Author Topic: Vichara  (Read 3333 times)

Nishta

• View Profile
Vichara
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
deleted -- no longer relevant
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:28:17 AM by Nishta »

Nishta

• View Profile
Re: Vichara
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
Some of you reading this will be convinced that what you need to do is go in search of a source, or hold the I-feeling or get self-realised(1). Each of these is merely a mental abstraction, if you believe otherwise this is your bad karma; but don't be concerned, it is coming to an end.

These concepts (Self, source, I-thought, I-feeling, Self-realisation, etc etc) are nothing more than mental abstractions, you cannot find them anywhere, and you will never find them anywhere, so stop looking for them.

Instead, why not deal with what is obvious to you, and that is your thoughts(2). If you persistently notice thoughts as they arise, identification with them snaps. And what remains is what you've actually been looking for. But let's not say too much about "that" otherwise we just start a new entanglement.   

Maharshi:
D: The Atman is formless. How shall I concentrate on it?
M: Leave alone the Atman which you say is formless or intangible. Mind is tangible to you. Hold the mind and it will do.

Leave God alone. Speak for yourself. You do not know God. He is only what you think of Him.

Watch the mind. You must stand aloof from it. You are not the mind. And the Self will remain over.
If mind is watched thoughts cease. Peace results and it is your true nature.
Looking at the mind with the mind, brings the mind under control of the Self.

Annamalai Swamy:
....watch the mind with full attention. Watch the ways of the mind without identifying with (thoughts) in any way. Ultimately, if we try hard enough, it gives us the ability to remain as consciousness, unaffected by transient thoughts. 

Nisargadatta: 
Watch your mind with great diligence, for there lies your bondage and also the key to freedom....By looking tirelessly, I became quite empty and with that emptiness all came back to me except the mind. I find I have lost the mind irretrievably.....earnestness is the only condition of success.

(1) Maharshi only ever referred to these as a means of concentration; they are not real things for you to get.

(2) your thoughts are also mental abstractions, however it is easier to watch them as they appear, as opposed to seek an elusive source, or other such fictions.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:37:19 AM by Nishta »

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »

A true teacher.

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:36 AM »
A fictitious mind creates a fictitious goal called Self-realisation.
To reach that fictitious goal a fictitious sadhana is fabricated.

Paradoxically the fictitious sadhana, undertaken earnestly,
and the fictitious mind ends.

At that the entire drama ceases, and never again arises. 

M: Reality is simply the loss of the ego (mind).