Author Topic: Vichara  (Read 86 times)

Nishta

• View Profile
Vichara
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
Maharshi clearly shows us the simplicity of our True Nature, and the direction in which to look.

M.: Know the pure state, your own real nature, by keenly observing the interval between two thoughts...
   This interval (is) the abiding, unchangeable reality, your true being
   [Guru Vachaka Kovai, Godman].

There are two common responses to this statement made by Maharshi. First, resting in the interval does not satisfy me. Or secondly, I am a jnani, my work is complete.

When the spaciousness between thoughts is recognised it is invariably seen only through layers of ego attachments. Consequently, on first recognising the interval between thoughts it does not satisfy because it is only seen through multiple attachments. This is akin to viewing a beautiful landscape through obscured glass.

D.: On enquiry into the origin of thoughts there is a perception of 'I'. But it does not satisfy me.
   M.: Quite right. The perception of 'I' is associated with a form, maybe the body. There should be nothing associated with the pure Self.
   The Self is the unassociated, pure Reality, in whose light, the body, the ego, etc. shine. On stilling all thoughts the pure consciousness remains over
   [Talks].

Equally, on recognising the interval between thoughts, to conclude "I am a jnani, my work is complete", despite the fact the view is obscured by attachment to mind/body/world, is a grave error and the mischief of maya.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:42:43 AM by Nishta »