Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199796 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1650 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38:45 PM »
Annamalai Swami once asked Bhagavan about this verse:
`We know where the moon is, and we know where the Ganga is, but where is this wish-fulfilling tree?' `If I tell you where it is,' replied Bhagavan, 'will you be able to leave it?'

I was puzzled by this particular answer, but I didn't pursue the matter. A few minutes later I opened a copy of Yoga Vasishta which was lying next to Bhagavan. On the first page I looked at I found a verse which said, 'The jnani is the wish-fulfilling tree'. I immediately understood Bhagavan's strange answer to my question. Before I had a chance to tell Bhagavan about this, he looked at me and smiled. He seemed to know that I had found the right answer. I told Bhagavan about the verse but he made no comment. He just carried on smiling at me.

Padamalai
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 04, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »
Though Bhagavan generally ignored disputes and quarrels among devotees , he did occasionally show his displeasure in subtle ways:
One night, after the evening meal, there was a big quarrel in the dining room that resulted in Subramaniam Swami hitting Krishnaswami in the face. Krishnaswami immediately went and complained to Bhagavan but Bhagavan appeared to take no interest in the matter.
Some one had paid for a big bhiksha [feast] for the following day, which meant a lot of work for everyone in the kitchen. Ordinarily, Bhagavan would have come to the kitchen at 3 a.m. to help Subramaniam to cut the vegetables but that morning he remained in the hall and made Subramaniam do all the work by himself. Subramaniam spent the first two hours wondering why Bhagavan was late but eventually he realised that he was being punished for attacking Krishnaswami.

padamalai

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 04, 2016, 11:35:34 PM »
With his sweet smile, which graciously bestows the grace of his teachings, shining Padam ,bhagavan dispels the deep sorrow wherein [we] languish in fear and torment in the pain of our ignorance.
There is no way of describing the radiance of his smile. One who might appear a hardened businessman would leave Tiruvannamalai with a lilt in his heart from that smile. A simple woman said, 'I don't understand the philosophy but when he smiles at me I feel safe, just like a child in its mother's arms.' I had never yet seen him when I received a letter from my five-year-old daughter: `You will love Bhagavan. When he smiles everyone must be so happy .

padamalai

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 04, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »
Once in February 1947, a poor villager came into
the hall and said to Bhagavan, ?Swami, I do not want
anything but my stomach is burning with hunger. Please
arrange to give me a handful of rice to satisfy this hunger.?
Bhagavan?s glance toward his attendants indicated his
desire. So one of the attendants took the man to the
kitchen. After they left, Bhagavan looked at those in the
hall and said, ?Do you see that? He is a very poor man
but has no desire except one and that is to fill his aching
stomach. With that, he will be satisfied and will go and
lie down under a tree and sleep happily. Where do we
have the satisfaction that he has? We have any number
of desires. If one is satisfied, another arises.Hence where
is the chance for our desires to be fulfilled??

from the Saranagathi newsletter

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
Whenever there was a shortage of rice we used to go to the forest and collect a variety of green leaves. While we were cleaning them prior to cooking, Sri Bhagavan would explain the characteristics and medical properties
of each one of them for example, how one produced cold in the body while another produced heat. We used the to fill a large vessel of cleaned greens and cook them in whatever way Sri Bhagavan suggested. At eating time Sri Bhagavan would ask us to have the dish of greens as the main dish and rice as the side dish. These meals, tasting like nectar, would fill us up completely. It is not known how Sri Bhagavan came to acquire his knowledge of the special qualities of various leaves. He came to Arunachala as a schoolboy and immediately engaged himself in intense tapas. It is therefore amazing how Sri Bhagavan, who did not take up any other activities after coming to Arunachala, came to know cooking, the stitching of leaf plates, the making of flower garlands, the preparation of pickles and many other activities. There was seemingly nothing that Sri Bhagavan, who was perfection itself, did not know how to do. Sometimes we used to bring leaves to make leaf plates. Echammal, her sister and a few others, who knew how to stitch them properly, used to stitch along with Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan would stitch the leaves more beautifully, more neatly and more quickly than those who were very experienced in the art. The leaves he stitched always appeared beautiful and perfect.

