Author Topic: Vasanas and our pursuit in Self Abidance  (Read 778 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vasanas and our pursuit in Self Abidance
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Under the topic, "Who I am not able to realize the Self", we have
seen a good number of views, counterviews, the one negating the
other and vice versa.  At one time, it seemed to me that what everyone says is truth but it is not the Truth.  Late last evening, I
decided to go through the verses of Guru Vachaka Kovai of Muruganar.  The collection has been written by Muruganar where
every verse has been gone through by Bhagavan Ramana and corrected if necessary, for its content and metre.  Bhagavan's own
verses, about 22 of them, have been interjected, wherever the subject matter needed Bhagavan's works also.  Bhagavan Himself
has added new verses for the sake of GVK.  I decided to read the
verses connected with Vasanas and self abidance and start a new set of posts, so that readers may know what Bhagavan Ramana says about them.  Bhagavan Ramana, as you all know, gives out contextual truths, depending on the level and maturity and previous practices of the seekers.  Therefore one isolated advice should not be taken as final.

I have strictly followed David Godman's translation in his recent book.

GVK Verse 84 says:

In the same way that the wonderful scene that manifests in a fireworks display is already present in the unlit firebrand, all the gross and subtle scenes that manifest through the brain are already present within the Heart, in the firm of the ancient tale of Vassanas
that manifest in such a way that they can be seen externally.  You
should clearly under this in your mind.

{Bhagavan Ramana does not say that there are no vasanas for anyone, or one can live without vasanas.  Further the vasanas stay in the Heart and projects through the brain.  No one can therefore claim that they have no Vasanas.  Vasanas is a factual truth.  How one handles it, differs from person to person.  No one again can say that they are the Self and nothing affects them.  Because, Vasanas also stay in the Heart, the place identified by Bhagavan Ramana as the Self.}

(Source; GVK. Trans.David Godman and others.)

Arunachala Siva.