Author Topic: A Divine Hospital of Medication through Meditation - Shilpi Virupakshah*  (Read 893 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
(*of Davanagere - in Karnataka):

(Mountain Path, Jan March 2016)

It is now way back - twenty five years ago -- that an intimate spiritual bond got established between us and Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.  We first visited Sri
Ramanasramam in the year 1990. Fifteen of us reached Tiruvannamalai from Davangere, Karnataka, by bus to have Bhagavan's darshan.  It was as if Bhagavan Himself had invited us to His abode.

I had had many divine experiences by then, and at the time my mind was always in an ethereal state.  These cosmic experiences were so new and strange that I felt like exclaiming 'What, what is it..?', just as Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa did when he first had divine experiences.  The differentiation between the real and the unreal (Isvara and Nashwara) was vivid in my being.  The quintessence of Sri Ramana Maharshi's sayings - the 'I' manifested everywhere;  and there nothing existing other than the divine 'I' - became part of my consciousness, leaving me in a permanent state of joyousness (ananda).

My Sadguru, Sri Sishunaala Sherief, was a mystic and divine master from a small village in Haveri district.  Through his spiritual songs and divinity, he made it a well known place in India.  His songs are always very dear to me and ever hover on my
tongue. Sri Shishunaala Sherief says, 'Know yourself' (Ninda nee thilako). Guru Ramana's philosphy begins with the same thought - 'Who am I?''

As I crossed the arch of Sri Ramanasramam, a deep silence enveloped me, in which I felt I ever abided, having been there many, many ages and that I would be there for ever.  I felt that the Asramam could give the true seeker the experience of being in Mount Kailash, the abode of Lord Siva, and perhaps an even better one.  A seeker like myself, who is still in the bondage of the physical body, would find it difficult to control mind and body in a challenging place such as Himalayas.  The cold and scarcity of food and water would distract me.                             

contd.,

Arunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
In Tiruvannamalai I realized that Lord Siva, Kailasapathi Himself, had incarnated on earth as Sri Ramana.  My quest, yearning, delusions and dualities were quenched by
Master's divine grace and mercy, elevating my mind to a deep state of meditation.  I found no difference between Sri Shishula Sherief and Sri Ramana Maharshi. I realized that it is Lord Siva who dwells in the lotus hearts of both souls.

In the ocean of life with its enormous ebbs and tides, Bhagavan drew me into the deep ocean of silence.  Later I received His guidance and teachings through His writings. His words were like an oasis in the desert.  Advaita is not easily understandable, but Bhagavan made it sound familiar and easily attainable.  This is what makes Him a unique master.  More than His words and teachings, Sri Ramana Himself became very dear to me.  He is a true father, a loving mother, a divine friend, an eternal Sadguru.  His simplicity, desire- less- ness, freedom from all passions, and His teaching that only the 'I' exists and nothing else, His state of ever abiding in that 'I' exists and nothing else, His state of ever abiding in the 'I' made a deep impression on me.

Sometimes my heart wept and melted, looking at the photos of Bhagavan when He sat on the hot rocks of Arunachala, caring nothing for the sun's heat that scorched His human form.  At His Asramam, He fed us with delicious food, and soothed our bodies and souls under cool roofs. Such motherliness makes my heart melt and tears comes to my eyes.  We are indeed fortunate to have a father and master like Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Bhagavan silently summons us every year.  We, a group of ten to fifteen, come once or twice a year and stay for three to four days in Sri Ramanasramam under His divine care. Bhagavan takes us into deep meditation, immersing our karmic minds in the divine waters of the invisible Ganga, eliminating all obstacles and washing out the impurities of the mind, to realize only 'I'.  In the twenty five years that we have made our annual journey to Tiruvannamalai we became acquainted with Sri Ramanasramam, Arunachala Hill, the Arunachala Temple, the Giri Pradakshina route and the railway station which brings us to Him.  Beyond these places we never felt the need to go, as the whole world lies within Sri Ramanasramam.

For many years we traveled by bus from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai. About two years ago, we were pleasantly surprised to hear that a train from Kurla to Yeshwantpur would continue on to Pondicherry, through Tiruvannamalai.  It seemed that Ramana Himself had organized a train from Davangere to Tiruvannamalai.  Is not this a true example of Bhagavan's affection and grace towards His devotees?                   

Sri Allamma Prabhu, the great Siva Sarana (devotee of Lord Siva) of the 12th century in Karnataka and Nijaguna Shivayogi of the 15th century, were masters and Jnanis and were praised and loved by Sri Ramana.  Bhagavan read the writings of these two
great personalities and sometimes guided His devotees by narrating instances about them.     

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:26:18 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Like the sixty three Tamizh Nayanmars, the Siva Sharanas of the 12th century were devotees of Lord Siva, who strove only for his love and grace and created a spiritual atmosphere wherever they went.  The period of the Sharanas is considered a period of great spiritual revolution.  People of all castes and creeds came together to attain the knowledge of bliss and were transformed into Maha Siva Sharanas.   They wrote about their spiritual experiences and their way of life in verses called Vachanas.

