Author Topic: Preparations For A Trip To Arunachala  (Read 705 times)

Orihh

• View Profile
Preparations For A Trip To Arunachala
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm planning to come to Tiruvannamalai this June, and have made arrangements to stay with an orphanage in the town.  I will be staying for three weeks, and hope to do much sadhana during this time. I will apply for an e-visa and purchase plane tickets soon. Are there any specific preparations that I should make before leaving for Arunachala? Some people have mentioned in other posts that one should contact Ramanasram before coming, is this still necessary even though I will not be staying there?

Aside from specific things I should need to arrange/bring on my journey (such as vaccinations - which vaccinations are necessary for a westerner?), are there any practical tips or pieces of advice about being in India that I should know of? This will be my first time traveling to the country, so I can only guess what it would be like.

Much thanks for the help!
Om Namo Saradamma

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Preparations For A Trip To Arunachala
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »
Dear Orihh

Nice to hear that you are going to Thiruvannamalai.

Normally foreigners take Malaria vaccinations. (I heard it is not a must )
During the month of June it is  hot temperature , drink more water.
Pl visit Ramanasramam, skandashramam, virupaksha guhai, Guhai Namasivayar temple, Big Arunachala temple, Adi Annamalai temple .
Pl do Girivalam in the Morning between 4 to 8 am. You can have lunch at Ramanashramam once or twice  for this you  inform before to  Dr Srinivasa Murthy or Mr Mani, Ramanashramam.

Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Orihh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
Thank you for your response Balaji.  Today I read the travel page on this website and found a lot of valuable information. 

I'd like to know, how important would it be for a foreigner to have access to clean water?  Would it be safe for me to drink the water(which I've read is scarce at the moment) that locals drink or should I always have bottled juice or water I've filtered myself instead?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:01:00 PM by Orihh »
Om Namo Saradamma

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »
Dear Orihh,

Drink only bottled water or boiled water. Eat cooked food. Stay away from ice and raw foods. Being your first visit you may still catch a bug. Ashram food is safe.

June is not the best month to visit and if you can't take the heat you may need air conditioning.

Make sure you have medication handy for headache, flu, and stomach disorder.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
Dear Orihh,

Suggest that you have a word with one gentleman Mr.Srinivasa Murthy - who takes care of accomodation - in Ramanasramam (RAmansramam phone no+91- 4175- 237200)or any other staff member in Sri Ramanasramam who can guide you ,since Sri RAmanasramam has a lot of foreign visitors .

Suggest that you keep the addresses and phone numbers of your country's embassy/consulate office handy.
Keep your money in 2 or 3 places and be weary of unscrupulous auto rickshaws.At the Tiruvannamalai temple ,there will be people asking for money to feed cows or something like that - stay clear from all of them ,be fearless, your money is yours to be spent at your discretion and you are a guest of India. Be familiar with the conveyance fare, whether you are travelling in an auto or a call taxi don't pay more and feel short changed . If there is a facility in your ashram, to deposit your belongings safely ,please use that while still keeping some money for daily use.Try to have 2 or 3 Indian confidantes whom you can rely on in case of any difficulty .

You probably will be coming from Chennai (5 hour journey to Tiruvannamalai ) in which case there are cabs available. You can check with Sri Ramanasramam   and see if you can club your journey with someone else both while going and while returning .
If you a lady, then needless to say additional care has to be taken .
The southern part of India is a safe place for women to travel but all the same try to go everywhere with some trustworthy company of both sexes.
While going on Girivallam please see that you have company on above lines  .Tiruvannamalai like the rest of South India is facing severe water shortage and you should be aware of this, while not being perturbed.

In case of any difficulty, you can even write on this forum , bid your time and there will be surely someone who will be in a position to help you to get out of that difficulty  .There may some forum member at  Tiruvannamalai or there may be someone nearby from Chennai or Bangalore who  can help.

Having said all this ,which are of the nature of elaborate precautions since you are visiting a foreign country  (hope for the best but be prepared),place your faith in Bhagavan.While taking above precautions and other precautions suggested by others, still be free and be peaceful and trust Bhagavan  to take care of you .He never fails us.

Regards,
Anand.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:09:46 PM by Anand »
Sundaram Anand