Author Topic: Arunachala vs Arunachalam  (Read 306 times)

goodns

• View Profile
Arunachala vs Arunachalam
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
Friends,

I have a question and I hope that it does not sound silly.

When we do japa, should we repeat Arunachala or Arunachalam. I realize that it is referred as Arunachalam in Tamil.

In Aksharamana Malai, Bhagavan starts with Arunachalam Ena Agame..., but ending each verse with Arunachala.

Nava Mani Malai also has reference to Arunachalam.

Please advice.

Thank you.

drsundaram

• View Profile
Re: Arunachala vs Arunachalam
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
it does not matter to me the word whether Arunachalam or Arunachala. it is the bhava/  Bhakti/ surrender to the background reality that matters.
of course i am alos eager to learn from other members
namo ramana

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
Bhagavan suggested the Japa of Arunachala Siva and if accompanied by a feeling of devotion it becomes even more effective. Essentially the japa is also a way to be in constant remembrance of Arunachala - 'Smaranad Arunachalam'. The hill is the physical manifestation of the Supreme being/Supreme Self who dvelves in all of us or God or Saguna Brahman and remembering him slowly removes our impurities and makes us more receptive to his grace. Once, we come under the ambit of his grace we are assured of liberation from the transmigration cycle - perhaps in a few births or this birth depends on our pakva or fitness.But the very name of Arunachala falling into our ears means emancipation is just around the corner .Regds, Anand.
Sundaram Anand

goodns

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
Thank you drsundaram and Anand.

It is helpful.

Somewhere I read that Father/Mother would know the child's calling regardless of how the child calls. I will remember it.

Thank you.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
goodns,
"I have a question and I hope that it does not sound silly"

No,not at all....it is indeed a very pertinent one and Anand has indeed responded well to it...'Arunachalam' refers to the 'Rupa' or the abode of the Divine ....it refers to the manifest divine in the form of the 'hill'....and Arunachala is the 'nama' or name of the Divine ....The 'Rupa' and 'Nama' of the divine are not different from the Divine and essentially serve to usher  the devotee into the Presence of the Divine....this essence is what is referred to as the 'Tatvam' and 'Arunachalam' is also this 'Tatvam'.

'Arunachala siva,Arunachala siva,Arunachala Siva,Arunachala' is the Refrain in the Akshara mana Malai....and in the very first verse it is said that when there is this dwelling in the Presence (Heart) as 'Arunachalam' ,the ego is rooted out.

For a devotee ,the very recall of the abode 'Arunachalam' can invoke this presence....just like the very word 'Chidambaram' had a strong pull for the pariah saint Nandanar...this is why all the 'Sthalams' are sacred and pilgrimages are undertaken by the devotees so that their minds partake of the spiritual ambience associated with these places and later on recall the presence and dwell in it...and are as such highly recommended by all Sages.

This sort of a pilgrimage also aids in revealing a taste for the Divine Nama....and prevent the 'nama Japa' from becoming a 'mechanical' exercise...so to sum it up ,we may recall the Holy abode 'Arunachalam' or we may do nama Japa of 'Arunachala Siva' and it is not one versus the other....essentially both help recall the Divine Presence irrespective of where we 'outwardly' happen to be located geographically.

Warmly recommend this fine article: https://www.advaita.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/The-Power-of-Arunachala-Michael-James-Arunachala.pdf

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 12:41:10 AM »
goodns,

"Somewhere I read that Father/Mother would know the child's calling regardless of how the child calls. I will remember it"

Here is the saying of Sri Ramakrishna:
"It is enough to have yearning for God.  It is enough to love Him and feel attracted to Him: Don't you know that God is the Inner Guide? He sees the longing of our heart and the yearning of our soul.  Suppose a man has several sons.  The older boys address him distinctly as 'Baba' or 'Papa', but the babies can at best call him 'Ba' or 'Pa'.  Now, will the father be angry with those who address him in this indistinct way? The father knows that they too are calling him, only they cannot pronounce his name well.  All children are the same to the father.  Likewise, the devotees call on God alone, though by different names.  They call on one Person only.  God is one, but His names are many." -The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

goodns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 07:36:54 PM »
Thank you very much Mr. Ravi,

The information you provided is very valuable.

I will share my little experience on japa on Arunachala and Arunachalam. Arunachala directed my mind towards external divine and Arunachalam directed my minds towards internal divine.  I found both to be very helpful.

Thanks again.

Best regards.