Author Topic: Mathru Sri Sarada  (Read 1640 times)

Orihh

• View Profile
Mathru Sri Sarada
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
Hi all!  I was wondering if anyone knows of any information about Saradamma that isn't already in "No Mind I Am The Self", her website, or the old post about her in this forum.  I've been meditating on her name and form for a while now, but I feel as though I need to know more about her in order to increase my love.  I plan on visiting her and Lakshmana Swamy's residence in Tiruvanamalai this December.
Om Namo Saradamma

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Mathru Sri Sarada
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »
Orrih,

I've been meditating on her name and form for a while now, but I feel as though I need to know more about her in order to increase my love.

What is the guarantee that more information would increase your love and not decrease it?

What do you mean by 'Love'?This has to be carefully introspected and understood as otherwise it will be only a 'sentimental excursion' that will not lead one anywhere ;it will leave one high and dry once the 'honeymoon' is over!Love of any OBJECT is like that,be it a saint/ sage or any other person or thing.

If we carefully examine as to what  Love is which is infinite and never wanes ,we shall understand that it has got to be discovered in our self and be part and parcel of it...it has to be discovered in our heart,our very self....and this is what is Bhakti.

I shall post an excerpt from Swami Vivekananda's Bhakti yoga that touches upon this aspect:

worshipping Ishwara and Him alone is Bhakti ; the worship of anything else, Deva or Pitri, or any other being cannot be Bhakti. The various kinds of worship of the various Devas are all to be included in ritualistic Karma which gives to the worshipper only a particular result in the form of some celestial enjoyment, but can neither give rise to Bhakti nor lead to Mukti. One thing, therefore, has to be carefully borne in mind. If, as it may happen in some cases, the highly philosophic ideal, the supreme Brahman, is dragged down by Pratika-worship to the level of the Pratika, and the Pratika itself is taken to be the atman (self) of the worshipper, or his Antaryamin (God as Inner Ruler), the worshipper gets entirely misled, as no Pratika can really be the atman of the worshipper. But where Brahman Himself is the object of worship, and the Pratika stands only as a substitute or a suggestion thereof, that is to say, where, through the Pratika the omnipresent Brahman is worshipped -the Pratika itself being idealised into the cause of all, the Brahman-the worship is positively beneficial; nay, it is absolutely necessary for all mankind, until they have all got beyond the primary or preparatory state of the mind in regard to worship. When, therefore, any gods or other beings are worshipped in and for themselves, such worship is only a ritualistic Karma and as a Vidya (science) it gives us only the fruit belonging to that particular Vidya; but when the Devas or any other beings are looked upon as Brahman and worshipped, the result obtained is the same as by the worshipping of Ishwara. This explains how, in many cases, both in the Shrutis and the Smritis, a god, or a sage, or some other extraordinary being is taken up and lifted, as it were, out of its own nature and idealised into Brahman, and is then worshipped. Says the Advaitin, "Is not everything Brahman when the name and the form have been removed from it "?

Simply put, when we meditate on the form of a sage or saint,our mind becomes inward turned by the suggestion of serenity,selfcontrol,and the god centered visage of that person.In the process,our mind imbibes such traits and turns within into our heart,our self....and we begin experiencing the presence of God within us.....and peace and love wells up within us......To discover this inexhaustible source of wealth within us is the objective of all spiritual practices.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:46:47 AM by Ravi.N »

Orihh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:27:44 AM »
Swamy and Saradamma teach that Love, Devotion, and Surrender to one's Guru is one of the two most effective paths to realization.  However, I've had the impression that this really needs to be done in the presence of the Guru.  In fact, "No Mind I Am The Self" stresses many times that being in the physical presence of a jnani is crucial to spritual progress, and that there's really no substitute. 

So I've been trying to purify my mind as much as possible before I actually go to Tiruvanamalai through tapas.  My devotion has mainly been comprised of meditation on Saradamma's name and form.  Swamy says:

"Concentration on name and form is not merely a beginner's practice.  If it is done with love and devotion, and if the form can be held continuously without any other thoughts arising, then such a practice can take one all the way to Self-realization"

What rings to me is that the meditation must be done with intense love for the Guru.  But I've found it tricky to almost coax myself into loving someone I've never met before.  I thought that if I imitate the way lovers fall in love, then I can develop the same type of devotion to hold me over.  This is why I asked for more information on dear Amma.