padamalai

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
`Prescribed diet' is a translation of pattiyam, an ayurvedic term. Ayurvedic practitioners say that their medicine will not work unless the pattiyam, the prescribed diet, is also followed. The implication in this verse is that the medicine is one's sadhana, such as enquiry or surrender, while the accompanying prescribed diet is entrusting all of one's burdens to Bhagavan.
This explanation is supported by Lakshman Sarma's Tamil commentary on verse 17 of Ulladu Narpadu Anubandham. Lakshman Sarma received this explanation directly from Bhagavan while he was having private lessons on the meaning of this work:
One should, with faith, hand over to Iswara all of the burdens, such as the family and the body, which naturally appeal; and then remain without anxiety. Otherwise one cannot perform, with a one-pointed mind, either devotion or self-enquiry.
padamalai

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 27, 2016, 10:12:24 PM »
863   Why are you, 0 Ramana,
        A naked beggar crying out
        For alms and roaming here and there ?
        Why not seek the company
        Of a nice, young lady and so start
        Straightaway a decent household life ?

[* This verse alludes to an incident during which Muruganar was helping in the kitchen when Bhagavan and others were cutting greens. Bhagavan's work was very meticulous while that of Muruganar was rather messy. Bhagavan commented on this and Muruganar wrote this verse humorously, asking Bhagavan why he was finding fault with him when he himself was a beggar more fit to be a householder.]
Tiruchitrarnbalam
Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai
Translated by Prof. K. Swaminathan page 80

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 29, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
Does it not pain the Tree ?

One morning K was cutting down the ripe coconuts from the trees while Bhagavan was returning from the cowshed (goshala). Bhagavan asked K what rod he was using to pluck the coconuts whether it had a bamboo bit attached to the end or an iron point.  K remarked that it was only an iron sickle.

Bhagavan asked: ?Will not the trees be hurt but by sharp iron? Would not  a rod with a bamboo bit at the end serve the purpose??  And Bhagavan did not wait for a reply.

K went on with his work  nor did he change his instrument, but continued to use the iron sickle every morning.  A week later, at the same time as on the previous  occasion, while K was cutting down the coconuts from the tree, one fell on his forehead and struck his nose very painfully.  This news was reported to Bhagavan.

While expressing pity for the man, Bhagavan also remarked ?Now he will know what it is to be hurt, and also how much his iron sickle must have hurt the uncomplaining  trees?. How like this of of  Bhagavan, who finds all nature pusating with life and light!.

Boundless Ocean of Grace Volume  II Page 204

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 28, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
A few days later I asked, Scientists have invented and produced the aircraft which can travel at great speeds in the sky. Why do you not give us a spiritual aircraft in which we can quickly and easily cross over the sea of samsara? Bhagavan replied, The path of self-enquiry is the aircraft you need. It is direct, fast, and easy to use. You are already travelling very quickly towards realisation. It is only because of your mind that it seems that there is no movement. In the years that followed, I had many spiritual talks with Bhagavan but his basic message never changed. It was always: Do self-enquiry, stop identifying with the body and try to be aware of the Self, which is your real nature.

face to face ith Ramana Bhagavan Annamalai swami
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:44:00 PM by Balaji »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 28, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
Q: But we are worldly. There is the wife, there are the children, friends and relatives. We cannot ignore their existence and resign ourselves to divine will, without retaining some little of the personality in us.

A: That means you have not surrendered as professed by you. You must only trust God. Surrender to him and abide by his will whether he appears or vanishes. Await his pleasure. If you ask him to do as you please, it is not surrender but command to him. You cannot have him obey you and yet think that you have surrendered. He knows what is best and when and how to do it. Leave everything entirely to him. His is the burden, you have no longer any cares. All your cares are his. Such is surrender. This is bhakti. Or, enquire to whom these questions arise. Dive deep in the Heart and remain as the Self. One of these two ways is open to the aspirant 

Be As You Are  by David Godman