Author Topic: Can we consider pooja as a vasana?  (Read 534 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Can we consider pooja as a vasana?
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
one of the replies contained this sentence:

It may be helpful to read the articles on Cycle Swami (Ramaswamy Pillai) posted under The Human Gospel of Maharishi. The danger of the vasanas created by pujas etc are clearly mentioned.

I dont know under what context Ramaswamy Pillai spoke about the danger created by pujas etc.   

But I think we have fully mis-understood the basic difference between sadhana and vasanas.

Sattvic type of pujas -- as followed and laid out in tradition like sri vidya, lalitha sahasranamam, vishnu sahasranama, visiting temples and parayana of aditya hrudayam etc.  are NEVER NEVER to be considered as vasanas.

They are powerful aids to purify our mind in fast forward mode.   Sometimes only performing absolute devotion and lalitha sahasranama parayana alone will result in full realization.   

As Sadhu Om told, jnana and bhakthi are two wings.  the above said so called 'pooja vasanas' are the powerful aids and modes of expression of bhakthi.  we perform utter miscalculation when we try to fit them as repititive vasanas.

One who has observed Bhagavan Ramana Maharishee will clearly understand the importance Bhagavan gave to external worship.  Bhagavan installed sri chakra,  he encouraged every Friday puja to Mother.   Bhagavan carefully included hymns from sri suktam in daily veda parayana.
Today when we go to any ashram , 75 percent of time -- elaborate puja only take place.  so all of them are indulged in 'pooja vasanas?'

It is more than an aid, it is realization of a particular deity with form in your mind atmosphere.  It is deep rooted protection after death to have a personal God and do these 'pooja vasanas'

What is only true is, like in Natesa Iyer case, Bhagavan may give command at ripe stage to dissolve the deities etc.  but that is just before dawn of realization.  Do we say that mere repititive vasanas brought Natesa Iyer close to that maturity?

There was a person Abhirami Bhattar who was mad after Abhirami. In his tamil poems, he has explained all rituals.  Why Abhirami Battar? even Sri Shankaracharya has subtly mentioned all sri vidya rituals in his saundrya lahiri.  so they are pooja vasanas?

I think we are confused on basics.   I repeat-- vasanas are towards perishable material objects.

pooja -- if it is done to saguna brahman like shiva or vishu they are not vasanas.   For further clarity on what makes a deity a Saguna Brahman, one should read deivathin kural. 

So one should perform with devotion and faith what he used to perform -- interms of pooja, abhishekam etc.  till the very end.

Also it is not that the Gods like Shiva or Devi are just aids.  They do exist in their realms,  even Sri Aurobindo has acknowledged it in his works. 

Take for instance Ganapathi Muni.  can someone go and say him that 'Varahi' upasana is a pooja vasana?  No it is not. Because that is Saguna Brahma Upasana.   Upasana when sattvic is not a vasana. 

When we have a world, there is God.  Ulladhu Narpadhu clearly states that.   Vyavaarika satyam should not be confused with Absolute Advaita.  Even Ribhu Gita has a story around this. The author worshipped Lord Shiva at end of each chapter.  it is not mere myth.

only certain tamasic rituals in the name of devotion and certain modern day tantric cults ( left hand path) are bad vasanas.  they may submerge sadhaka in darkness.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Can we consider pooja as a vasana?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
Dear Kskat

