Author Topic: Wisdom Power vs Will Power - Vis-a-Vis Holding Onto The Self  (Read 394 times)

srkudai

• View Profile
Wisdom Power vs Will Power - Vis-a-Vis Holding Onto The Self
« on: December 19, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
Friends,
          There are two different powers we can utilize during our sadhana:
1. Wisdom power
2. Will power.

Suppose i sit down to do something as simple as "nama japa" or lord.
I can apply my will power and again and again bring back the mind as it sways here and there.
or I can re-educate my mind saying "what is there in this world which is no more than a figment of imagination , lets rather utilize our left over time effectively by chanting the lord's name"
When this understanding stabilizes, the mind automatically settles down on the nama.

Usually, I think, will power does not do a very good job in settling the mind. We need to understand in a "deep way" and it is this understanding that guides us to liberated living. There is a proper reason for this. This mind of ours is like an instrument, we have taught it for a long time that sense pleasures make us fulfilled, this body is me etc. so now suddenly when we tell it the opposite, the suggestion would not stand. its like telling a child to study when his mind is on movies. one needs to re-educate the mind to see things in proper light. This insight is gained by constantly applying onself to observation. observing things as they are -- this gives us a vision. instead of merely saying everything is dying, i see things as constantly dying... these words are typed .... :) ... motion is to be seen continuously and one needs to see how things are quickly moving into the past. this leads to insight that all this is really like a dream.

unfortunately using sheer will power will not work. There is a famous quote from Yoga Vasishta that says :

उपविश्योपविश्यैकचित्तकेन मुहुर्मुहुः।
न शक्यते मनो जेतुँ विन युक्तिम्-अनिन्दिताम्॥ [Laghu yoga vasishta 28.126]
By repeatedly bringing the mind back to One-pointedness, it cannot be conquered unless one is equipped with faultless reasoning [ insight gained through proper sravana-manana]

अङ्कुशेन विना मत्तो यथा दुष्टमतङ्गजः।
विजेतुँ शक्यते नैव तथ युकत्याविना मनः॥ [Laghu Yoga vasishta 28.127]

The mind cannot be brought under control without the application of reasoning [and insight] even as a vicious elephant in rut cannot be controlled without using the hook.

The point to be appreciated here is : yukti is not mere reasoning , its really about the vision or insight : its the insight gained through connecting the dots , the sruti or vision provided by guru has to be internalized through this process of connecting the dots and really looking at the world in that way.
Thus one gains insight ... wisdom.
it is this wisdom that allows the mind to settle down and also vanish altogether , if i may be allowed to use that phrase.

Now coming to Holding onto the Self.
We are so habituated to hearing "Holding onto objects" , that we forget that Self cannot be held onto ... one has to resolve in Self. One cannot hold onto Self, one just lets go hold on other objects and simply resolves in the Self. This is what Bhagavan meant by Holding onto Self really. And even here, we need to appreciate that this is via understanding and not via brute force or effort.
When i say understanding, its wisdom and not mere information.

The case is similar to Self Surrender also. When Bhagavan says surrender to god, its not to mean that i have something that is mine that can be offered to god. We say "Tan man dhan sab thera , sab kuch hai tera", when everything is God's what can i offer to God ? Well, just recognition that everything is God is indeed true surrender. We have, as if, falsely taken ownership of various things. for example, this body is mine ... what is really "mine" about this body ? it is a conglomeration of various elements, elements that are in constant motion... in fact there is no object like a body .. constantly atoms / molecules moving out and in of it ... its only a dynamic entity ... like a river. what is there that can be called "mine" ?
this body is really like a river ... its said that no one can wash one's feet in the same river twice, because its constantly changing ... the same holds for this body ... and can we call it mine ? when this recognition is there and we see God's presence here and now ... that is surrender. its only a surrender of false ideas.

similarly holding onto Self is not really holding onto Self as an object but to let go off the hold on "I" ... and resolve in that Self.
its indeed absolutely relaxed being. And the method to do this is not "will power", but "insight" gained through proper and mindful observation. insight gained through the observation of the ways of the world. How things are all in constant flux and there is really no "me" anywhere around. This insight itself is the Truth.

Love!
Silence
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:02:40 PM by srkudai »

kishorelr

• View Profile
Re: Wisdom Power vs Will Power - Vis-a-Vis Holding Onto The Self
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »
The point to be appreciated here is : yukti is not mere reasoning , its really about the vision or insight : its the insight gained through connecting the dots , the sruti or vision provided by guru has to be internalized through this process of connecting the dots and really looking at the world in that way.
Thus one gains insight ... wisdom.
it is this wisdom that allows the mind to settle down and also vanish altogether , if i may be allowed to use that phrase.

Dear Udai,
What is the case of aspirants who doesn't have the intellectual maturity to get the vision or insight ? I mean to say people whose intellectual abilities are limited to connect the dots?
Isn't the elaborate study and analysis of Shastra's itself is an escape of the mind  "Just To Be" ?

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Dear Kishorelr,
       :)

What is needed is not intellectual maturity, but keen observation of life as it is. And as such there is no question of escaping "just be" ! Every moment of spiritual practice should be reveling in one's being. your may now ask "what if one is not doing this". Suppose i am not able to simply be ... its imperative that i see what is happening really. why am i running after the world ? the cause has to be seen.
People who read a lot of shastras have the tendency to simply jump up and say "what is there to see here, we know that this is because of vasanas" ... that will not work. because they only have this information, they have not really seen the vasanas as to how they are deceiving.

Even as a scientist would sit in his lab and observe ... so too we need to observe our body and mind... we have this wonderful mobile laboratory. and as we observe we see how the body is not different from mind at all. we observe that body is only a series of sensations, palpitations. And we also see how vasanas are working through us. infact this body is not very different from mind and we can see that we are really storing "Tension" in our shoulders etc. Observe ...

and then we discover the working of vasanas and also how they cannot really touch us ! this is the beauty. In fact we discover that there is no "I" that may be affected by all these processes.

A spiritual aspirant is someone who observes life and events. First of all , sees dispassionately ... clearing the veil of wrong ideas.

Suppose i go to a guru and am impressed with his long beard or flowing white dress or perhaps logic ...

I should first of all be able to see that i am impressed with these ... crystal clear ... How ? I should be able to observe myself.

what we need is not really a lot of reasoning, but the calmness and stillness to see things as they are.
these can be developed.

Love!
Silence

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
Suppose i go to a guru and am impressed with his long beard or flowing white dress or perhaps logic ...

LOL and the longer the beard the more enlightened that person is
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha