Author Topic: What is truth? Who can know?  (Read 582 times)

Nishta

• View Profile
Re: What is truth? Who can know?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Thank you for the posts Ravi.
Sri Chandrasekara Bharati mahaswamiji has a pleasant and gentle delivery. Was this recorded as he spoke or years later / after his death?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Nishta,
Thanks...your observation is quite correct...I am copying the small preface here:

These passages from the book "Dialogues with The Guru" provide answers to many nagging questions that trouble the individual as well as the society. While answering generic questions, Sri Acarya, induces one to reflect over the true meaning of Sanatana Dharma and application of its principles to modern life. These passages are translation of talks with His Holiness Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Swamigal, compiled by Sri R. Krishnaswamy Iyer.

I must say that the compiler has done an excellent job .
This small collection of talks is available as a free download :
http://www.vedanta.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChandrashekBharati_Dialogues-with-The-Guru_RK-Iyer_ENA5.pdf

Sri Chandrasekara Bharati mahaswamiji was mostly self absorbed and rarely spoke...but when he did speak ,the clarity and conviction drove the message home inexorably...this is the mark  of a sage...truly a jagadguru in every sense of the term.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
The Means of Happiness continued...

HH: It is only this. Merely cease to submit yourself to that antecedent trouble.
D: How can we do that?
HH: Man is and remains healthy when he refuses to submit himself to anything which may cause sickness. Is it not so?
D: Yes.
HH: Similarly, man can be happy by refusing to submit himself to anything which may disturb his mental equilibrium and make him unhappy. It is only an application of the maxim that prevention is better than cure. For calling yourself clean, it is not necessary that you dip your hands in mire and then wash it off.
D: I now understand that the happiness which results from attraction or repulsion is not real happiness. Real happiness is only that which is the concomitant of mental equipoise unrelated to any attraction or repulsion.
HH: Quite so.
D: But, how can we acquire and retain such a mental equipoise in the midst of this vast universe of things which either attract or repel?
HH: Anyhow, this is certainly a more practical method than the one of trying to exhaust the inexhaustible store of things, desirable and undesirable.
D: This method may be foolish but the other does not seem to be practical.
HH: Why not? Suppose you have about twenty articles in your room every one of which is likely to distract you by its very sight. Which is the more practical method, to prepare cases for enveloping every one of them or to shut your eyes?
D: Certainly, the latter is easier.
HH: Similarly, it is impossible for you to regulate, modify, annihilate or create at your pleasure the infinite things of the universe which are likely to disturb you. But you can so regulate your own mind that it may gradually cease to be disturbed by them. This is quite within your competence. Your forefathers were happy, not because they had more objects of pleasure or less causes of trouble, but because they were able to retain their mental equilibrium, which gave them rest, peace and contentment and, therefore, happiness. They did not depend upon outside things to make them happy, nor did they concede to outside things the capacity to make them unhappy. Their feeling of rest and peace, contentment and happiness, was normal, natural and healthy and, therefore, lasting. You must also cultivate that feeling if you want to be happy. Such a feeling is born and ingrained in the Brahmana especially, and if he neglects it and seeks happiness in the outside world, he is seriously impairing his chances of getting it again in the next birth, for God will be quite justified in withholding a gift which the donee does not appreciate at its proper value when he has it with him. Never let go your birthright or svabhava of contentment and never give the go-by to your sva-dharma or duty. Everything will right itself in due course. Make honest and sincere attempt to regain and retain your brahmaniam in the firm faith that God is ever with you to help you.
D: We shall try our best, but these happen to be very bad days for the Brahmanas.
HH: When did the bad days begin? You must bear that also in your mind. They began when the Brahmanas swerved from their achara and Dharma and entered the field of competition in the pursuit of worldly things. They forgot that they were most ungratefully misusing the heritage of ages. The others, who were left behind the Brahmanas in this race, first looked upon them with admiration and later on with envy and now with hatred. Let the Brahmanas withdraw from this race they will once again regain and command the respect which is their due. They commanded respect before, not because they were richer or stronger than others, but because of their contentment, which made them happier than the richest and because of their Dharma, which made them
stronger than the strongest. The so-called bad days are therefore only of our own making. We can at any moment put an end to them, so far as every one of us is concerned, by reverting to the simple faith and the upright conduct, the religious fervour and the peaceful contentment of our fathers. I think that the bad days will turn out to be really useful and not after all bad, if they but make the Brahmanas realise the depth of their fall from their true ideal and induce them to make honest endeavour to recover it