Allamma Prabhu was the first leader of the assembly (Shoonya Simhasanadheesha)
at the Anubhava Mantapa, the place where the Shiva Saranas met everyday and shared their spiritual experiences. He guided many devotees on the path of advaita. One of his Vachanas is as follows:

Karpuradha giriyamele aragina kambvidhuda kande,'
Angina kambadhamele hamsaviddudha kande,
Kamba bendhu, Hamsa haariththu noda, Guheswara.

Guheswara is his Ankitha Nama
The Lord of the great secret.
I found a pillar of wax on a mound of camphor,'
I found a swan on the pillar of wax,
The pillar burnt and the bird flew away, Guheshwara.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Here, the mound of camphor represents the mundane world, the pillar of wax represents the human being, and hamsa, - the swan - represents of the self.  When the body consciousness is burnt, then the self is awakened towards liberation. One day, as I was circumambulating Bhagavan's shrine, my mind withdrew into itself and my eyes closed without my knowledge.  My tread slowed, and I was plunged into deep meditation.  I sat in the left corner of Samadhi, deep in the self, unaware of the surroundings, place or time. Another day, at dawn, in one of the rooms in Sri Ramanasramam allotted to us, sitting on the bed, I kept gazing at Arunachala Hill through the window.  Watching the Hill, my mind and eyes were stilled, and I could not withdraw my sight from the vision of Arunachala.  I sat like this for hours, drawn inwards into deep meditation.  When I regained consciousness of the outer world, it was dusk.  I had lost myself in the Self the whole day, as Sri Guru Ramana says.  During recent visits, such a state of meditation persists as long as we stay in Sri Ramanasramam.  These deeper meditational experiences were beyond anything I had imagined. 

Bhagavan was ever in the state of Samadhi (awareness of the Self) from His 17th year to His 70th, and even in the absence of His mortal body, He exists everywhere in Sri
Ramanasramam and its vicinity. That made a deep impact on me and is perhaps the cause of my experiences.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:38:15 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
We have been to several Ashrams all over India.  But Sri Ramanasramam stands unique
and is the true Asramam for sadhana towards liberation or self realization.  There is no place for ego, money, worldly matters or other mundane activities.  The Asramam can aptly be called Kalpataru, as it satisfies the yearning of seekers in search of the true silence, meditation and peace and self realization.

Though Sri Ramana Maharshi is not in His mortal body, He still is regarded as the monarch of the place, and the Asramam is run as per His wish and guidance. People from various corners of the world, who are His devotees and true seekers of knowledge come here to stay and have His darshan.  They relish the love and grace of the Master and experience the joy and bliss found nowhere else. Devotees stay in the Asramam for three to four days and return to their homes. Some are fortunate enough to stay permanently.  Paryana (chanting of the Vedas), Narayana Seva (feeding the poor and needy), meditatiion, Prasadam for devotees, circumambulating the Hill and the Guru's Samadhi are some of the regular routines in Sri Ramanasramam; and Bhagavan's presence is experienced in all these activities. His presence is also seen in the acts and deeds of all who serve in the Asramam - the cooks, laborers, Ashramites running the library and the management personnel.  It is His discipline, philosophy, simplicity, and perfection in every act that is reflected in everyone, and it assures us of His continuing presence. Silence speaks more than words and there resides a deep calm and peace everywhere.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sri Ramana Maharshi has become the breath of our life, and without Him, we cannot exist.  He is our philosophical deity.  Meditation occurs spontaneously in the vicinity of
His Samadhi. A serene feeling always exists within the premises of the Asramam.  He condenses all thoughts, liquidates them and silences the mind.  He becomes the discoverer of the 'I' in us.  There are thousands of masters in the world who are giving diksha and upadesa.  Sri Ramana never thought Himself as a master or as one who gives diksha and upadesa to devotees, but directed His devotees towards the path of self realization just by His presence and divine silence.

There is a saying, 'The presence and divinity of a Sharana is best experienced and witnessed after death.'  Guru Ramana left His mortal coil in 1950 and is presence is even more alive and more intensely felt now.  He who did not care for food, clothing, and shelter. He who just a loin cloth, begged alms and burnt Himself in the scorching sun without awareness of the external body, now affectionately and caringly provides us with cool rooms and delicious food, and envelops us with the blanket of self knowledge. Guru Ramana is the supreme example of a real Guru.       

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
We truly forget the presence if the over crowded, ego driven, ignorant and messed up world outside us.  It is a wonderful surprise that such a secluded place exists on this earth, that can enlighten and elevate us above all vasanas. Sri Ramanasramam is not
abode form worldly people. One must have practiced intense penance in previous lives in order to step into such an Asramam and have spiritual experiences.

Sri Ramanasramam is the ultimate destination for a true seeker of the Self. I see the devotees in the Asramam, and I can in no way think that they are ordinary people.  I feel the presence of great Rishis, Sadhus and Jnanis among them.  The devotees who have come from far off lands in search of such destination, dedicating their lives at His feet, truly belong to this place.  I feel inferior to them when I see them chanting Sri Rudram and singing Tamizh parayana. Guru Ramana shows no discrimination between the rich and poor, black and white, literate and illiterate, East and West and showers His grace through His divine look according to each person's inner capacity and yearning.

I bow in thanks to Lord Guru Ramana Mahadeva for having created this divine temple of self knowledge for His devotees on this earth.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.