I know, intellectually, that she is Here all the time, and that there's no real difference between her and my true self, but when I try to meditate on Saradamma as she truly is, Brahman the one without a second, then I find myself focusing on another object created by my mind. 

I'm not seeking to feel blissful or peaceful.  I simply want to love my Guru with all my heart.
Om Namo Saradamma

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:16:49 AM »
Orihh,

Swamy and Saradamma teach that Love, Devotion, and Surrender to one's Guru is one of the two most effective paths to realization.

Swamy says:

"Concentration on name and form is not merely a beginner's practice.  If it is done with love and devotion, and if the form can be held continuously without any other thoughts arising, then such a practice can take one all the way to Self-realization"

No doubt about this.The Key point is "If it is done with love and devotion"....so,this needs to be understood and appreciated.

I'm not seeking to feel blissful or peaceful.  I simply want to love my Guru with all my heart.

Excellent.....To simply love the Guru with the heart and not with the mind.....This means that one needs to give oneself.....and this is self surrender.
It is the mind that asks for 'more information' for it to 'increase the love'......so,this needs to be clearly seen for what it is.

I warmly recommend the book 'The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna'....you may like to take a look at it.This is a very practical guide where we can learn the fundamentals of Devotion.....and by fundamentals,it is not meant that this is only for 'Beginners'.....it is meant for all seekers whatever their path be,whatever their practice be.One need not be afraid that this would mean getting converted to the faith of 'another guru' or 'cult'.

The link to download a pdf version is here: http://www.estudantedavedanta.net/THE%20GOSPEL%20OF%20SRI%20RAMAKRISHNA.pdf

This is one of the best guides for the spiritual path and clarifies whatever doubts one may have.

Wishing you all the very Best.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:36:40 AM »
Orihh,

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master's prayer
The devotees seated in the room looked at Sri Ramakrishna as he began to chant the sweet name of the Divine Mother. After the chanting he began to pray. What was the need of prayer to a soul in constant communion with God? Did he not rather want to teach erring mortals how to pray?

Addressing the Divine Mother, he said, "O Mother, I throw myself on Thy mercy; I take shelter at Thy Hallowed Feet. I do not want bodily comforts; I do not crave name and fame; I do not seek the eight occult powers. Be gracious and grant that I may have pure love for Thee, a love unsmitten by desire, untainted by any selfish ends-a love craved by the devotee for the sake of love alone. And grant me the favour, O mother, that I may not be deluded by Thy world-bewitching maya, that I may never be attached to the world, to 'woman and gold', conjured up by Thy inscrutable maya! O mother, there is no one but thee whom I may call my own. Mother, I do not know how to worship; I am without austerity; I have neither devotion nor knowledge. Be gracious, Mother, and out of Thy infinite mercy grant me love for Thy Lotus Feet."

Every word of this prayer, uttered from the depths of his soul, stirred the minds of the devotees. The melody of his voice and the childlike simplicity of his face touched their hearts very deeply.

This is the way,we can increase our love....by a simple prayer to God or Guru....We may rest assured that every such sincere ,simple prayer will meet with a response.

Namaskar.

Orihh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:57:58 AM »
Thank you Ravi.N, I will get to reading that pdf.
Om Namo Saradamma

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 06:30:48 AM »
What is the guarantee that more information would increase your love and not decrease it?

What do you mean by 'Love'? This has to be carefully introspected and understood as otherwise it will be only a 'sentimental excursion' that will not lead one anywhere ;it will leave one high and dry once the 'honeymoon' is over!Love of any OBJECT is like that,be it a saint/ sage or any other person or thing.

If we carefully examine as to what  Love is which is infinite and never wanes ,we shall understand that it has got to be discovered in our self and be part and parcel of it...it has to be discovered in our heart,our very self....and this is what is Bhakti.

Dear Sri Ravi, Orihh,

It is a most pertinent reflection above, "What is the guarantee that more information would increase your love and not decrease it?"

We are always wanting more, wanting to know more, looking for something newer and newer, owing to not paying enough attention to what is, being unable to be content with what is, we feel, is that all? is this all?

This begins the big cycle of adyatmic pilgrimage, we go from here to there, round about, knowing more and more and we repeatedly come back to the same position "is that all? is this all?"

This point is very tricky, it is absolutely as easy as it looks and at the same time it could be very challenging. Sometimes, the adyatmic pilgrimage may be necessary. I remember this most profound story, as told by Sri Ramakrishna to explain how seekers often search for Truth or ultimate reality in faraway areas whereas the Truth is very near.

