Author Topic: Sri bhagavan says  (Read 955 times)

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Sri bhagavan says
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
One day two destitute-looking brahmins entered the hall. It was well-known that they earned their livelihood by the wretched and socially demeaning occupation of bearing the dead to the cremation grounds. Both were extremely hungry after having dischared their duties.  A heated argument had ensued between the two men about the propriety of coming to the ashram without having bathed.

One of them excited and abruptly said to bhagavan:

"swami, I have been insisting on the customary bath before we sit for our mean. Is that not but just and proper?" Bhgavana responded in a very soft tone " no one can say you are unjust". The other in a greatly agitated voice burst forth:

" The pangs of hunger are so intense that our entrails are being devoured. Is it wrong to eat when hunger is gnawing?". Bhagavan quietly replied "who says it is wrong. Not at all".

Shocked, looking at each other, they asked in one voice, " But then who is wrong?"

Bhagavan answered:

" Dont think you alone are pall-bearers. All of us are carrying these lifeliess corpses. This body is a veritable corpse. Everybody carries it saying 'I, I'. Whoever has the 'I-am-the-body-feeling' is but a pall-bearer. As long as one has not gone beyond this, one remains as impure and polluted as a pall-beaerer. The pollution of bearing this dead body can be washed away by a dip in any tank. Bathing in the holy waters of the atman alone can remove this pollution."

The brahmins though initially feeling vindicated were now startled and stared at each other. In an instance , the entire complexion of the issue stood tranformed. Everyone without exception was equally polluted! All people shared their fate!

- Sri Bhagavan's great bhakta smt.T.R Kanakammal

[Source - MP, 2007- April, 35-36]

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri bhagavan says
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Yes.  This is one of the moving incidents that happened in the
Asramam.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "We are all carrying dead bodies.
We are equally pall bearers."

Is it something that Bhagavan Ramana said just for the sake of
satisfying the hungry pall bearers.  The body is in fact dying
every moment.  Cells within us are dying and new cells are taking
births.  In seven years, a man's body is said to be completely of
new cells.  When we see a lamp one can say that the lamp is
burning.  But one can also say that the lamp is extinguishing!
The oil is slowly consumed.  The wick is getting dark and shorter.
Every moment, the lamp is extinguishing.  So also the camphor
that is burning.  The camphor is slowly dying.  This is the truth.

We are growing everyday.  We can also say that we are slowly
dying.  Can anyone say, when the first grey hair appeared on the
head, near the ears?  When the eye becomes long-sighted and
cataract is forming?  When the ears are losing the recognition of
decibel sounds? 

In effect, we are carrying the bodies that are dead.

Arunachala Siva.