Author Topic: Vishnu Sahasranama  (Read 2450 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Vishnu Sahasranama
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »
thank you very much sir.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
The following is an English Translation of the Tamil version that I posted earlier with some added info . This incident not only narrates the greatness of Vishnu Sahasranama but also points out that there is no difference between Shiva and Vishnu .

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Power of Chanting Vishnu Sahasranama and Oneness of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu

Once Sri Maha Periyava was camping in Mylapore and it was Pradosham day. He was suffering from high fever. It must have been about 2 o? clock in the afternoon and there was no sign of Periyava recovering. Devotees who had turned up in large numbers to watch Him perfom Abhishekam and Pradosha Pooja to Lord Shiva were worried about His health. Perhaps they felt there was no way Periyava would recover that day. Do ordinary mortals like us know the leelas of the Mahan Atma?

All of a sudden He called his attendants to inform the Vedic Scholars nearby to assemble immediately and start chanting Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam continuously. At about 3 o?clock, as people around were chanting Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam, Maha Periyava started sweating profusely and His fever vanished. He took a bath and started performing Abhishekam and Pradosha Pooja to the Lord.

Sri Maha Periyava showed us a living example of the importance of chanting Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam. On a day auspcious to Lord Shiva, his suggestion to chant Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam emphasized the oneness of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu. Thirdly, He could easily get rid of any ailment but His suffering from fever suggested His belief in Prarabda Karma and how one can get rid of the three Karmas (Prarabda, Sanchita and Aagaami) through pure devotion.

"Shivaya Vishnu Roopaya Shiva Roopaya Vishnave
Shivasya Hridayor Vishnuh, Vishnusya Hridyam Shivam"
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »
Atmavichar,
Many of the reminiscences of Sri Mahaperiyava and the INFERENCES are as per the mindset of the 'devotees'....and these have to be taken as such....If there is anything that Sri Mahaperiyava had to say on these things...that is what may be taken as authentic.

There are  instances where Sri Mahaperiyava was running high temperature and carried on his anushtanas unmindful of the body.

Today a lot of anecdotes are added by 'devotees' and inferences and conclusions drawn ....god only knows what that means.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
Sure Ravi .I concur with you but the main point I want to highlight is that Kanchi Mahaswamigal's emphasis on chanting of Vishnu Sahasranama on many of the occassions and a few have been listed here and whatever so called "miracles" we have to leave it to the devotees and we can neither confirm nor deny that .
But regarding  Kanchi Paramacharya I have found one thing common i.e asking people to chant "Vishnu Sahasranama" when they are going on a padayatra or on other mass gatherings . Whether he did that  to prevent people from indulging in idle gossip or for any other purpose only he knows and rest is our own inference . Even during the last moments of Kanchi Paramacharya there was mass chanting of Vishu Sahasranama like the way Arunachala  Akshara Mana Malai was chanted during the last moments of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi .

Anyway here is an audio clip on greatness of Vishnu Sahasranama by Kanchi Mahaswamigal in his own voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kPCBx1l01U
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »
Atmavichar,
Thanks for that talk by Kanchi Mahaswami...it provides the answer to the questions that you have raised:

regarding  Kanchi Paramacharya I have found one thing common i.e asking people to chant "Vishnu Sahasranama" when they are going on a padayatra or on other mass gatherings . Whether he did that  to prevent people from indulging in idle gossip or for any other purpose only he knows and rest is our own inference

He clearly says that the purpose of Chanting sahasranama is to maintain Bhagavath smarana....and why only 'vishnu Sahsranama' and not any other Hymn like 'Tiruppavai' or 'Tiruvempaavai'?....He observes that this chanting  is forunately still popular and prevalent among many....and while the other hymns may have to be learnt afresh,this is one that people are already familiar with....and by understanding the inner essence of the verses one can free oneself from the cycle of birth and death.

In vishnu Sahasranama itself we shall find all the answers to the various questions and doubts of devotees-Like whether Vishnu and Siva mean different deities,whether there is one one Atma without a second or multiple atmas,etc.....Sri Mahaswami mentions this aspect and brings out how with Vaishanavas the word 'swami' is used for 'Mahans' or Great ones and PerumaL for 'God' and for Smartas 'Swami' means God or Self and 'PeriyavAL' is for Great ones...in his characteristic way of observation....very delightful and insightful.

Just to mention that here is clear evidence of What Sri Mahaperiyava says....Verse 4 and 5 of Vishnu sahasranamam:
sarvas-sharvas-sivah sthaanur bhootaadir nidhir-avyayah
sambhavo bhaavano bhartaa prabhavah prabhur-eesvarah.

svayambhooh sambhur aadityah pushkaraaksho mahaasvanah
anaadi-nidhano dhaataa vidhaataa dhaaturuttamah.

