Author Topic: A Testimony For The Sattvic Diet  (Read 303 times)

Orihh

• View Profile
A Testimony For The Sattvic Diet
« on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
My first encounter with the idea of Sattvic eating was about a year ago when I read Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's answer to a devotee's question about quieting the mind, where Bhagavan said "Of all regulations taking sattvic food in moderate quantities is the best".  This prompted me to immediately adopt a Sattvic way of eating (in addition to my vegan diet which I had begun 6 months earlier). 

For many months, I ate only plant-based foods that were freshly cooked, and I avoided rajasic and tamasic foods such as garlic, onion, fermented sauces, excess oil salt and hot pepper, etc. This had a profound affect on my mind, and I soon discovered by trial and error which foods would produce unwanted mental states.  After a few months of this, I eventually turned to eating mostly ripe fruit such as bananas, mangoes, papaya, melons, etc. This also went on for a few more months.

About six months ago, I had a break in my sadhana, and I stopped eating sattvic food and went back to eating tamasic and rajasic vegan food. In only a matter of weeks, my mental health began declining, and my mood began to change throughout the day more quickly and drastically than in the previous months.  I did not attribute this to my diet at the time, but when I decided to get back to sattvic eating a few weeks ago,  I realized a very obvious change in my mental state.

My mood has been quite stable again, and for the majority of the time, I feel fine if not great.  The couple of times I've had non-sattvic foods, I immediately felt tired, over-stimulated, or depressed.  To me, all of this is clear evidence that the quality of the food you eat has an immense impact on your body and therefore your mind (and vice versa).  I'd advise all sadhaks who are not already eating a sattvic diet to adopt it. 
Om Namo Saradamma