Author Topic: Bhagavatam  (Read 462 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Bhagavatam
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
Dear friends ,I was recommended to listen to Bhagavatam as s means of purifying the mind.At the same,I was told that there are very few people who know the esoteric meaning of each story and able to convey its deeper meaning.Can you  suggest a good. source either online or otherwise for this. Thnx,Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavatam
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
Anand,
One of the best exponents of Srimad Bhagavatham(bringing out the inner essence) is Nochur Sri Venkatraman...His talks on Bhagavatham should be available in Sri Ramanasramam...He also gives talks every year in summer at Narada Gana Sabha,Chennai and one may buy the CDs that are on sale during that period...His talks are imbued with the sweetness and insights born of intimate experience....so,warmly recommended.
A few of the talks are available on youtube(in Tamizh)...Please check:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAhIwMt8w84
Namaskar

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Bhagavatam
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »
Dear Sri Anand,

It is indeed very hard to find a good source of translations and commentaries of Bhagavatam. I believe You have better choices there in India,since the choice on the internet is not so good when Srimad Bhagavatam is the subject.

What i have noticed so far is that it is very important to read Bhagavatam no matter You do not understand it. Bhagavatam is full of allegories and symbolism,and it is not what appears to be on the surface.
But there is a good reason why it is written in such way.
The point is to read it from the very beginning to the end with an open mind,and when You start to read it again You will see that these secrets will open itself up to you,endlessly one by one. So,understanding will come when You and Your mind are ready,so to say,not before.
My experience is that no matter we hear commentary on something,we will not be able to digest it and understand it fully until we are simply ready. And there lies also the beauty of exploration and discovery,when some simple story or sentence from the book gets some new unexpected meaning and beauty when some truth behind it becomes clear. Just read it,never mind You do not understand it well.

Also,my advice is not to read commentaries only,but to read the raw text too,chapter by chapter,and see what happens. Only have in mind that not all translations are good,and find some which is trustworthy. Some writer who proved to be the good knower of sanskrit and is wise enough to understand it. Sri Ravi gave You one source,Sri Graham very much recommended the Cohen's version,so You can check.
So far,i did not find very good translations and commentaries,and i am using few sources and compare them with the translations from sanskrit,word by word. Everyone is molding the meaning according to his own understanding. For instance,the lover of jnana will insist on one sort of interpretation,changing the parts which are not meant to be changed,and are there for some very good reasons,and the lover of bhakti will do the same,only changing it according to his own understanding. So,to read the raw text is the best i believe.

With love,