So....Siva,Stanu(The Pillar motionless which another may call Arunachala),eeswarah.....all are among the thousand names of the one God who is all these and more.

So,the observation that Vishnusahasranamam being asked by Sri Mahaperiyava to be chanted on a day 'auspicious to Lord siva' (The word sivam,samboo means auspicious one only) ....and that this goes to prove that siva and vishnu are one.....this is pure circumlocution only.

Vishnusahsranam if chanted with understanding will help gain the needed clarity ....and devotees will do well to understand the significance of the thousand names.

With this clarity,a Brahmin can be a better Brahmin,a Kshatriya can be a better Kshatriya and a Sudra can be a better sudra......whatever be the role one has to play in the world stage,one can play it well....This is what the verses mention:                                                                                       Vedanta gOBrahmanaha Syaat Kshatriyo Vijayee Bhavet
VaisyO Dhansamruddhaha Syaat Soodraha Sukham Avaapnuyaat

sometime during the post-Parliament of religions period Swami Vivekananda first met the celebrated agnostic orator Mr. Robert Green Ingersoll and discussed religious and philosophical matters with him. The evidence of Swamiji's admiration for this honest, forthright man can be found in his lecture in London in 1896 where he said, referring to a conversation he had with Mr. Ingersoll - "In America, there was a great agnostic, a very noble man, a very good man, and a very fine speaker". In reply to Ingersoll's philosophy of not bothering about other worlds and squeezing the orange of this life to the fullest, Swamiji remarked - "I agree with you entirely. I have some fruit, and I too want to squeeze out the juice. Our difference lies in the choice of the fruit. I want to understand the heart of things, the very kernel itself, your study is the manifestation of life, mine is the life itself. I must know the heart of this life, its very essence."

If the essence is understood,the manifestation is automatically taken care of.....but promising 'outer results' without getting to the essence....that misses the point totally.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi

Thanks for your reply . If you can transcribe Paramacharya's talk fully in English and present it here it would be very useful for everyone . Though I got the essence of the same I could not follow his voice very clearly ( I have read more of Paramacharya's transcribed talks through the book " Voice of God " but never heard his voice much ) . No hurry . Take your time .In the meanwhile I am searching the net for more info about Vishnu Sahasranama that Paramacharya and others have shared .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »

விஷ்ணு ஸஹஸ்ரநாமம்
August 20, 2016   
https://srinivassharmablog.wordpress.com

விஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ரநாமம் சொல்வதால் ஏற்படும் நன்மைகள் !!

