all. The ego was lost in the flood of Self-awareness. Absorption in the Self continued unbroken from that time. Other thought might come and go like the various notes of music, but the I continued like the fundamental sruti note ["that which is heard" i.e. the Vedas and Upanishads] a note which underlies and blends with all other notes."

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:42:33 PM by Nagaraj »

“You cannot travel the path until
you have become the path itself”
[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: These days that year... 1896
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. It was a momentous day in His Life.  It is 10th July 1896,
says Smt. Gayatri Dev Vasudev, the eminent astrologist from
Bangalore, the niece of Sri. B.V. Raman.  The whole 'experience'
was attained in about 15 minutes.  When asked in later years,
Bhagavan Ramana said: Where was the time, there?  Perhaps
the preliminaries, like tightening the limbs, closing the mouth
without allowing the breath to escape etc., must have taken some
minutes.

Then there was that momentous day of travelling to reach His
Father.  It was a Saturday.  The elder brother on seeing His condition, when He was with closed eyes, in the upstairs of the
house in Chokka Natha Street, Madurai, said:  If for such a fellow, why all these? [meaning, reading, passing the exam etc.,].  Yes. That was the final good bye indicating His urgency to go away.
A few lies were needed.  He said that there was a special class
on Electricity [of all the subjects!].  Anna said: "While going to
your school, for the special class, pay my college fees also!"
His aunt gave Him food. He took the money. Wrote the mysterious letter.  And then rushed to the Madurai Railway Station.

After all the turmoils, He reached Tiruvannamalai on 1st Sept.
1896.  It was 11 am.  He went into the Temple, hugged Arunachaleswara and then came out.  The Great Journey, a journey without moving, had begun.  It was His Arunai Vijayam.

I went to this house [upstairs] in Chokka Natha Street, near
the Western Towers of Meenakshi Temple in Madurai, in Feb
2009.  I sat for some minutes in the ground floor and with great
nervousness, went to the upstairs where this transformation had
happened for Bhagavan Ramana. I sat again for a few minutes.
Nothing could be done.  No prayers, no petitions. Cry, Cry, till
my heart drained out the dirt.....     

I wish I am in T'malai for Arunai Vijayam Day, this September.  It is all in Bhagavan Ramana's hands.  During my past visits, I had
never been on that day.

My Arunachala, You have driven out of me the evil spirit of worldliness and possessed me so that I can never shake you off,
and have made me indifferent to the world.  [ I have left the craziness for the world, but you have made crazy after you.]

- Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai Verse 71.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
Dear I,

even now as i read your post, i went back to my visit to Madurai, Chokka Nayiakar street, I remained speechless, to be in 'the' place, it was very cautious steps that i took, upwards in those holy steps. I couldn't believe myself, where am I? words cant express further.... I just couldn't make it to Thiruchuzhi...

I too wish prayerfully, to be present there on that momentous day of september first, i am very happy that in a very small way i share my birthday on my beloved gurus' arrival to His Home - Arunachala.

Stop deceiving me, testing and proving me, O Arunachala
and henceforward reveal to me instead, your form of light. (32)

Salutations to Sri Bhagavan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 03:09:57 PM by Nagaraj »

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
(Original manuscript as written by Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi in His own handwriting)

I have set out in quest of my Father in accordance with his command. This (meaning his person) has only embarked on a virtuous enterprise. Therefore, no one need grieve over this act. And no money need be spent in search of this. Your college fee has not been paid. Herewith rupees two."

[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

I have seen this handwriting, a print copy, that appeared in Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace.  See the
handwriting.  It is not a 16 year old boy's handwriting.  You
can see the maturity in that handwriting.  Of course, there
appears a 'speed' in that handwriting.  To go away quickly, without
wasting time.

Bhagavan Ramana's handwriting is like printed letters.  There is
a facsimile edition of some of His works printed by the Asramam.
You can see there, steady, but forthright handwriting there. All
manuscripts like printed letters that we see today.  Achu kortharpol, they say in Tamizh. Like print blocks are arranged...

