Author Topic: Guru Vachaka Kovai - Sloka 639 - Explanation request  (Read 835 times)

ramesh.aba

• View Profile
Guru Vachaka Kovai - Sloka 639 - Explanation request
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Request explanation of Sloka / Verse 639 of Guru Vachaka Kovai that reads as follows:

639. If the seer and seen were two distinct beings, seeing would never be possible. As seeing is possible, both of them are the same being, and if seen properly, they will become one. See this truth for yourself.

My trouble is understanding the logic in the first sentence of the Sloka. How do one derive that seeing would never be possible if seer and seen were distinct beings? Appreciate an explanation.

Arunachala Siva

shiba

• View Profile
Re: Guru Vachaka Kovai - Sloka 639 - Explanation request
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
The following answer is just my personal view ...

"distinct beings" may mean " there is no connection between two beings".  We seer have to perceive some information form the seen. For example, our eyes perceive the light which is reflected from the seen. Generally there are such connections between seer and seen. If there is no connection between the two, seeing,hearing,smelling so on is impossible.

For me, next sentence "As seeing is possible, both of them are the same being". is difficult to explain. My above explanation is in the limits of modern science. That can't explain the next sentence. Bhagavan explained ego(= the seer) creates the world (= the seen)in " Maharshi Gospel". In the ego there already exists the seed of the world. If so it may be possible to say they are the same being.

ramesh.aba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
Thanks very much for your response Shiba.

I am yet to get conviction on the first sentence. But I think that the second sentence follows from the first. As seeing is possible, two distinct beings are not at all possible.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »
Dear Ramesh,

I just got hold of this book (to check the context) and sloka 639 reads similar to yours.

If seer and object differed in being,
Seeing would be impossible
Seeing does occur, we needs
Must know that they are one in Being

I think confusion may be arising out of the word Seeing. Note it is capitalized just like Being. So it is not the same as seeing for the common people living in duality. I can only share my understanding with you.

Seeing = Awareness = Non dual state = End of ego.
The third line says Seeing does occur, which can be understood to mean Jnanis or liberated people. That is non dual state.

By replacing the word Seeing with Non dual state in the sloka, some understanding may be possible.

Of course my explanation may be totally wrong, so you have to validate it.