Author Topic: On striving...effort.  (Read 951 times)

nonduel

• View Profile
On striving...effort.
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
Dear All,

Below are a few sayings of Sri Nisargadatta. It is a compilation from the book I Am That that are available on this site:   http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_am_that_reorganized_8.php

Don't try to reform yourself, just see the futility of all change. The changeful keeps on changing while the changeless is waiting. Do not expect the changeful to take you to the changeless - it can never happen. Only when the very idea of changing is seen as false and abandoned, the changeless can come into its own.

If you are earnest, you will find that in the end you will get fed up with roaming and regret the waste of energy and time. To find your self you need not take a single step.

It is not what you do, but what you stop doing that matters.

Your mind is steeped in the habits of evaluation and acquisition, and will not admit that the incomparable and unobtainable are waiting timelessly within your own heart for recognition. All you have to do is to abandon all memories and expectations. Just keep yourself ready in utter nakedness and nothingness.

The Self is near and the way to it is easy. All you need doing is doing nothing.

Stay open and quiet, that is all. What you seek is so near you that there is no place for a way.

Your needs are unreal and your efforts are meaningless.

The people who begin their sadhana are so feverish and restless that they have to be very busy to keep themselves on the track. An absorbing routine is good for them. After some time, they quieten down and turn away from effort. In peace and silence, the skin of the "I" dissolves and the inner and the outer become one. The real sadhana is effortless.

Abandon every attempt, just be; don't strive, don't struggle, let go every support, hold on to the blind sense of being, brushing off all else. This is enough.

It is your idea that you have to do things that entangle you in the results of your efforts - the motive, the desire, the failure to achieve, the sense of frustration - all this holds you back. Simply look at whatever happens and know that you are beyond it.

Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.