Concluded

Shivam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
Thanks Ravi, but what really constitutes Sva-Dharma? How do we distinguish our real duty?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
Shivam,
You have asked a very valid and fundamental question...In earlier times it was broadly categorized and cut out, organized as it was along the varnashrama dharma lines...The Profession also used to be a hereditary affair...The son of a priest used to take to priesthood,the son of a carpenter used to be a carpenter,the son of a goldsmith used to be a goldsmith,etc...and this was a simpler affair.
In our present times such a clear cut succession does not obtain...If software profession is paying more,everyone aspires to become a software professional...If chartered accountant/auditor is a paying profession,everyone aspires to be a CA/auditor...Ditto with Doctors,Lawyers,etc...So,the aptitude and attitude are never a consideration and only monetary gain,comfortable lifestyle and luxury and style are the motivators....and no wonder excellence has given place to mediocrity aplenty!
This is not sva-Dharma...Sva-Dharma is that which is good for oneself and this is to be determined based on one's attitude and aptitude and potential for growth as A HUMAN BEING and not just as a SUCCESSFUL PRODUCT...Currently the education as it obtains in the schools and colleges are slanted towards churning out PRODUCTS/SERVICES...and are not aimed at educating humans to be a human being...and this has to be taken care by us as parents ...We are responsible to ensure that our children are steeped in the principles of Dharma...and these principles ever remain the same...they do not change with the times...The Principles of Truthfulness,Moral rectitude and uprightness,not coveting another's wealth,Being helpful to others and not causing harm,etc are very much essential and are part of Sva-Dharma .
In short Sva Dharma means to look up to oneself for one's need and comfort and base one's  living in such a way that does not conflict with others ...not look at another and calibrate one's 'Need' which is nothing but greed!...This principle if applied will be a good place to start with as a quick 'Go' 'No Go' check...The measure of this would be whether we feel fulfilled and peaceful in whatever we undertake...or whether we are caught up in conflict and confusion.

This needs tremendous earnestness on one's part...and clarity would come out of this earnestness...and the conviction to live upto it.
In a deeper sense,Sva Dharma means to live according to our true nature as Self...in the firm conviction that our real nature is the Self and this life's prime purpose is to give maximum priority and energy towards realizing this potential...All living has to be aligned with this purpose and the rest is only incidental...This is Sva-Dharma.

I would request you to understand the fundamental point as to what constitutes and contributes to Real and lasting happiness...Understanding that is key to understanding what sva-Dharma is...Whatever promotes that is sva-dharma and what goes against it is para dharma.

so.....how do we go about it?....Just apply the KISS principle....Keep it simple and short to begin with...Understand what all contributes to our confusion and unhappiness....Try to set that in order in small incremental steps...These steps if rightly undertaken  would clarify and add greater strength to take it up in greater measure and bring about the course correction in our living...and this is all that we can do and must do...and faith is the strongest staff in hand to stabilize us and stick to this orderly living....Dharma is essentially this orderliness.

Namaskar

Shivam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »
Thanks Ravi, I feel, if i can sustain enough faith so as to last till my life, that much would be enough!

But again, this faith in me happens to be "the spirit of living" and lesser, as a faith in God! At the same time this does not mean that I am standing here to prove the non existence of God or the unreality of Enlightenment of Self. I just happen to see in my life that there has been nothing more meaningful than living your life wisely and intelligently while it lasts, given with the acceptance that this life is mixed with some good and some bad elements, which we have to accept, face it and move on! I am just exploring to see, if there is something else really, to which we can strive for!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »
shivam,
I am happy to see what you have said...yes,please continue with this conviction...and this will lead you on.
Wishing you the very best.
namaskar

kishorelr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 12:55:28 AM »
I am just exploring to see, if there is something else really, to which we can strive for!

Dear Shivam Sir,

I would like to suggest you to ask yourself honestly why did you thought of exploring to see if there is something else really which we can strive for ?
Does it become routine(or got bored) to live the life like the way you/we are living ?
Or are you not happy the way you are living life ?
Or did you read somewhere or got some idea that there is something better than current way living and try to explore the new idea ?
Or You are completely happy with the current way of living, but just exploring new ideas for fun ?
Or You are happy the way you are living but you have an inner feeling of incompleteness ?

If you can honestly answer the above questions yourself and further explore the answers to yourself that will be the best way.
As Scriptures and Bhagavan put it Atmavai Guru hu.

Pranam

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
Thanks Ravi, I feel, if i can sustain enough faith so as to last till my life, that much would be enough!

But again, this faith in me happens to be "the spirit of living" and lesser, as a faith in God! At the same time this does not mean that I am standing here to prove the non existence of God or the unreality of Enlightenment of Self. I just happen to see in my life that there has been nothing more meaningful than living your life wisely and intelligently while it lasts, given with the acceptance that this life is mixed with some good and some bad elements, which we have to accept, face it and move on! I am just exploring to see, if there is something else really, to which we can strive for!

Dear Shivam ji,
        What is living life "wisely and intelligently" ? How do we "Accept that life is mixed with some good and some bad elements" ? and how do we face these ? More importantly how is "good" and "bad" decided ?

Love!
Silence