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »
Dear I,

Yes, your observation is so true, there seems to have been a sense of urgency, quickly writing and begin His journey. Infact, in the Asramamam, we have one book published called "The works of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi in His own handwriting" this conmtains allmost all works that we have read in several books, right from Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai, to Aatma Bodham in tamizh, Vedanta Saaram to songs like Appala Paattu, etc... His handwriting is like a Print published, I seldom came across any scratches in His writing and especially in the multiple edition of Arunachala's Raman, Boundless ocean of Grace, there are several pictures of Bhagavan's own hand writing.

a sample of Sri Bhagavans' handwriting from this book is given below (picked from Sri David Godman's website)

Bhagavan was a great artist too and the detailing in his drawing shows how observant He is, This is not a drawing of a novice. His has drawn the Holy Hill, that appears in most of the books -

[

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
nice article nagraj garu.

I have been to arunachalam once in dec 2009 and bhagavan willing want to visit again.

Glad that your birthday falls on Sep 1st sir.Its really very nice coincidence.
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
Dear I,

I have been to arunachalam once in dec 2009 and bhagavan willing want to visit again.

Its everybody's deep desire to be at ones home, its like being in a mother's womb to be in Ramanashramam. He will definitely pull us at the right time for sure.  :)

I had to make a small correction from myprevious post. I had mentioned that in the multiple edition of Arunachala's Raman, Boundless ocean of Grace, there are several  pictures of Bhagavan's handwriting, infact there are few captions of Bhagavan, not many, there are many rare pictures though.

[

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. I have also got this book where Bhagavan Ramana's handwriting is seen with His writings of various poems.  It
is a pleasure to see and read this book, though I do it occasionally.
In Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, there are,
as you said, many photographs and a few facsimile prints of His
writings. 

Bhagavan Ramana has also made a lot of corrections in the proof-
copies of various books. One such page is available in page xxv
of David Godman's Guru Vachaka Kovai.

The drawing of the Hill by Bhagavan Ramana is wonderful.  I uses
to verify this very my small copy of Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam, back wrapper whenever, I see the Hill in Graham's
Webcam.  The two line poem has been written in Bhagavan's
own handwriting and this is available in some other book.  The poem reads:

Karunarnavamai karutha gadhi nalgum
arunachala sivam eetham.

As an ocean of mercy, [the one] that confers liberation on contemplating [its form,]
[That] Arunachala Sivam is this.

Arunachala Siva.         

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »
Excellent post nagaraj! Subramanian sir's observation is very correct.The writing is not that of a 16 yr old. How could it be? Could the maturity of the mind have also reflected in his bodily actions? maybe. I shudder to imagine what must have gone through the family of sri bhagavan after recieving that letter...because they wouldnt have known then that he was an avatara of subramania swamy himself! It all came out right in the end!

It is such a great thing that they could preserve the letter. Imagine how many hands this letter must have exchanged and how many times!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

There are many such excellent pieces of writings of Bhagavan
Ramana that are available in Sri Ramanasramam Archives.  All
and sundry are not permitted access these.  David Godman had worked there at the Asramam's request for some years.  He had brought out many such treasures for the benefit of the Asramam and readers of books. 

Recently David Godman wrote, in his blog, about one such writing of B.V. Narasimhaswamy.  It is the original manuscript of Self Realization.  Mr. Ganesan gave the keys of some steel cupboards
and told David:  "We are all like dog in the manger.  Please do
whatever you can do with these manuscripts, ensuring safety of
them, all the time."  I think earlier, Michael James also had access
to these Archive treasures.

One such masterpiece is Bhagavan Ramana's own handwriting
of Guhai Namasivaya's poems [about 500] written in pencil,
when He was in Virupaksha Cave.  This was carefully taken out
and book of Guhai Namasivya was published by the Asramam.
recently.  David also helped the Asramam in this adventure.

Similarly Graham Boyd, the Administrator of this Forum, has restored with proper chemical process many many photographs of Bhagavan Ramana and old devotees, and helped the Asramam,
in publishing restored versions.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
Dear I,

i never went to Tiruvannamalai ! I really wish to go there!

If you visit once, you will feel like visiting again and again... and that too very quickly and often one would want to visit Sri Ramanashramam.

[

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »

[