Author Topic: Severe Water Scarcity in Thiruvanamalai  (Read 143 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Severe Water Scarcity in Thiruvanamalai
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
Saw this info in Sri Ramana Ashram website

Severe water scarcity in Tiruvannamalai. Please postpone plans to stay at the ashram during April ? July 2017
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Sadhak

• View Profile
Re: Severe Water Scarcity in Thiruvanamalai
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Very true. There is already a severe scarcity and summer has not even started yet. Villages near the ashram are getting government supplied piped water once every THREE days. On Monday some buses were stopped by people demonstrating for water.

It would be quite foolish to plan an extended visit (anything more than a few days) to Thiruvannamalai until the situation improves.  Normally there is some rain in July but we have to wait and watch. Glad that the ashram has decided to stop providing accommodations. Some lodges and hotels may also follow.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
I thought that Chennai was only suffering from severe water crisis but it seems even Thiruvanamalai , why even entire State of  Tamil Nadu is experiencing severe water crisis due to lack of rains . I too planned a visit to Thiruvanamalai but dropped my plans after seeing this advisory from the Ashram .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »
In fact Chennai is probably the only place that has not been affected much by the drought. It gets water from the Krishna which helps a lot even though it is not enough for normal water supply.  The entire state is under severe drought and Thiruvannamalai is the worst affected. I have not seen anything like this in Feb/March for at least the last ten years. May be more.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
The problem with Chennai is that it has heavy water consumption and unable to cope with the water crisis inspite of water being supplied by Tankers . It is an irony that in Dec 2015 entire Chennai was submerged in water and now people are suffering from lack of water . Had those excess water been properly stored we would not have faced this water crisis . Time to store , manage and use water properly .