Author Topic: I AM  (Read 456 times)

Nishta

• View Profile
I AM
« on: August 04, 2017, 05:02:44 AM »
When Maharshi said "I Am" is your True Self, he was referring to the egoless "I Am".
Not the ego-bound "I am" that most can easily recognise.

D.: Is there thought in Samadhi? Or is there not?
   M.: There will only be the feeling "I Am" and no other thoughts.
   D.: Is not "I Am" a thought?
   M.: The egoless "I Am" is not thought. It is realisation.

It is not difficult for the ego to recognise the sense of "am-ness" within.
It is an error to conclude that that "am-ness" is my True Self. My work is complete.

The conversation below between Maharshi and a devotee, details that you are likely only recognising the ego-bound "I am".

D.: On enquiry into the origin of thoughts there is a perception of "I". But it does not satisfy me.
   M.: Quite right. The perception of "I" is associated with a form, maybe the body. There should be nothing associated with the pure Self.
   The Self is the unassociated, pure Reality, in whose light, the body, the ego, etc. shine. On stilling all thoughts the pure consciousness
   remains over.

M.: Be that "I". It is the direct method.
   D.: I am aware of the "I". Yet my troubles are not ended.
   M.: This "I-thought" is not pure. It is contaminated with the association of the body and senses. See to whom the trouble is.
   It is to the "I-thought". Hold it. Then the other thoughts vanish.

Note: "I Am" is synonymous with Silence, Stillness, Awareness, Consciousness, Beingness etc.
As such, the stillness you recognise, just like the "am-ness", is likely to be the ego-bound stillness, not the Stillness of the Self.

If there is a Peace that passeth all understanding then it is likely the "Am-ness" of the Self.
If there isn't you have merely recognised the ego-bound "am-ness".

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:18:03 AM by Nishta »

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: I AM
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Nishta

you have opened a beautiful age old topic that never fades and asks for more and more clarity to many.

you need to tell what is the conclusive message you want to convey?

interestingly i will quote an incident from my associaton with maharishee.

it was in 2010.  when i was introduced to Bhagavan by Search book.   Though i developed deep taste and started reading core teachings,  I did not have much grasping on self enquiry.

in one of the trips to Ramanasramam,  near the new meditation hall where they have kept Bhagavan big photo,  I was sitting there.
suddenly a thought arose,  'Nija Naan yedhu kandupidi'.  meaning ' find out the true I' . this came as a intuitive instruction from Maharishee.  I wondered where and how this sentence was coined in my mind and whether it was valid.

In 2011 when my material problems melted and I had the leisure to read more Ramana literature,  that time I understood from David Godman writings on the background of real Self I and ego Self I.

I was surprised this came as a one liner instruction in 2010 itself.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:39:21 PM »
you dont have to be the "i" , you are already it ..... you only have to stop believing you are not
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:20:17 AM »
you have opened a beautiful age old topic that never fades and asks for more and more clarity to many.

you need to tell what is the conclusive message you want to convey?

I agree it is an important subject ksksat27. And so easily overlooked.

The post can be summarised by what has already been stated,
It is not difficult for the ego to recognise the sense of "am-ness" within.
It is an error to conclude that that "am-ness" is my True Self. My work is complete.