Thanks for opening this topic .Kanchi Mahaswamigal and Sringeri Acharaya's and teachers in the Adi Shankara Parampara have laid great stress on daily puja's and they are all meant only to purify the mind receive blessings of the God to remove the obstacles in our day to day life . In the sankalpa we use the term "durithaa kshayadwara sree parameswara prityartam " and that itself clears the reason why we do the daily puja i.e to remove the duritas and to receive blessings of the Lord .
Prayer being an action and it never goes waste ( every action produces a reaction and prayer being a positive action produces a positive reaction ) and might be its effects is not visible but it does produce the effects .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam', Letter 55 ('Guri (Concentration) Alone is the Guru (the Preceptor)':
Yesterday morning Yogi Ramiah questioned Bhagavan thus: ?Swami, some disciples of Sai Baba worship a picture of him and say that it is their Guru: How could that be? They can worship it as God, but what benefit could they get by worshipping it as their Guru?? Bhagavan replied, ?They secure concentration by that.? The Yogi said, ?That is all very well, I agree. It may be to some extent a sadhana in concentration. But isn?t a Guru required for that concentration?? ?Certainly, but after all, Guru only means guri, concentration? said Bhagavan. The Yogi said, ?How can a lifeless picture help in developing deep concentration? It requires a living Guru who could show it in practice. It is possible perhaps for Bhagavan to attain perfection without a living Guru but is it possible for people like myself??
?That is true. Even so, by worshipping a lifeless portrait the mind gets concentrated to a certain extent. That concentration will not remain constant unless one knows one?s own Self by enquiring. For that enquiry, a Guru?s help is necessary. That is why the ancients say that the enquiry should not stop with mere initiation. However, even if it does, the initiation will not be without benefit. It will bear fruit some time or other. But there should be no ostentation in this initiation. If the mind is pure, all this will bear fruit; otherwise, it goes to waste like a seed sown in barren soil,? said Bhagavan.
?I don?t know, Swami. You may say that a hundred times or a thousand times. To be sure of one?s own progress, a living Guru like you is required. How can we give the status of a Guru to a lifeless portrait?? he said. With a smile on his face, Bhagavan said, ?Yes, yes,? nodding his head and then kept silent. Brother, all I can say is that that smile and that silence were radiant with knowledge and wisdom. How can I describe it?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
Dear Kskat

Thanks for opening this topic .Kanchi Mahaswamigal and Sringeri Acharaya's and teachers in the Adi Shankara Parampara have laid great stress on daily puja's and they are all meant only to purify the mind receive blessings of the God to remove the obstacles in our day to day life . In the sankalpa we use the term "durithaa kshayadwara sree parameswara prityartam " and that itself clears the reason why we do the daily puja i.e to remove the duritas and to receive blessings of the Lord .
Prayer being an action and it never goes waste ( every action produces a reaction and prayer being a positive action produces a positive reaction ) and might be its effects is not visible but it does produce the effects .

thanks atmavichar sir.  beautiful point

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
Dear Ksksat27,
        :) Puja is defined as "purnaat jyayate iti puja", that which is born of inner fulfillment. the external actions are only aids to invoke that inner fulfillment.
any expression of that inner fulfillment is puja.

In other words, the external paraphernalia is only an aid to discovering inner fulfillment. if, instead of delving deeper, i get caught up in the paraphernalia, then that is a vasana -- but then we cannot call such an activity puja in the first place.

so the ritual or the external action is not real puja, and one may get attached to these things and even get into the habit of showing off ! but when such is the  case i would not call it puja -- its only puja when one uses those external actions as an aid to delve deeper and abide as Self.

Love!
Silence

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:43:30 PM »
Dear ksksat27,
          :) Let me add to that a few more thoughts.

1. so puja itself is the discovery [or inner reveling as Self] of purnatvam [completeness/fulfillment] taking support from some act.
2. the external activities may form vasanas, not puja itself, since if i revel as Self even for a moment that burns the vasanas away.
3. just the external actions, i would not call it puja, it would call it external rituals associated with puja. its not puja until i start reveling in Self ... ie, until i surrender.

Now, the entire philosophy is : "the ground on which i fall, i take support from the same ground to get up" ! this is the philosophy. so we get attached to physical body and hence we create a physical image of God to go beyond the physical image... it is the going beyond that is called puja, not the physical image. a physical image may create attachment , but if it creates attachment it means i am not doing puja there ... i am actually playing with the image! its only when i go beyond all forms taking help form the forms that i can call it puja.

similarly we can take support from anything ... pick any vasana, take support from it and go beyond ! This is the beauty ! work can be worship. usually work creates tension and worries, because i am attached to the result... by surrendering it to God or by bringing in knowledge ... as i learn to work being in the present moment ... that is worship ... because i am using that activity to go beyond !

Love!
Silence