Author Topic: Advice needed on Mantra Diksha via Dream  (Read 7470 times)

devnithiavel

• View Profile
Advice needed on Mantra Diksha via Dream
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
Namaste to all,

I have a burning question, which I have yet to get a convincing answer for more than a decade. I hope some learned, wise brothers and sisters here could provide an advice on this.

I'm 31 years of age now. When I was 20, I had a dream. In there, Lord Murugan appeared, fully adorned with majestic jewellery & clothing. He said this, "Aarezhuttu Manthiram", which directly translates to "6-letter Mantra". After which, he laughed and ran away. I'm aware that "Aarezhuttu Manthiram" means "Om Saravanana Bhava". But apparently, he didn't mentioned the mantra in the dream, he just said "Aarezhuttu Manthiram" and ran away.

After which, I was very confused on what I was supposed to do, and went asking some priests and elders and what should I do. Some of the common advices I was given was:

1) You have been given mantra diksha by the Lord via a dream. Since that 6-letter mantra is Om Saravana Bhava, you should continue to recite it. Lord Murugan has appeared to you as a Guru.

2) That is not a mantra diksha, because the Lord didn't specify the mantra to you clearly as "Om Saravana Bhava". He just said 6-letter mantra and vanished. There could be another 6-letter mantra. Since he didn't specify it, you shouldn't chant.

3) A mantra diksha is only valid when you get that dream 3 times in a row, so don't bother reciting it. It could be just another dream. Reciting a mantra without a proper diksha could result in adverse consequences.

It has been 11 years on, and I'm still unsure on what should I do. I had chanted "Om Saravana Bhava" 108 times on some days, but didn't continue for more than 10 days in a row. Over the years, I had been chanting the mantra on a "stop-start" basis, without actually continuing consistently. The reason is fear. Fear that the mantra could actually harm, if indeed, it was just another dream and not a proper mantra diksha. I had even asked Lord Murugan myself, to tell me if I should take that as a diksha and chant the mantra, but, no response at all. Honestly I decided to put that dream and mantra aside and carried on with my life. But 2 recent incidents prompted me to look back into it again.

Incident 1
Recently, I started chanting "Om Gam Ganapathayae Namah" for 21 days, as I was fulfilling a vow to Lord Ganesh. During those 21 days of chanting, I could see differences that the mantra was creating in my life. I had a sudden rush of energy, obstacles seem to arrive but they could be easily controlled and swept aside. The feeling was like some blockage was being cleared from my life. But after the 21 days, I stopped, as I was told by elders to stop the chanting after my fasting as it was not given to me by a Guru. Alright I obliged.

Incident 2
This was absolutely scary. It's Purattasi now, so last Saturday, I chanted "Om Namo Narayanaya" at home. While chanting through halfway, I had a sudden dash of extreme fatigue in my body. My limbs turned weak, I was so tired, and I could barely mutter the mantra. Somehow I pulled through the 108 recitations and completed it. After which, I was so tired that I just spread out my legs and slept in my altar room, at the very spot of the place I meditated. It was a short 20 mins nap. But when I woke up, I was Ok. Felt normal. I didn't know why this happened. Whether was the mantra not suitable for me? Or maybe it was indeed suitable?

The both incidents above made me question myself. When I chanted "Om Saravana Bhava", nothing happens. It was very normal, like going through the motion. But the both mantras above gave me some kind of experiences. I can't figure out on what should I do.

I'm wondering, is that dream a mantra diksha experience? Was my sharing of that dream to others a sin? (I was told this as well)

I would greatly appreciate if I could be offered some of your advices and experiences. It would be of great help. This confusion has been going on for 11 years. Many thanks to all.

Thank you!!!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Advice needed on Mantra Diksha via Dream
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
Dear devnithiavel,

Welcome to the forum, by what you have expressed, it appears that you have been asking for advise for over 11 years now, and are still continuing the same, and you have mentioned that you have been unable to carry on with the Japam for not more than 10 days in continuity and it appears that you have not been able to take up one advise and carry forward with absolute faith and discipline. I am afraid, your asking for advises from various people will do you no good, if you yourself have no strict discipline and conviction. Sometimes, if we keep asking for advises, the sanctity of advise received would get diminished having no value or respect for the advise and the person as well.

