Author Topic: what is abidance  (Read 173 times)

Shivam

• View Profile
what is abidance
« on: October 05, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Hello everyone. this is my first post here. greetings to all. can somebody share your thoughts on what is "abidance" or "atma-nishta"?  Bhagavan Ramana has said - whence the 'I' rises not, That we are, so does it mean the non-raising of 'I' is abidance? But again what is the non-raising of 'I'? Is it really practically possible? request one and all to share your thoughts! Thank you.

Shivam

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: what is abidance
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
hi

the abidance is of 2 types -- temporary and permanent...

when the individual I does not arise, what remains is Brahman... the catch is,  when 'I' 'You' are still there, we cannot experience that state....

When we really experience that Brahman state ( non I state),  there will be no "I" left to record that experience and tell others

in temporary abidance,  there is samadhi followed by raising of I.   Permanent abidance is sahaja state of a jnani.

both are very very difficult to attain.  it requires many many lifetimes of intense practice and sadhana

but in atma vidya keerthanam,  Bhagavan Ramana has reassured that this is easiest of all.  Hence please believe on that statement of our Guru.  you will become That in this very lifetime.

Shivam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
Thanks Ksksat, for your respone. Sometimes, i do feel that all these are divine traps and most get trapped in some sort of fascinations, and then these practices keep chasing you endlessly!

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
Dear Shivam ji,
           :)

Self Abidance is your natural state. you are the Self, where else can you abide ?
A person looked into a well and thought that he has fallen into the well. The solution is not to stop the reflection ["I"] from appearing. The solution is the understanding that it is a reflection and that he never fell in the well in the first place.

Love!
Silence

ekarshe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
He who depends upon none and is unceasingly absorbed in devotion and has become free from all internal merits or defects, merges in the course of this discipline into Brahman. There is no other way to attain to this absorption (Avadhuta Gita II-16)

The merger of the individuality with the universal Reality is effortless ? is spontaneous. This great awakening into the Spiritual Experience is automatic and natural. There is no strain and struggle in it. Sankara expresses the spontaneity of the effortlessness of the final stage of Self-Realization in his Vivekachudamani (V-533);

The clear knowledge I am Devadatta, is independent of everything; similar is the case with realization in the Knower-of-Brahman that ,I am Brahman

One does not need to necessarily depend upon an object, emotion or thought to confirm his abidance in the self, since all these are other than pure consciousness which ever remains as the seer or the subject. The student is required only to have unceasing devotion or identification with the Absolute where there is no trace of otherness, therefore no desires, this is indicating the magnificent spiritual state of ?Be-ing?.

When thus he has identified completely with the absolute in the white heat of meditationless meditation, where there is no difference between the meditator and the object of meditation, all the internal merits and demerits (vasanas) gets burnt up or purified. He is no longer attached to any actions or sense objects. He becomes equanimous to all the pairs-of-opposites like heat and cold, pleasure and pain, knowledge and ignorance, acceptance and skepticism etc..

Sri Dattatreya Avadhuta assures that this will take any sincere seeker to the goal which he is seeking, which is absorption into the Brahmic Consciousness.