Author Topic: Conversations on the Ego  (Read 814 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Conversations on the Ego
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
On 17th February 1937, Mrs. Jinarasadasa asked Bhagavan Ramana:

Mrs. J:  But how did the ego arise?

Bhagavan:  Ego is non-existent, otherwise you would be two instead
of one -  you the ego and you the Self.  You are a single, indivisible
whole.  Enquire into yourself and the apparent ego and ignorance
will disappear.

Mrs. J:  Why then do we need to concentrate?

Bhagavan: Concentration, meditation and all spiritual practices are
not performed with the object of realizing the Self, because the
Self is ever-present, but of realizing the non-existence of ignorance.  Every man admits his own existence and does not need a mirror to
prove it to him.  Existence is Awareness, which is the negation of
ignorance.  Then why does a man suffer?  Because he imagines
himself to be other than what he is in reality is, e.g., the body,
this, that and the other -- "I am Gopal, son of Parashuram, father of Natesan," etc., In reality he is the intelligent "I-am" aone, stripped of qualities and super-impositions, of names and forms.  Does he
see his body and all these qualities, shapes and colours in dreamless deep sleep?  Yet he does not deny that he is then himself existing even wtihout a body.  He must hold on to that existence, that lone being - Kaivalya - even when he is in the waking state. The man of wisdom simply is.  "I-am-That-I-am" sums up the whole Truth.  The method is summed up by "Be still and know that I am
God."  What does stillness mean?  Cessation of thinking, which is the universe of forms, colours, qualities, time, space, all concepts and precepts whatever.

A visitor asked:

"If the ego or "I" be an illusion who then casts off the illusion?

Bhagavan:  The "I" casts off the illusion of "I" and yet remains
as "I".  This appears to be a paradox to you.  It is not so to the Jnani.  Take the case of the bhakta (devotee).  His "I" prays to the Lord to unite it with Him, which is its surrender.  What remains as residuum after the surrender, is the eternal "I", which is God the Absolute, Paramatman Himself.  What has happened to the "I" which originally prayed?  Being unreal it simply vanished!

(Source:  Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen.)

Arunachala Siva.