🌷மகாபாரதத்தின் இறுதிக்கட்டம். பீஷ்மர் அம்புப் படுக்கையில் மரணத்தை எதிர்நோக்கிப் படுத்திருக்கிறார். கர்ணனும் வஞ்சனையால் கொல்லப்படுகிறான். குந்திதேவி கர்ணனை மகனே என்றழைத்து துக்கம் அனுஷ்டிக்கிறாள். கர்ணனுடைய மனைவியும் அவன் உடல்மேல் விழுந்து கதறுகிறாள். இவர்களோடு இன்னொரு பெண்மணியும் கர்ணனுக்காக அழுதாள். அதைக் கண்ட தருமபுத்திரர் கிருஷ்ணனைப் பார்த்து, ??இவள் யார்? இவள் ஏன் அழுகிறாள்?? என்று கேட்டார். அதற்கு கிருஷ்ணர், ??இவள் தர்ம தேவதை. இனி உலகில் தர்மமே இருக்கப் போவதில்லை.
தர்மம் செய்வதற்கென்றே பிறந்தவன் கர்ணன். அவனே போய்விட்ட பிறகு பூமியில் எனக்கென்ன வேலை என்று உலகை விட்டுப்போகிறாள் அவள்? என்றார். தர்மபுத்திரரைப் பயம் சூழ்ந்து கொண்டது.
🌷காரணம்- பாண்டவர்களுடைய பேரனான ஜெனமேஜெயன் ஆளும்போது இந்த நாட்டில் தர்மம் இருக்காதா என்கிற பயம்தான் அது. ??தர்மம் மீண்டும் செழிக்க வேண்டுமென்றால் என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும்?? என்று பரந்தாமனை தர்மர் கேட்க, பரந்தாமனோ ??அம்புப் படுக்கையில் படுத்திருக்கும் பீஷ்மரைக் கேள்; அவர் சொல்வார்? என்றார்.
பீஷ்மரும் தர்மதேவதை உலகை விட்டுச் சென்றதால் ஏற்படப் போகும் அவலங்களைச் சொல்கிறார்:??இனி உலகம் செழிப்புற்று விளங்காது. தேசங்கள் ஒவ்வொன்றும் அநியாயமாகச் சண்டையிட்டு அழியும். அரசர்கள் நீதிமான்களாக இருக்க மாட்டார்கள். அவர்களிடம் பணிபுரியும் அமைச்சர்கள் முதல் பணியாட்கள் வரை ஊழல் செய்து, மக்களை வாட்டி தவறான வழியில் தனம் சேர்ப்பார்கள். அரசனிடம் நல்ல வற்றிற்கு நீதி கிடைக்காது. குருமார்கள் தங்கள் சீடர்களுக்கு ஒழுங்காகப் பாடம் சொல்லிக் கொடுக்க மாட்டார்கள்; சீடர்களும் ஒழுங்காகப் படிக்க மாட்டார்கள். படித்தவன் சூதும் வாதும் செய்வான். மழை பொழியாது; நிலங்கள் விளைச்சலைக் கொடுக்காது; பஞ்சமும் பட்டினியும் தலைவிரித்தாடும். கணவன்மார்கள் தங்கள் மனைவியைச் சரிவர காப்பாற்ற மாட்டார்கள்; மனைவிமார்களும் பதிவிரதையாக இருக்க மாட்டார்கள். அவர்களின் குழந்தைகள் தவறான வழியில் நடக்கும்?
🌷?இப்படி பீஷ்மர் சொல்லச் சொல்ல பாண்டவர்கள் பயந்தார்கள். இதிலிருந்து தங்கள் சந்ததியினர் தப்பிப்பது எப்படி என்று கேட்டார்கள். ??அதை ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ணனே சொல்லுவார்? என்று பீஷ்மர் கை காட்ட, கிருஷ்ணனோ, ??நீங்கள் பிதாமகர். நான் சொல்லுவதைவிட உங்கள் நாவிலிருந்தே நல்ல வார்த்தைகள் புறப்படட்டும்? என்று சொன்னார்.
அப்போது புறப் பட்டவைதான் ஸ்ரீ விஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ரநாமம். அதாவது, எம்பெருமான் ஸ்ரீமந் நாராயணனை ஆயிரம் பெயர் சொல்லி அர்ச்சித்து அவன் மனம் குளிர வேண்டினால் தர்மம் மீண்டும் தழைக்கும் என்பது தான் விஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ரநாமத்தின் மகிமை. பகவானுக்கு ஆயிரம் பெயர்கள் உண்டா என்று நாம் வியப்படையலாம்.
🌷சாதாரண மனிதனாகிய நமக்கே பாலசுப்பிரமணியன் என்று பெயர் வைத்தால், பாலா, பாலு, சுப்பிரமணி, சுப்பி, மணி, மணியன் என்று பல பெயர்களால் அழைக்கும் போது, பகவானுக்கு ஆயிரம் பெயர்கள் இருக்காதா என்ன? இந்த ஆயிரம் பெயர்களைச் சொல்லி, பகவானை வேண்டினால் கொஞ்சமாவது தர்மம் பிழைக்கும் என்பது பீஷ்மர் வாக்கு.
🌷உடனே பார்வதி தேவிக்குச் சந்தேகம் வந்து விட்டது. அவள் சர்வேஸ்வரனான தன் கணவனைப் பார்த்து, ??சுவாமி, இது எப்படி சாத்தியமாகும்? ஆயிரம் நாமங்கள் சொல்லி அதனால் தர்மம் தழைக்கும் என்றால், அந்த நாமங்களை பண்டிதர்களால் சொல்ல முடியலாம்; படித்தவர்களால் சொல்ல முடியலாம். ஆனால் படிக்காத ஒருவன் தர்மம் தழைக்க வேண்டும் என்பதற்காக ஆயிரம் பெயர்களை நினைவில் வைத்துக் கொண்டு சொல்ல முடியுமா?? என்று கேட்டாள். ஈஸ்வரன் புன்னகைத்தார்.??தேவி? நீ சொல்வது சரிதான். ஏதுமறியாத ஒருவன் ஆயிரம் பெயர் சொல்லி திருமாலை வேண்டுவது நடக்காத காரியம்தான். ஆனால் அதற்கும் ஓர் வழி உண்டு.
🌷?ஸ்ரீராம ராம ராமேதி ரமே ராமே மனோரமே ஸஹஸ்ர நாம தந்துல்யம் ராம நாம வரானனே?- இப்படி மூன்று முறை சொன்னால் போதும். சஹஸ்ரநாமம் சொன்ன பலனை அடையலாம்? என்று பார்வதி தேவியின் சந்தேகத்தை நிவர்த்தி செய்தார் ஈஸ்வரன். சரி;