Either you trust your own intelligence and come to logical conclusion and go through the repercussions of your own decisions or take up the advise of the wise person, and keep up your word and follow up the advise to the end no matter what happens.

I understand, my response may be slightly unexpected, but there definitely appears lack of clarity on your side.

In our tradition, especially in matters of spirituality, we don't go about window shopping for advise from various persons, and if some advise is not in our liking, we do not just move on.

In Gita, there is a beautiful verse -

tad viddhi pranipatena
pariprasnena sevaya
upadeksyanti te jnanam
jnaninas tattva-darsinah

If you intend to ask somebody for some advise, you just cant ask them as though some wordly question, first we should be clear enough whom you want to ask for advise, he should be learned and respect worthy spiritually by learned people. To him, you go and approach reverentially by by completely submitting yourself fully, by thought word and deed and by way of your body - to be ready to render what ever service may be required of you, and very submissively waiting for the right time and moment and place and when you lay your question or query to Him, in such an auspicious situation, what ever response comes of Him ought be carried over irrespective of any repercussions.

(1) It is not enough merely to prostrate before the Jnanis. We must make Sarvaswa Sharangati (complete surrender) to the Sad-guru.

(2) Mere questioning is not enough. The question must not be made with any improper motive or attitude or to trap the Guru and catch at mistakes in the answer, or out of idle curiosity. It must be serious and with a view to achieve moksha or spiritual progress.

(3) Seva is not rendering service, retaining still the feeling that one is free to offer or refuse service. One must feel that he is not the master of the body, that the body is Guru's and exists merely to render service to him.
- (from Sai Chat Charitra)

May the Lord's blessings be onto you, and guide you with right wisdom forward.

Best,
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Dear devnithiavel,

Welcome to the forum!

It is interesting question You have asked. Since i became interested in spirituality,i had very rich and interesting dreams as well. Coincidentally,i got my 'first' mantra through dream also. The only difference is,it came by itself to me in the dream. To explain it better,i started repeating it on my own,even if i heard that mantra for the first time that very moment,it was completely unknown to me. Later i searched a lot on the net about it,and found the connection between that same mantra and my particular needs and fields of interests,so to say. What is most important,i was very eager to get the mantra,and that wish was very intense i must say. That is the reason i got it that same night.

Second time,i got different mantra from someone in my dream,and it made me also confused which i should use. But,after long investigation and questioning,i realized that mantra had one specific task,so to say,and it was helpful for me at that moment,and for one particular difficulty i had. So i realized it had the purpose,and,it made me realize one thing more. Since it was dedicated to completely different deity,it helped me understand more directly, it was the same God,that same Supreme Self which manifests through all these different manifestations.

There was a time when i was completely obsessed with these mantras and i started to force myself to repeat them. That started to affect me in a way not so good. I was simply forcing myself,which is not good. I did not repeat it coz of love,or coz i am inspired to do do,but it was just one task more for me. I wanted results. And these were all the wrong reasons. Mantra should be repeated with thinking about that Deity,with love and reverence. And that is when results come. If it is just dry repeating,then it loses much of its power,and it can also harm.
After that experience of mine,when i started to obsessively repeat mantras with some desires in my heart,i dream one dream more,where i am literally said 'To stop doing stupid things,and to resume my practice.' Which is off course Selfenquiry.
I use these mantras even now,but not in the same manner. At least,not with the same purpose in mind. Better to say,without any purpose what so ever. It is just reminder of the One i love,just,so i cannot forget Him,or this very Self,so to say. Nothing more...

I have found one thing interesting,that all the mantras which have one goal in common,and that is realization of the Self,or simply just wish to connect with our Deity,are not at all harmful. The ones,which are for our selfish ambitions,desires,like wealth,or similar,can turn to be very dangerous. In many ways. Even when we get what we want,there is a price,so to say. Because,everything has its cost,and all must be deserved.
It also depends what individually each of us needs. Some do not need mantras at all,and they can be only harmful for them. It depends...

It all depends on what You want and wish for. And what kind of results You were expecting to get.
It is also very important in which particular moment You had this dream. What were You wishes and Your state of mind at that time...

About Your experience number 2 and sleep,i believe it is the good thing. It should have the soothing effect.
About sharing of spiritual experiences and dreams,well,i should not call it sin at all,but it is best to keep them for ourselves. For many reasons. I know it can be very challenging thing to do,coz we all get excited to share,and happy about it. It is natural. but like our plans,and such things,it is better,when we can,not to share with anyone. Like it is said in my country ' Some bad ears can hear it'. It is advised coz of our pride about it too.

Do You love,or have some reverence for Lord Muruga? If that so,i do not see the reason You should not repeat the mantra. Off course,it should be done with the thinking of Him. You can also read more about Him. Maybe Scanda purana,or something similar. To get to know Your Deity better is all what matters. It is how the love grows.

Intense wish to know,and understand Your dream and everything about it,is maybe,what is most important here. It maybe turns to leads You in different direction,than what You had in mind. And it may lead You on the right track eventually. Only Your Being knows the real purpose.
After all,it lead You here,to Bhagavan. Lord Muruga Himself. :)

With love and prayers,

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:29:01 PM by Jewell »

devnithiavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »
Dear devnithiavel,

Welcome to the forum, by what you have expressed, it appears that you have been asking for advise for over 11 years now, and are still continuing the same, and you have mentioned that you have been unable to carry on with the Japam for not more than 10 days in continuity and it appears that you have not been able to take up one advise and carry forward with absolute faith and discipline. I am afraid, your asking for advises from various people will do you no good, if you yourself have no strict discipline and conviction. Sometimes, if we keep asking for advises, the sanctity of advise received would get diminished having no value or respect for the advise and the person as well.

Either you trust your own intelligence and come to logical conclusion and go through the repercussions of your own decisions or take up the advise of the wise person, and keep up your word and follow up the advise to the end no matter what happens.

I understand, my response may be slightly unexpected, but there definitely appears lack of clarity on your side.

In our tradition, especially in matters of spirituality, we don't go about window shopping for advise from various persons, and if some advise is not in our liking, we do not just move on.

In Gita, there is a beautiful verse -

tad viddhi pranipatena
pariprasnena sevaya
upadeksyanti te jnanam
jnaninas tattva-darsinah

If you intend to ask somebody for some advise, you just cant ask them as though some wordly question, first we should be clear enough whom you want to ask for advise, he should be learned and respect worthy spiritually by learned people. To him, you go and approach reverentially by by completely submitting yourself fully, by thought word and deed and by way of your body - to be ready to render what ever service may be required of you, and very submissively waiting for the right time and moment and place and when you lay your question or query to Him, in such an auspicious situation, what ever response comes of Him ought be carried over irrespective of any repercussions.

(1) It is not enough merely to prostrate before the Jnanis. We must make Sarvaswa Sharangati (complete surrender) to the Sad-guru.

(2) Mere questioning is not enough. The question must not be made with any improper motive or attitude or to trap the Guru and catch at mistakes in the answer, or out of idle curiosity. It must be serious and with a view to achieve moksha or spiritual progress.

(3) Seva is not rendering service, retaining still the feeling that one is free to offer or refuse service. One must feel that he is not the master of the body, that the body is Guru's and exists merely to render service to him.
- (from Sai Chat Charitra)

May the Lord's blessings be onto you, and guide you with right wisdom forward.

Best,

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the response and it has surely given me a different light to my question. True enough, I do not have that spiritual discipline and clarity. If not I wouldn't be taking more than a decade to understand the meaning of a dream.

From your response itself, I may not have the answer to my worldly question, but I have definitely got a different answer that will put me in good stead for my spiritual practices. It has given me a different perspective definitely. Thank you Sir!!

devnithiavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
Dear devnithiavel,

Welcome to the forum!

It is interesting question You have asked. Since i became interested in spirituality,i had very rich and interesting dreams as well. Coincidentally,i got my 'first' mantra through dream also. The only difference is,it came by itself to me in the dream. To explain it better,i started repeating it on my own,even if i heard that mantra for the first time that very moment,it was completely unknown to me. Later i searched a lot on the net about it,and found the connection between that same mantra and my particular needs and fields of interests,so to say. What is most important,i was very eager to get the mantra,and that wish was very intense i must say. That is the reason i got it that same night.

Second time,i got different mantra from someone in my dream,and it made me also confused which i should use. But,after long investigation and questioning,i realized that mantra had one specific task,so to say,and it was helpful for me at that moment,and for one particular difficulty i had. So i realized it had the purpose,and,it made me realize one thing more. Since it was dedicated to completely different deity,it helped me understand more directly, it was the same God,that same Supreme Self which manifests through all these different manifestations.

There was a time when i was completely obsessed with these mantras and i started to force myself to repeat them. That started to affect me in a way not so good. I was simply forcing myself,which is not good. I did not repeat it coz of love,or coz i am inspired to do do,but it was just one task more for me. I wanted results. And these were all the wrong reasons. Mantra should be repeated with thinking about that Deity,with love and reverence. And that is when results come. If it is just dry repeating,then it loses much of its power,and it can also harm.
After that experience of mine,when i started to obsessively repeat mantras with some desires in my heart,i dream one dream more,where i am literally said 'To stop doing stupid things,and to resume my practice.' Which is off course Selfenquiry.
I use these mantras even now,but not in the same manner. At least,not with the same purpose in mind. Better to say,without any purpose what so ever. It is just reminder of the One i love,just,so i cannot forget Him,or this very Self,so to say. Nothing more...

I have found one thing interesting,that all the mantras which have one goal in common,and that is realization of the Self,or simply just wish to connect with our Deity,are not at all harmful. The ones,which are for our selfish ambitions,desires,like wealth,or similar,can turn to be very dangerous. In many ways. Even when we get what we want,there is a price,so to say. Because,everything has its cost,and all must be deserved.
It also depends what individually each of us needs. Some do not need mantras at all,and they can be only harmful for them. It depends...

It all depends on what You want and wish for. And what kind of results You were expecting to get.
It is also very important in which particular moment You had this dream. What were You wishes and Your state of mind at that time...

About Your experience number 2 and sleep,i believe it is the good thing. It should have the soothing effect.
About sharing of spiritual experiences and dreams,well,i should not call it sin at all,but it is best to keep them for ourselves. For many reasons. I know it can be very challenging thing to do,coz we all get excited to share,and happy about it. It is natural. but like our plans,and such things,it is better,when we can,not to share with anyone. Like it is said in my country ' Some bad ears can hear it'. It is advised coz of our pride about it too.

Do You love,or have some reverence for Lord Muruga? If that so,i do not see the reason You should not repeat the mantra. Off course,it should be done with the thinking of Him. You can also read more about Him. Maybe Scanda purana,or something similar. To get to know Your Deity better is all what matters. It is how the love grows.

Intense wish to know,and understand Your dream and everything about it,is maybe,what is most important here. It maybe turns to leads You in different direction,than what You had in mind. And it may lead You on the right track eventually. Only Your Being knows the real purpose.
After all,it lead You here,to Bhagavan. Lord Muruga Himself. :)

With love and prayers,

Hi Jewell,

Many thanks for the response.

Honestly, I was brought up in a household where my family members were very staunch devotees of Lord Muruga. But there's a catch in that. They're all absolutely strict people, my grandparents and all. You could say, they do not openly display their love and are more to reprimanding and disciplining most of the time. As such, I got exposed to Lord Muruga. I associate him with my family, and the memories aren't all too lovely. I would admit that I lacked love at home, so after a certain period of age, when I was into school, the army and work, life changed and I didn't wanted to associate myself with my extended family as well as Murugan himself. That was when this dream came along actually. Till today, I look at him with some sort of fear, thanks to my family (referring to my uncles, aunties, grandparents. My parents are lovely people). So it was quite a surprise that he appeared in my dream. If you ask me if I have love for him, its more to some sort of liking that arises from fear.

In recent years, I have been more into Lord Ayyappan worship. That's love if you ask me. Honestly, I have suffered a lot. I had scolded Ayyappan on many occasions that he is not helping me in any way. But, deep in me, I love him so much. There's plenty of difference in how I look at him and Lord Murugan. Ayyappan worship has helped me in many ways, particularly, taking away the things that he doesn't seems fit for me, no matter how much I cling onto it. Sometimes it can be painful, well, but I accept the fact that the Lord knows what's best for us. Interestingly, it was through Ayyappan himself that I got to know about Sri Ramana and his teachings!!

Hopefully, I'm heading on the right track.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:26:42 AM »
Dear devnithiavel,

To progress in spiritual sadhana, we all need Bhakti, Jnana and Vairagya all together. One without any of the other would never always be complete. Bhakti without Jnana and Vairagya and Jnana without Bhakti and Vairagya and Vairagya without Jnana and Bhakti - all of these would never be complete and would most often lead us to some sort of incompleteness always.

Just Blind Bhakti alone would do us no good. It has to be coupled with right reasoning and understanding the Tatva - Essence of what is being worshiped. When Bhakti Becomes coupled with Jnana and Vairagya, it becomes Upasana.

I would like to share with you the following link, which describes the story of Bhakti Mata which appears in the Bhagawata Mahatmyam from the Padma Purana. This story very beautifully captures how each one of us need to foster in ourselves the qualities of Bhakti Jnana and Vairagya. Only when all of these are in proper synchronization would the grace of the Antaryami the Sarvavyapi the Lord Shanmukha, The Guru-Guha (the cave Dweller within is the Guru) would reveal to us his real form and all that is to be known and knowing which all else becomes known.

Chapters 1, 2 and 3 :

http://nitaaiveda.com/All_Scriptures_By_Acharyas/Rasikananda_Deva/Shrimad_Bhagavata_Mahatmyam.htm

It is slightly big article. But please do spend some qualitative time over the article and ponder over it, I am sure you would be blessed abundantly by your Atma Guru Murugan and his brother Ayappan.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:28:16 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »
Honestly, I was brought up in a household where my family members were very staunch devotees of Lord Muruga. But there's a catch in that. They're all absolutely strict people, my grandparents and all. You could say, they do not openly display their love and are more to reprimanding and disciplining most of the time. As such, I got exposed to Lord Muruga. I associate him with my family, and the memories aren't all too lovely. I would admit that I lacked love at home, so after a certain period of age, when I was into school, the army and work, life changed and I didn't wanted to associate myself with my extended family as well as Murugan himself. That was when this dream came along actually. Till today, I look at him with some sort of fear, thanks to my family (referring to my uncles, aunties, grandparents. My parents are lovely people). So it was quite a surprise that he appeared in my dream. If you ask me if I have love for him, its more to some sort of liking that arises from fear.

Dear devnithiavel,

I can understand why You had a sort of resistence toward Lord Murugan,and this is most likely the reason why You have been so doubtful about  that mantra,and why it did not produced some effect. At least knowingly.

I would certainly looked upon that dream as a blessing.

If You ask me,i think it is best to devote Yourself to that image of God which You love the most and which is closest to Your heart. Give Yourself the freedom regarding spirituality,and choosing to look upon the God the way You love and feel. Since You had strict and it seems rigid environment. God is freedom after all. To be free to look upon Him the way it is liberating for us,is all what matters.
And in the mean time You can also read something You find inspiring. Any sacred work,something from Bhagavan,or some other Sage,it is not important. Whatever You like. When You devote Yourself to something completely,i am very sure,that fear for Lord Murugan will vanish too.

You know,i was absolutely frightened with Mother Kali when i saw Her for the first time. Everything about Her was so scary for me. But that changed so much,that now i consider Her most gentle and loving,and She seems to be most easiest to approach. And that affection toward different aspects of God seems to happen all the time. At some point that affection goes to Lord Krishna,at some to Her ,at some to Lord Shiva. It is happening this way all the time. I cannot explain it.
After all,there is only One God.
He is The One and Only. This is His play,and His way of alluring and calling His devotees. It is not strange at all He knows best what we need,when His dwelling place is our very Heart.

Wish You all the best!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:30:00 PM by Jewell »