Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 153  (Read 655 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 153
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »

Let us now see Verse 25 of ULLadu Narpadu:

Bhagavan Ramana's Tamil Version:

Uruppattri undaam urup pattri nirkum
Uruppattri undu miha ongum - uru vittu
Uruppattrum tedi naal ottam pidikkum
Uru-vattra pei ahandhai orvai.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri's Sanskrit Version:

Roopodbhavi roopa-tati-pratustho
Roopaasano dhoota-grhita-roopah |
Svyan viroopah svavichaara kaale
Dhaavat-ahamkaara pisaacha esah. ||

Sri Lakshmana Sarma's Sanskrit Version:

Dhrtvaa roopmudeti cha sthitmuta praapnoti roopagrahaat
Dhrtvaa roopamutopabhujya visyaanuncchaistamaam vardhate |
Hitvaa roopamaupaadadita navamapynavisyate chet tadaa
Dhaavedroopavihina esa sahasaa'hantaapisacho dhruvam ||

As discussed in the previous verse, the ego is born as though
in between the body and the Self.  Its very existence is supported
by both.  It assumes the form of the body, gross or subtle, as soon as it comes into existence.  For example, I am fair or I am scared etc., It therefore remains comfortably amongst various names and forms it has gathered around itself.  People therefore love titles and medals and their letter heads are full of them!  The ego feels greatly satisfied the more there are and the more they are known.  Some people only work when they are given a titled post.  For example, "Chairman of the reception committee."

We need food to live and relish food for joy.  The ego has a
gluttonous appetite for forms.  No form is inedible for its
taste, e.g. I am a worm, I am a monster etc., It puts on extra weight when it feeds on fame, status, power, etc., For example, I won the Olympic Gold, I wrote this poem.  It also has the achievement of having worked ceaselessly, even in the lazies, from birth to death from innumerable lifetimes, except for periods when it lies dormant in sleep or coma.  It rises to own the first thought and rests only after owning the last one.

What does the ego do throughout the day?  It gives up and takes on forms at the incredible speed of the mind.  With every thought it has become something new, having completely renounced its previous allegiance.  For example, a moment before I was sad, now I am glad and the next instant I may be bad or mad.  Remaining very much alive, it even declares its own death, e.g. I am egoless.  It makes no distinction of caste, creed, colour, religion or species.  For example, I am a Muslim, I am an elephant.  No ego is superior or inferior, gross or refined.  That is, "I am" remains the same for a beggar or for a king.

How does one catch this ego?  Being extremely elusive, it escapes all attempts at its capture.  The only way is direct confrontation.  When we remove support -- the various names and forms, we ask, 'Who are you?" i.e "Who am I?" vicharam na sahate saa maaya - maya cannot bear the direct enquiry.  Being an illusion, it runs away or melts into thin air like a ghost.  The ghost scares us assuming various forms. But it is itself formless or substance-less.

The survival instinct of this ego is very strong.  It therefore allows
us all freedom to do anything except inquire into itself.  It does not
mind academic study regarding it, but does not allow actual enquiry.
If true inquiry begins, we are rid of the ego for all time to come.

Arunachala Siva.