Once a bird sat on the mast of a ship. When the ship sailed through the waters of the Ganges into the black waters of the ocean, the bird had failed to notice this transition. Finally when it became aware of the ocean, it became panicky since its very existence depended upon land where alone it could find food. It left the mast and flew North in search of land. But, it found that the expanse of water was insurmountable and so returned back. After resting a while, it flew South. There too it found no limit to the water. Panting for breath, the bird returned to the mast. Again after resting a while it flew East and then West. Finding it impossible to cross the waters of the boundless ocean in any direction, at last it settled down quietly on the mast of the ship. Just then someone in the ship threw a big slice of bread in the direction of the bird which ate it with great glee. Initially, it had wrongly imagined that land alone offered it a secure dwelling. So it tried to escape from the mast and reach the shore. But after much struggle, it realized that there was no need to search for any escape and that whatever it needed would be available nearby.

Similarly, what a man seeks is very near him. Still he wanders about from place to place. As long as a man feels that God is ?there?, he is ignorant, but he attains knowledge when realizes that God is ?here?.

How can we forget Kabir's wonderful Dohe, which conveys very beautifully the same -

कस्तूरी कुंडल बसे, मृग ढूँढत बन माहि |
ज्यो घट घट राम है, दुनिया देखे नाही |

Kasturi kundal base, mrag dhundhat ban mahi
Jyo ghat ghat ram hai, duniya dekhe nahi

A deer has the fragrance in itself and runs throughout
the forest for finding it. Similarly Ram is everywhere
but the world does not see.

--

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
Hi all!  I was wondering if anyone knows of any information about Saradamma that isn't already in "No Mind I Am The Self", her website, or the old post about her in this forum.  I've been meditating on her name and form for a while now, but I feel as though I need to know more about her in order to increase my love.  I plan on visiting her and Lakshmana Swamy's residence in Tiruvanamalai this December.

Dear Orihh

Matru Sarada , Sri Lakshmana  Swamy are very reclusive people and do not mix with outsiders very much and apart from their public darshans , there is very little opportunity to meet them .But the book "No Mind I am the Self"  is more than self sufficient for you to understand their teachings and follow it up . I had attended a  couple of Public Darshans of Sri Lakshmana Swamy and in his brief talk it has the same content that was given in the book "No Mind ,I am the Self " .So keep reading that book again and again and continue with your Japa .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
Dear forum member

Here is a  web site for mathrusrisarada amma

http://mathrusrisarada.org/
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Sri Lakshmna swami ashramam Thiruvanamalai
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »
being in love is realizing the truth of who you really are ... love itself
loving someone is seeing the other as yourself
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
Orihh

your japa of her name and form is of immense , immense help which cannot be compared with or cannot be realized by others.  you continue the same , come what may.

I am happy to find a devotee of mathru sri sarada.  I have been her devotee (  at least I call myself) from 2010.

She is unique in many ways.  There are no teachings, no darshan, no satsang, no advise, no guidance.  There is no ashram, there are no books ( other than the only one available).  Despite all this,  the Heart reveals itself through Amma.   I worship her with a large portrait in my house and so is my family considering her as our family deity.

Amma is kali herself.  We cannot possibly measure.   

I cannot share much more in a common forum. you can PM me and I can talk about sardamma a lot.  It is a divine leela to talk about Amma.  I don't have any qualifications but strangely by Ishwara's will I think of her.

Regards,
Krishna

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Thank you Ravi.N, I will get to reading that pdf.

Orihh

many of our learned members here offer advise and replies per their perception. no doubt they are of immense high standard and in fact complies more with traditional advaitic outlook.

despite all, in spite of all this, I tell you,  constant thinking of Sardamma's name and form will definitely be beneficial in whatever maturity stage you are in.  if you are ripe, it will reveal Self permanently, if you are average, it will give you glimpses of the true Self or Samadhi. If you are poor ( spiritually) then also the nama will uplift.

I request , not to look outwards to us for all these questions, in fact all these questions will be consumed in the continuous japa.

And if you are going to visit Arunachala Hrudayam, be prepared for anything and everything, there may not be darshan. you are completely ignored. what not?  it is a place of immense benefit.  to stand at the gate itself is tapas.   you can visit daily 9 AM to 10 AM .

there may be many distractions, just ignore them.   personally my hidden vasanas has taken many strange forms over that vicinity. what I don't gain by so much sadhana is gained by standing there for 15 minutes. Time stops there and eternity takes over.