Author Topic: Arunachala Sketch.  (Read 355 times)

paul

• View Profile
Arunachala Sketch.
« on: August 05, 2017, 01:15:43 AM »
Hello Everyone, I tried to insert the JPEG of the Arunachala sketch but couldn't get it to work. I'm not sure whether it will be attached either.

There is a print of a sketch of Arunachala on one of the walls at Sri Ramanasramam. In the sketch the mountain is coloured red, and some of the buildings are lightly coloured brown. It is a simple sketch but seems to capture Arunachala perfectly.

I have recently read that the sketch was actually made by Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi himself.

Is anyone able to confirm whether it was Bhagavan who actually made this sketch.

Thank you.
Paul.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:43:04 PM by paul »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Arunachala Sketch.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »
Paul,
Not sure whether Bhagavan actually colored the sketch...The Sketch was done by Sri Bhagavan for Sivananda Swami...Here is the wonderful story from Ramana periya puranam (available as a free download) by Sri V Ganesan:

Doraiswamy Iyer was a very well to do and educated man who was blessed by Bhagavan. In contrast, the next attendant was ignorant, innocent and humble. Sivananda Swami was known for his childlike innocence. It was perhaps because of this innocence and inner purity that Bhagavan blessed him, not just once, but on two occasions. 
The original Tamil version of the Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi had just been published. It was published under the title Nool Thirattu. The book was available in the ashram bookstore. Some of Bhagavan's attendants could afford to buy the book. But Sivananda Swami, a complete renunciate, had no money in his possession. My grandfather, the sarvadhikari, being the strict disciplinarian that he was, would not give the book free of cost to anyone. Could Bhagavan leave his humble devotee without this precious book? Bhagavan had an unused notebook. In this notebook, he copied the entire collected works in Tamil. He never revealed what he was doing - he only kept writing for long periods of time. When the task was completed, he called out, 'Sivanandam, come here. Where will you go for the money to buy the book? I have myself copied it. Keep it.' 
Sivananda Swami felt so ecstatic that he wanted to plunge into sadhana that very instant. However, understanding that he needed Bhagavan's help to achieve this, he approached Bhagavan, and with childlike innocence asked, 'Bhagavan, will you give me a mantra or a special upadesa by which I can emancipate myself?' Bhagavan smiled and replied, 'Unakku nee unmaiyaaga iru'. Though, it literally means, 'Be true to yourself', its true spiritual content is 'Abide always [in you] as Awareness'. 
Bhagavan called him again after a few days. During this time, Sivanandam, having turned inwards, sensed that Bhagavan was Arunachala. He wondered to himself, 'Is it true? Is Bhagavan Arunachala?' The very next day, Bhagavan called out to Sivanandam and said, 'Bring me your notebook.' Sivanandam brought the notebook that Bhagavan had given him.  Bhagavan kept the notebook for a couple of hours, and then opening the notebook to a particular page asked, 'Where is the doubt? Are you satisfied?' Bhagavan was pointing to a sketch of Arunachala that he himself had drawn because Sivanandam had the doubt whether Bhagavan was Arunachala or not. Sivanandam was delighted to receive this clarification.   
Sivananda Swami had another wonderful experience on the very night that Bhagavan dropped his body. When Sivananda Swami was in the Nirvana Room in the early hours of the morning, Bhagavan called out to him. Sivananda Swami went up to him and Bhagavan said, 'Santhosham', meaning 'I am happy'. Everyone else in the room was already tense and anxious because it was obvious that Bhagavan would shed his body at any moment. They all wondered why Bhagavan had said 'santhosham' because this definitely was not a happy situation; in fact, many people were in tears. Bhagavan looked at Sivananda Swami and explained, 'The English people say "thank you" to express their gratitude; we have no such substitute except "santhosham"'. The marvel of it was that at that very moment, Sivananda Swami experienced happiness and bliss. 

I developed a very close rapport with Sivananda Swami during the 1960's and 1970's. This same, humble and innocent attendant blessed me saying, 'Ganesan, the core of Bhagavan‟s teaching is that happiness is one's true nature. Outwardly, Bhagavan is Arunachala, and inwardly Arunachala is happiness. Remain in that state of happiness. I bless you.'

Namaskar
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:52:26 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
Ramana Periya puranam is available as a free download here:
http://www.aham.com/RamanaPeriyaPuranam/

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:36:19 AM »
Thank you Ravi.

The story about Bhagavan and Sivananda is a very moving. I now plan to read all of RAMANA PERIYA PURANAM

The drawing of Arunachala in Sivananda's book is different to the one that I attached.

Thank you again.
Paul.