இப்படிச் சொல்வதால் நமக்கு என்ன பலன் கிடைக்கும்? என்று கேட்கலாம். மரா? மரா? மரா? என்று சொல்லியே ராமநாமத்தை உச்சரித்த வேடனும் திருடனுமாக இருந்தவனே வால்மீகி மகரிஷியாக உயரவில்லையா? அது தான் ஸ்ரீராம நாம மகிமை.
மேலும் விஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ர நாமத்தை யார் வேண்டுமானாலும் சொல்லலாம். ஆண்கள், பெண்கள், குழந்தைகள் என்று அனைவரும், அனைத்து இனத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவர்களும் சொல்லலாம். முழு மனதோடு பகவானைச் சரணாகதி அடைந்தால் பலன்களை அவன் தருவான். பேய், பிசாசுகள் அண்டாது. வியாதிகள் அணுகாது. வைத்தியர்கள் கைவிட்ட தீராத நோயும் தீரும். சுகப்பிரசவம் சரியாக நேரும். நோயாளிகளின் காதருகே அவர்கள் மனம் கேட்கும்படியாக சஹஸ்ரநாமப் பாராயணம் செய்வது மிக மிக உத்தமம். மேலும் தர்மங்களும் தழைக்கும்.
🌷ஸ்ரீஆதிசங்கர பகவத் பாதர், ஸ்ரீராமானுஜர், ஸ்ரீதேசிகன், ஸ்ரீமத்வாச்சாரியார், ஸ்ரீராகவேந்திர சுவாமிகள் போன்ற மகான்கள் ஸ்ரீவிஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ர நாமத்திற்கு மிக அருமையான பாஷ்யங்கள் (பதவுரை- பொழிப்புரை) எழுதியிருக்கிறார்கள். இதிலிருந்தே இதனுடைய பெருமையை அறியலாம். சமஸ்கிருத மொழியைச் சரியாக உச்சரித்துச் சொல்ல வேண்டும். இல்லையேல் பாரத ரத்தினமாய் விளங்கிய எம்.எஸ். சுப்பு லட்சுமி அவர்கள் இசைத்த ஸ்ரீவிஷ்ணு சஹஸ்ர நாம ஒலிநாடாவையோ குறுந்தகட்டையோ தினமும் காலையில் நமது வீடுகளில் ஒலிக்கச் செய்வதன் மூலம் நாம் சகல சௌபாக்கியங்களுடன் வாழலாம். பலருடைய வாழ்விலும் இப்படிக் கேட்டு நன்மைகள் விளைந்திருக்கின்றன.
🌷?பரித்ராணாய ஸாதுநாம் விநாசாய ச துஷ்க்ருதாம் !!தர்ம ஸம்ஸ்தாபனார்த்தாய ஸம்பவாமி யுகே யுகே !!🌷
அனைவரும் விஷ்ணு சகஸ்ரநாமத்தை பாராயணம் செய்து விஷ்ணுவின் அருளை பெறுவோமாக !!
ஹரே கிருஷ்ணா
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:10:48 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
Even in this sinful Kaliyuga , a wordly man , though guilty of all sins , becomes pure by meditating upon Govinda - Vishnu Purana

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »
Sins accrue when actions, prescribed by the Shastras are not performed and when forbidden acts are resorted to. A potent antidote for both kinds of sins is the recitation of Lord's Name.- Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Maqhaswamigal

Note : Here God's name refers to any God's name but in the context of this thread we can take recitation of God's name as chanting of Vishnu Sahasranama which comes as an excellent package of 1000 names of the Lord  .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:36:19 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
I know many people who follow this advice of Kanchi Paramacharya by chanting Vishnu Sahasranama in their spare time  , even when travelling by train , bus or flight .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Today I got a WhatsApp message from one  Spiritual  WhatsApp group in Chennai asking everyone to chant today evening from 4.30 pm onwards Vishnu Sahasranamam  thrice and I did chant it . They did not specify the reasons and I guess it must be for raising one's spiritual vibrations on the eve of Tamil New Year which comes tomorrow i.e Thu 14 April 2017 . Whatever may be the reasons  I have always found Chanting Vishnu Sahasranama to be very refreshing and after a long gap I have once again started to chant Vishnu Sahasranama and this WhatsApp message was a wonderful reminder for me especially on the eve of Tamil New Year 2017 . I was also reminded of this treat on Vishnu Sahasranma and hope to keep this thread updated with relevant information regarding Vishnu Sahasranama in the coming days .