Author Topic: Practical Sadhana, Which Way Within - 3  (Read 946 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Practical Sadhana, Which Way Within - 3
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
Years later, Bhagavan Ramana was again requested to expand
on this means for controlling the mind.  But prior to us discussing
this, the need arises to address those modern practitioners, some
of whom call themselves New Advaitins, who declare that the mind
and the so called ego are both illusions.

"The need to control the mind simply does not exist, and therefore
absolutely no effort need be made to attain the Divine state referrred to as "one thing needul".  They refer to Bhagavan Ramana saying that the "one thing needful" is Absolute Knowledge of the Self, and that is always present."  Further, they emphatically propound that Bhagavan
Ramana's essential teaching proclaims:  "We are That", and the Guru's work is solely to reveal this Truth."

Undoubtedly, Bhagavan's teaching emphasized that the Self [God]
is within us.  His essential teaching, however, as a Jagat Guru, was
the revelation of Atma Vichara, as the path of enquiry, which effectively removes our central ignorance, namely our identification with the ego, or false 'I'.  This leads one to the direct experience,
Aparoksha Anubhava of Self Realization.  Bhagavan definitely clarified
this Truth and then the Guru's role, when He declared:

"If ignorance is wiped out, the confusion will end and true knowledge unfolded. By remaining in contact with the realized sages one "gradually" loses the ignorance, till it disappears totally.  The eternal Self is thus revealed..... Without understanding this aright, people
think that the Guru teaches something like "Tat Tvam Asi" and immediately the disciple realizes "I am Brahman".  In their utter
ignorance, they conceive Brahman to be something much bigger
and far more powerful than anything else.  With a limited 'I' man is
so stuck up and wild. What will he be if the same "I" is increased enormously?  He will certainly be proportionally more ignorant and more follish!  This false "I" must perish.  Its annihilation is the fruit of service to the Guru, Realization is eternal and is not granted by the Guru.  The Guru helps only the removal of ignorance --- that is all."

- S.S. Cohen, Reflections on Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi.

- Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi. $ 350.

(Source: As indicated in Part  1)

Arunachala Siva.