Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi About Different Types Of Knowledge  (Read 888 times)

prasanth_ramana_maharshi

• ఓం నమో భగవతే శ్రీ రమణాయ
    • View Profile
    • HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA
Ramana Maharshi About Different Types Of Knowledge
« on: May 24, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
Talk 68

D.: Is there knowledge in Realisation?

M.: Absence of knowledge is sleep. There is knowledge in Realisation.But this knowledge differs from the ordinary one of the relation of subject and object. It is absolute knowledge. Knowledge has two meanings:

(1) vachyartha = vritti = Literal meaning.
(2) lakshyartha = Jnana = Self = Swarupa = Secondary significance.

D.: With vritti one sees knowledge.

M.: Quite so, he also confounds vritti with knowledge. Vritti is a mode of mind. You are not the mind. You are beyond it.

Later Sri Bhagavan explained: Vritti is often mistaken for consciousness. It is only a phenomenon(Any state or process known through the senses) and operates in the region of abhasa (reflected consciousness).

The knowledge lies beyond relative knowledge and ignorance. It is not in the shape of vritti.There are no subject and object in it.

Vritti belongs to the rajasic (active) mind. The satvic mind (mind is repose i.e The absence of mental stress or anxiety) is free from it. The satvic is the witness of the rajasic. It is no doubt true consciousness.

Still it is called satvic mind because the knowledge of being witness is the function of abhasa (reflected consciousness) only. Mind is the abhasa. Such knowledge implies mind. But the mind is by itself inoperative. Therefore it is called satvic mind.

The satvic mind is in fact the Absolute consciousness. The object to be witnessed and the witness finally merge together and Absolute consciousness alone reigns supreme. It is not a state of sunya (blank) or ignorance.

It is the swarupa (Real Self).Some say that mind arises from consciousness followed by reflection (abhasa);others say that the abhasa (reflection) arises first followed by the mind. In fact both are simultaneous.

Source: Talks With Ramana Maharshi Book

ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi About Different Types Of Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »

Dear prasanth,

I am very happy to see, very often, that the topic you are posting is sometimes coming to my mind also.  The position is as under:-

1.  Bhagavan Ramana, [as you have quoted from Talks], has sometimes said that Sattvic Mind is Consciousness.  This was
when He was speaking to people who subscribed to this view, or
to people who felt uncomfortable with the notion of a mind that
was truly dead.  This Pure Mind or Sattvic Mind or Suddha Manas
was elaborated on the basis of Saiva Siddhantam concepts. He
said such a thing when people were afraid of a dead mind concept.

2. However, Bhagavan Ramana's real views were that the the enlightened state as being guna-free.  The gunas, are the three
modes or qualities of mind, sattva, rajas and tamas.  But the
self realized jnani is Brahman and Brahman is Nirguna, guna free. Even the sattvic mind is also not there.  Then how does a realized Brahma Jnani, eat, drink and work and writes poems and engages
in wonderful conversations, like Bhagavan Ramana?  The answer, is the Sakti within Sivam (Pure Awareness) does all this.  Once,
some devotee asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Why have you not written anything about Sakti, like Sri Sankara wrote Sri Soundarya Lahari and several slokas on, various goddesses?"  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "It is that Sakti which is operating within Me. Where is the
need for Me to write about Sakti separately?"

In today's post on ULLadu Narpadu, I am quoting Muruganar's
verses from Padamalai on the same subject.

Arunachala Siva.