Author Topic: A Pilgrim's Log - Ravi Iyer - Mountain Path -July Sept. 2016.  (Read 3946 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: A Pilgrim's Log - Ravi Iyer - Mountain Path -July Sept. 2016.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
After dinner, I learned that C.S. Bedi and some other people were planning another giri valam via the
Outer Path.  So at 9 pm.  I joined them and set off once again for the 3rd time that day.  Since it was
Full Moon, the outer path was solid stream of humanity walking around the Hill.  This was a unique
counterpoint to the experience of the inner path.  An experience of remaining centered on Arunachala
and internally silent despite the tumultuous throng of humanity and the multitudes of vendors hawking
refreshments and wares to the ambulatory population.  The Full Moon was huge and luminous and the
silvery moon light bathed the Hill with an ethereal glow.

It was 12.05 am when I reached the Asramam and the Lunar eclipse was just beginning to cast its
shadow across the Moon.  I lay down in m bed and performed japam for 30 minutes and then fell asleep.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
Friday, January 1st 2010:  Arudra Darsanam / Bhagavan's Jayanti and New  Year.

I got up at my usual time. My legs felt no soreness and my body felt strong and refreshed.
I had my bath and wore a specially starched and ironed shirt and Veshti and walked over to Bhagavan's
Samadhi Hall, where the parayanams had already begun.   The Lingam was decorated in a very grand
manner with all the flowers and garments.  But more than that was a subtle sense of tremendous majesty
that radiated from the Samadhi and was reflected in every picture of Bhagavan. 

I stood in the breakfast line supremely happy.  In my fifty one years I have never attended any family
function of any kind where I had felt more at home, more comfortable and more belonged than on that
one morning at Sri Ramanasramam.

I was standing thus in line with joyous heart when suddenly I was gripped by a shaking chill.  I started
shivering violently and I struggled to control it so that people around me may not become alarmed.
One moment I was feeling totally healthy and vital and in the next instant I was in the grip of this strange
fever.  I continued to shiver all through breakfast and when I got up after the meal, my legs felt very weak.
I stumbled to my room and curled up on my bed in a fatal position as I continued to shiver.  I took some
medicine from my travel pack for the fever and slept very restlessly until 11 am.  Getting up I walked
over to the Asramam.  There I met Dr. Anand Ramanan who had arrived for the Jayanti a few days earlier.
He checked me out and onted that the lymph nodes (glands) in my neck were slightly swollen and felt
that I may be coming down with some viral fever. He prescribed some medicines for me.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
I was scheduled to leave after lunch and I bid my farewells to Sri V.S.  Ramanan and Smt.
Ramanan and a few other Asramam inmates that I had become familiar with.  I circled Bhagavan's
Samadhi and Mother Alagammal's shrine. Normally I always feel the pang of regret and a sense of
separation whenever it comes time to leave Sri Ramanasramam.  But not this time.  I felt clearly
that for there was no leaving this place ever and that from this moment onwards I would always
be here regardless of my physical state.

Standing before Bhagavan with body steadily becoming consumed by fever and a growing deep
pain invading my bones, I felt that whether this body of mine flourished or perished, I had found
my eternal sanctuary beyond Space and Time. I turned and got into the car that would take me
to Chennai.

By the time reached Chennai, I was burning with fever and there was no strength in my limbs.
I would later learn that I had most probably contracted dengue fever. I collapsed into bed at my
brother in law's place. My mother in law tended to me as best as she could and by 10 pm.  I was
able to struggle to my feet and proceed to the airport.  I was feeling so weak that it was hard for me
to think clearly and I was definitely in no position to respond to all the over solicitous inquiries about
how I was feeling by the profusion of relatives and well wishers who were emotionally attached to me.
I boarded the aircraft and flopped into my seat.  I had no strength, yet a part of me remained
unconcerned.  Yes, the body was failing.  Yes, there was tremendous pain in every limb but  I
continued to feel the benevolent protection of Arunachala.  The vision of Parvati with Her abhaya mudra
(fear not gesture) was vivid in my mind and there was no sense of fear.  I fell asleep and did not wake
even for meals except to drink some Sprite on the flight to Frankfurt.  At Frankfurt I had wheel chair
assistance to my connecting flight and again fell asleep until Washington D.C.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
Anu picked me up and when I reached home and crawled into bed, the fever still had me in its grip.
For the next five days,  I continued to remain bed ridden with my body crucified by pain and able to
drink only liquids.  There was strange dichotomy in my awareness.  Even at the height of illness when
I felt sure that it was impossible to ever experience more pain, I felt strangely removed from it.  On
the dawn, still very weak but unable to sleep.  I slowly walked into the kitchen.  It was 4.30 am and everyone
in the house except my dog and I was fast asleep.  As a physician I knew that the best thing for me was
frequent drinks of fluid with salt and I decided to squeeze some lemons and make some lemonade with salt.
I cut the lemon but when I tried to squeeze it I had no strength in my fingers to apply the necessary pressure.

I collapsed into the chair and a prayer rose in my heart to the Goddess in Pachaiamman Koil.  "Mother,
you have left me with no strength to even squeeze a lemon,  what do you want from me?"  Immediately
a thought rose in me, "I am Atma Balam (power of the soul) and I am Deha Balam (the power in the body).
Get up."  Strength flowed into me as I effortlessly got up and made my lemonade drink.  I went back to bed.
When I woke up at 12.30 am., I was hungry and my head felt clear for the first time.  I ate ravenously
for the first time in 6 days.  The next morning I was strong enough to go to work for 1/2 day and from then
on there was no further evidence of any illness whatsoever.

May His Glory remain Ever Transcendent!

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.