Author Topic: Buddhist Teachings and Practices  (Read 562 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Buddhist Teachings and Practices
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
This thread will have some pointers , quotes and teachings related to Buddhism and I am a great fan of Buddhist Teacher Thich Nhat Hanh and I will share his teachings here as well as of other Buddhist Masters .I do not want to compare between the teachings of Buddha , Advaita or Bhagavan Ramana ( though I believe that if someone has understood the essence of what Bhagavan Ramana or Adi Shankara said then they will find these practices much better without getting too much trapped in them )  but I do feel that Buddhist Teachings and practices does help a person to calm down and develop more sensitivity towards oneself as well as Others . The Buddhist practices of Mindfulness is applicable for everyone and one can bring in mindfulness to almost all activity either in home or office .

The first one is from Thich Nhat Hanh

"There are many ways to calm a negative energy without suppressing or fighting it. You recognize it, you smile to it, and you invite something nicer to come up and replace it; you read some inspiring words, you listen to a piece of beautiful music, you go somewhere in nature, or you do some walking meditation."

~ Thich Nhat Hanh
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Buddhist Teachings and Practices
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
Our way of acting depends on our way of thinking, and our way of thinking depends on our habit energies. When we recognize this, we only need to say, "Hello, habit energy," and make good friends with our habitual patterns of thinking and acting. When we can accept these ingrained thoughts and not feel guilty about them, they will lose much of their power over us.

- Thich Nhat Hanh
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:30:01 AM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Thank You so much for this beautiful thread! I love Buddha's teachings very much,and i will enjoy reading Your posts.

With love,

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:37:23 AM »

No scent of flower is borne against the wind,
though it were sandal, or incense or jasmine:
but the fragrance of the holy is borne against the wind:
the righteous pervade all space with their fragrance.

The Buddha's Way of Virtue
by W.D.C Wagiswara and K.J. Saunders

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
You will have great difficulty practicing Zen if you regret leaving behind worldly study and pride or if you are attached to some special talent. So, you should return to being a blank page.

If you can pay the price of a very restrictive practice, you will get great freedom.

In the old days there used to be people who would suddenly forget about life and death with just one word from a Zen teacher. Also, there were many people who got enlightenment after three or seven days of practice. However, people these days have very little patience and practice Zen as a sideline. Because of this, people who have practiced for even twenty or thirty years still have not attained Buddhism?s great meaning.

When you eat rice yourself, you feel full. If you don?t practice Zen yourself, even the Buddha and eminent teachers cannot help you.

If you want to practice Zen, first win the battle of the six senses.

- The Teachings of Zen Master Man Gong, p.12

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:35 PM »
Nonthinking is an art, and like any art, it requires patience and practice. Reclaiming your attention and bringing your mind and body back together for even just ten breaths can be very difficult at first. But with continued practice, you can reclaim your ability to be present and learn just to be.

- Thich Nhat Hanh

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
Many of us have lost our capacity for listening and using loving speech in our families. It may be that no one is capable of listening to anyone else. So we feel very lonely even within our own families... So if you really love someone, train yourself to be a listener? You may be the best therapist for the person you love if you know how to train yourself in the art of deep, compassionate listening. You must also use loving speech. We have lost our capacity to say things calmly. We get irritated too easily. Every time we open our mouths, our speech becomes sour or bitter... We have lost our capacity for speaking with kindness... This is so crucial to restoring peaceful and loving relationships.

- Thich Nhat Hanh

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Brushing our teeth, cooking our breakfast, walking to the meditation hall ? everything we do, every step, every breath should bring joy and happiness to us. Life is already full of suffering; we don?t need to create more.

Thich Nhat Hanh

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
LIVING MINDFULNESS

Dipa Ma ( a great Buddhist Vipassana Teacher ) said that even while she was talking, she was meditating. Talking, eating, working, thinking about her daughter, playing with her grandson?none of those activities hampered her practice because she did them all with mindfulness.
"When I'm moving, shopping, everything, I'm always doing it with mindfulness. I know these are things I have to do, but they aren't problems. On the other hand, I don't spend time
gossiping or visiting or doing anything which I don't consider necessary in my life."

How do you tie your shoes?
She encouraged me to live what I was teaching. The quality of her presence was like that in the Hasidic tales, where somebody asked, "Why did you go to see this rabbi? Did you go to hear him give a great lecture on the Torah, or see how
he worked with his students?"
And the person said, "No, I went to see how he tied his shoes."

Dipa Ma didn't want people to come and live in India forever
or be monks or join an ashram. She said, "Live your life. Do the dishes. Do the laundry. Take your kids to kindergarten. Raise your children or your grandchildren. Take care of the community in which you live. Make all of that your path, and follow your path with heart.

Jack Kornfield

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 03:54:23 PM »
Anger is within us and external objects or incidents are just the triggers that bring the anger out .Simple explanation to the same given here

A monk decided to meditate alone, away from his monastery. He took his boat out to the middle of the lake, moored it there, closed his eyes and began meditating. After a few hours of undisturbed silence, he suddenly felt the bump of another boat colliding with his own.

With his eyes still closed, he felt his anger rising, and by the time he opened his eyes, he was ready to scream at the boatman who had so carelessly disturbed his meditation. But when he opened his eyes, he was surprised to find that it was an empty boat that had struck his own. It had probably gotten untethered and floated to the middle of the lake.

At that moment, the monk had a great realization. He understood that the anger was within him; it merely needed the bump of an external object to provoke it out of him. From then on, whenever he came across someone who irritated him or provoked him to anger, he would remind himself, that the other person was merely an empty boat, the anger was within him.

Source : From a FB Post

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »