Author Topic: Guilt, sins and Self Inquiry  (Read 1261 times)

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
Guilt, sins and Self Inquiry
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
I am having trouble lately with Self inquiry. My mind is lately filled with a lot of guilt of sins I have committed and thoughts about how I could do such and such a thing. I try to self inquire and sometimes I can go within, but soon I get pulled away by thoughts of guilt over things I have done. I read somewhere that we cannot inquire with an agitated mind. Is there anyway to deal with this or do I just have to wait for it to dissipate through time?

Sadhak

• View Profile
Re: Guilt, sins and Self Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:50:18 PM »
So long as the mind creates standards of morality and tries to shape life according to this standard, there is bound to be guilt, anxiety, fear of sin, not achieving,  fear of suffering in the future due to bad karma etc etc.  All of these agitate the mind. On some inquiry one finds these standards are created by the mind as a way of providing security for the 'I'. This will then lead to the question 'Who am I', 'Am I the body?', Am I the mind'? etc.  Only then real self inquiry starts.

Of course Bhagavan says to give up the very thought of 'I am a sinner', or 'I am this or that' and remain simply as 'I am'. But it is not so easy for most people.

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya
------------------------------------

Without yielding to the doubt 'Is it possible, or not, [for the residual impressions of objects that come from beginningless time, as it were, to be resolved, and for one to remain as the pure Self]?', one should persistently hold on to the meditation on the Self. Even if one be a great sinner, one should not worry and weep 'O! I am a sinner, how can I be saved?' One should completely renounce the thought 'I am a sinner' and concentrate keenly on meditation on the Self; then, one would surely succeed. There are not two minds ? one good and the other evil; the mind is only one. It is the residual impressions that are of two kinds ? auspicious and inauspicious. When the mind is under the influence of auspicious impressions it is called good, and when it is under the influence of inauspicious impressions it is regarded as evil.

- (From 'Who Am I?', Q. 14)
-----------------------------------------

James

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
I recall the Great Ramana Maharshi saying that the only sin is to think of oneself as a sinner.

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:34:17 AM »
>I read somewhere that we cannot inquire with an agitated mind.

It become more difficult to inquire or meditate when our minds are agitated. It is quite natural.

>Is there anyway to deal with this or do I just have to wait for it to dissipate through time?

Actually from my experience, sometimes I have to just wait till my agitated mind become more or less calm. I have to endure pains which agitated mind create.

But one point. Don't think over and over your sins etc... Your thoughts become stronger if u think such thought again and again. Painful thoughts rise up again and again more or less for everyone, if we cant drive away by enquiry, pranayama, japa or any other sadhana or no power to do so because of our agitated mind, we have to wait and endure till the storm go away of its own accord. Just let such thoughts pass in your mind without  involving in and feeding them.